"Religous Sheep" Insults

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Ever since i joined ATS i have seen a lot of atheists on ATS, and it pisses me off when people of no faith tend to call others "religious sheep." I am assuming that it means we are being herded. Im sorry that I will think about my actions and place faith in a higher power, who has the capability to judge me. For the sake of those who do not believe, I urge you to think about your actions "just in case" and "better safe than sorry." What will you non-believers do hypothetically when the higher power(GOD or anyother power) comes and judges you? What will be your excuse then? If calling us believers "religios sheep" a psychological satisfaction, knowing that your day may come also. Why dont you wake up and smell the fire coming. Oh and this is coming from a very scientific person. Even Einstein believed in God when he said "God does not play dice," which later he accepted. I pity those who do not believe.

PS: I am still skeptical of aliens, picture not meant to show my stance on ET life.

[edit on 23-8-2004 by TACHYON]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:01 AM
link   
[Edited on 23-8-2004 by maynardsthirdeye]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:03 AM
link   
If one day i am comfronted by a higher power i will say.

'True, i did not believe you exsist, but i lived a good life non the less. I have always done good by others, and i have never ridiculed anyone for their own beliefs. I have lived selflessly, and always put the needs of those close to me before mine. So if you will condemn me because i didnt believe those who preached your words (keeping in mind many of those who did preach your word were doing it for their own gain and didnt in fact practice your word), even though i led a goodlife, then you lord are truly vain and do not deserve to be the master of the cosmos'

There.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
If one day i am comfronted by a higher power i will say.

'True, i did not believe you exsist, but i lived a good life non the less. I have always done good by others, and i have never ridiculed anyone for their own beliefs. I have lived selflessly, and always put the needs of those close to me before mine. So if you will condemn me because i didnt believe those who preached your words (keeping in mind many of those who did preach your word were doing it for their own gain and didnt in fact practice your word), even though i led a goodlife, then you lord are truly vain and do not deserve to be the master of the cosmos'

There.

What if he tells you, I showed you the signs and you still did not believe? I accept that there are those extremists who mess it up, but the majority do not. The point I am trying to make is to have faith, not to accecpt it only when you see it. There are three levels of belief you can achieve:

1st: You do things because you are afraid
2nd:You believe in God for the rewards
3rd:Unconditional love.

Obviously you are at the zeroth level.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I will say,

'Lord, i saw no signs, and if you did indeed send them they were not enough to convince me of your exsistance as there were many more suggesting you did not exsist in the traditional sense. I am a man of reason and logic lord, and that is the way you have made me, therefore in my life, if i saw more signs pointing to you not exsisting, i was naturally inclined to believe the line in which more evidence presented itself. You will know lord i was religious in my youth, but unfortunately, those whom were chosen to represent your teachings did so in such a poor way they drove myself and many like me away from your word. If you are to punish anyone, my lord, for the lack of faith in todays world, i say start by punishing those you have entrusted to keep the sacred word alive and lead by example. As many of these people lord are exaclty what detracts from you teachings and drives many of my generation away.'

Your right i am at the 0 level according to your little list... i do things because i deem them to be the right thing to do. I do things that will make the lives of the people around me easier. I do things that will have the most positive impact on my close friends, family and the world as a whole.. i do not do things because someone worte in down in a book a couple of millenia ago (a book which has been re-interpreted many times mind you)... i was once religious, and i have studied many religions looking for spiritual peace within myself... i found my peace... i realised that you dont have to belive in anything, just live a good life.

[Edited on 23-8-2004 by specialasianX]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TACHYON
. Even Einstein believed in God when he said "God does not play dice," which later he accepted.

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.

- Albert Einstein

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:12 AM
link   
maynard I just finished editing my reply to specialasianx, I address that, I believe I am at the 3rd level. We must all achieve the 3rd level, which Einstien addressed in a similar fashion.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Why must we all reach this level? I don't believe in the Christian god and I don't think I ever will.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:19 AM
link   

What if he tells you, I showed you the signs and you still did not believe? I accept that there are those extremists who mess it up, but the majority do not. The point I am trying to make is to have faith, not to accecpt it only when you see it. There are three levels of belief you can achieve:

Why do you believe God to be so vengeful as to punish those who lived a good life, but did not grovel at his feet? Why would God need to be worshipped? I think it would insult him to place the vanity and lust for power that is a human "quality" in your thoughts of an all powerful being. An all powerful being should not be in need of affirmation that he is all powerful. And why should you be afraid of an all forgiving god?

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:23 AM
link   
27jd, I am not saying "groveling" just at least accepting him and the 3rd level, which I can say universally for most of the major religions who only believe in one God. You must enjoy your life, but at least dont take it for granted.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:28 AM
link   
How can you love someone you never met?

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I don't think you understand where the sheep accusation is coming from!

