It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this odour dangerous?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Hi my brother lives in Australia, he and his family live in a townhouse development on the Gold Coast in Australia, their water was turned off in the complex for a few hours no reason given(plumbing work on complex probably) ever since then at around 6pm a terrible smell emanates around the complex (for the last eight days or so) now his family are getting headaches and a funny feeling from the nose up to their eyes.

They contacted the onsite management and the environmental health officer for the Gold coast, but still do not know what the odour is.

My question is does anyone recognise these symptoms, should I get them Asap to leave and come down for a few days until they know what this gas/smell is ?

Or is likely just some sewer problem that isn't dangerous?

They have kids so could it be a source of some terrible airbourne disease?

No one is bothering to keep them informed , they both work , and are coming home to a very bad smell and are feeling sick if they open their door at night for a few seconds as the odour comes in the house.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum just wanted someone who knows about these things to answer , as it is important obviously.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Mate

Sounds like ammonia. Particularly unpleasant. Any leaking bottles of bleach anywhere? Gas maybe?

Other than that I'd say if there are physical symptoms then it's probably not real good.

Cheers

Edit. Just had a thought. Normally sewer and water systems take a flogging at that time as people come home for the day. It's possible there is a blocked pipe somewhere else in the complex. I'd advise to have a plumber come around and check it out. Maybe someone is trying to clear a blockage with too much drain cleaner.

edit on 6-9-2011 by myselfaswell because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
They don't know what it is, it's probably not safe. Maybe I'm just the one with the common sense here.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Mate

Did you actually read any of what was written above.

The question was asked does any body recognise the symptoms to wit I responded with Ammonia because that is exactly what ammonia does.

And as for common sense
get your hand off it.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
when u smell something it means molecules (or ions) of the substance are making contact with (and possibly absorbing into) your nose/lung mucosa

btw, alot of what we 'taste' in food is actually based in large part on its smell/odor, also

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Push the environmental health peeps,get them out...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
You should definitely get someone out and tell them how this started.

It sounds like when your water was turned off if gave all the crap down below a chance to grow a stinky bacteria.

Meanwhile get to the shops and buy a huge bag of soda crystals. Pour half a kilo down every drain hole and shove a cup in your washing machine and put that through a cycle. Wait a while then pour hot water down the holes to sluice it away. My drains stink too, I have to do that a lot.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
My question would be what is happening at 6pm daily?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

Ask your Bro what it smells like-that could give a clue.
Ammonia is very distinctive and stings your nose and eyes.

Maybe its something they use to clean the water pipes system out-when our taps have gone off we get a horrid chlorine smell if they are flushing the system where I live.

Or could it be a dead animal somewhere under the house-does your bro have any heating come on at the time of the smell?

Hmmm.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for replying , apparently the smell has diminished, my guess is at arpound 6pm everyone does their daily number two, so the sewer would be overloaded if not functioning properly, its just people on the gold coast have got very sick from this sort of thing in the past,it is a sub tropical climate that breeds many insects ect.

The symptoms have subsided as the smell has eased off, so hopefully the Environ officers have sorted out the cause.
We will wait and see if smell comes back.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Its back , the Council officer has said they think it is Sulphur Hydroxide, coming from a nearby river, I visited last night and the smell is like a cross between poo poo and rotten eggs.
It is truly awful, but apparently not life threatening?
They are spraying air freshener every half hour and running the air con constantly.
I think they have been dredging the tidal river mouth and may have blocked somewhat the incoming tide?
Perhaps resulting in a lower low tide level than normal?
And the pong is coming from the usually submerged plants ect?
Anyway they are coping for now , there are scores of other people affected in the surrounding area.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Expired
Its back , the Council officer has said they think it is Sulphur Hydroxide, coming from a nearby river, I visited last night and the smell is like a cross between poo poo and rotten eggs.
It is truly awful, but apparently not life threatening?
They are spraying air freshener every half hour and running the air con constantly.
I think they have been dredging the tidal river mouth and may have blocked somewhat the incoming tide?
Perhaps resulting in a lower low tide level than normal?
And the pong is coming from the usually submerged plants ect?
Anyway they are coping for now , there are scores of other people affected in the surrounding area.

Sulphur is a god awful element in terms of odor, but many sulfur-based compounds are not nearly as toxic as you'd think, it's just that our noses are very good at picking it up. SH2, the compound you quoted, is a thiol released from rotted eggs. From memory, it is also released from bacterial break down, etc. I myself have been the victim of various thiols over the past few years in the labs I've worked in, so I certainly don't envy your family's situation. If the vapours are concentrated, they may have the problem of it absorbing into clothes, etc. Bleach will get rid of it, but that of course won't help for most household items.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by hypervalentiodine

The problem has gone I have been informed.
The Council was meant to inform my Brother of the cause, and the Gold Coast water company "Allconnex" said they would inform everyone who made complaint , but alas no answers....probably in case of long term health issues?
As far as I know the event wasn't reported in local news ....despite hundreds of complaints
Just glad they don't live near a nuclear reactor , or chemical manufacturing palnt.
All anyone is concerned with is liability, not duty of care?

new topics

top topics

join