Look its nothing to do with the belief in god (theism vs. athieism)!

What it IS getting at is the way believers tend to congregate under INSTITUTIONAL BELIEF ie. religion. Thet don't "just" believe, they believe that this organization/religion/sect is going to lead them to whatever.

This is where the sheep thing comes into it. Its nothing to do with belief in god, but wether your part of a herd or not.

I presume your are part of a religion as there are not many "independant" believers.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Ever since i joined ATS i have seen a lot of atheists on ATS, and it pisses me off when people of no faith tend to call others "religious sheep." I am assuming that it means we are being herded. Im sorry that I will think about my actions and place faith in a higher power, who has the capability to judge me. For the sake of those who do not believe, I urge you to think about your actions "just in case" and "better safe than sorry." What will you non-believers do hypothetically when the higher power(GOD or anyother power) comes and judges you? What will be your excuse then? If calling us believers "religios sheep" a psychological satisfaction, knowing that your day may come also.

Baaaaaaah Baaaaaah Baaaaaah, funny how the ultra religios types preach acceptance and good will towards man, but in practice do something totaly different. Given the fact that alot of religious types blindly follow those who lead thier religions does that not fit the definition of a flock of sheep. More to the point, does not the priest refer to his followers as "the flock"

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   
The religious right is not quiet and docile like sheep. They are loud aggressive and attempt to intimidate other people as any pack of dogs try to do. They scream loudest and act melodramatically as though their viewpoint was the ONLY one that mattered. They are always hyper. Hyper happy, tails wagging and tongues panting, when they are able to force someone to live by their value system. Hyper loud and aggressive, with neck hairs on end and teeth barred, when fighting for their value system.

They are satisfied when congress and the president pass corrupt corporate legislation as long as a few bones of moralistic issues are thrown their way from the corporate banquet table. They gather together in packs/churches in the manner of canine animals. They fiercely impose their system of hierarchy on their young and consider loyalty as some supreme value.

The religious right is not being herded, it is attempting to herd the rest of us for their master(s). If they looked a little closer at the edicts of their master(s) they might have some serious questions, but dogs aren't interested in intelligence, they only value loyalty.

Religious right: Not sheep, dogs.

edit spelling

[edit on 23-8-2004 by slank]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Guys can this not turn into a mudslingning match between religion vs non-religion... i agree that religion is a sham and to have faith does not mean to follow the crowd, but lets keep it civil... dont forget the start of the post states that the poster is sick of remarks about sheep etc. If you want your arguments to have any credibility dont resort to name calling... as for the religious right... i dont think this argument is about politics, its about religion. i know many leftists who are very religious...

TACHYON please reply to my aboce post about what i would say about the signs i got

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Organized (institutional) religion is based on our fear of death. That is the ultimate blackmail technique! The fear of death is the beginning of slavery!
Pretend to someone you "know" what will happen after his death and you will get him to do anything as long as you promise it will be good. As soon as he seps out of line you can threaten him with a unpleasant afterlife. SIMPLE! You don't even need to attend Neurolingustic programming classes to do it!

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:48 AM
link   
As long as State and Church remain seperate I could care less if people worshipped kitchen appliances. People are free to do what they want. I only get pissed at religions when they try to incorporate themselves into our government and I get pissed at atheists when they try to insert their views on others through the same means.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Im with SpecialAsianX on this one. If you live a good life and do good to the people around you and to the world, then you should do fine in this world and in the argued upon afterlife.

If God intended us to all believe in him he wouldnt have built us with a sense of logic that would let us think otherwise. All the evidense points away from a god. If he didnt want us to not believe in him he shouldnt have let us. Man of logic...man of reason....man of Vulcan!!!! Well...with the emotions. If I get some hard PROOF that there is a God, then I will believe. Iv been brought up on science and I need to see the proof.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by 27jdWhy do you believe God to be so vengeful as to punish those who lived a good life, but did not grovel at his feet? Why would God need to be worshipped? I think it would insult him to place the vanity and lust for power that is a human "quality" in your thoughts of an all powerful being. An all powerful being should not be in need of affirmation that he is all powerful. And why should you be afraid of an all forgiving god?

exactly and he judges you according to your deeds so only a guilty person needs to worry

god just wants to be with us and loved by us, belief and to do good is all he asks of us really- if we refuse any of this the punishment is from our own doing and you'll know you deserve it on judgement day.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Oh and this is coming from a very scientific person. Even Einstein believed in God when he said "God does not play dice," which later he accepted.

Actually, Albert Einstein was not pleased when people used quotes such as that one - out of context - to try and argue his religious convictions. In a letter written in english dated 24 March 1954, Einstein said:

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

Albert Einstein, The Human Side also quoted Einstein saying:

I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it.

[edit on 23-8-2004 by Durden]

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join