It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abortion: What they don't tell you.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I know you have all heard the stories by people who have had abortions and regretted it for the rest of their lives. I want to know where are all of the stories from people who have had abortions and are happy with their decision? Where are the commercials? Where are the women getting up to the podium at a local highschool and telling the kids about the greatest decision they ever made?

Seems a bit one sided if you ask me.

Do you have a story to tell?
edit on 6-9-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I don't think it's a simple decision for any woman, whether they are pro-choice or not. You'll be hard pressed to find someone truly PRO abortion, but sometimes when the decision is between a simple procedure and attempting to raise a child in seriously un-fit conditions, you pick the lesser of two evils.

As for myself, I'd rather be aborted than be "raised" by a 14 year-old (or a totally careless mother of any age) or someone addicted to crack, etc. If a person of any age or condition feels completely unfit to responsibly raise a child they should be given the option.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

What a good point!!! (even though its sure to bring in some trolls)

I feel that we should remember what the OP has pointed out and remind ourselves that judging people aside, we can never really know someone else's situation and as a woman, I know that no woman makes that decision lightly.

While we all may not feel the same about the Abortion topic, the FACT is it does have a positive impact. For so many reasons.

I won't debate anyone on Prochoice/prolife issues or how I feel about a man having a opinion on what I do with MY body. And while I wont go into details I can say that Yes the option does make a positive difference in the world and can save lives too.

As a society that's quick to dismiss our youth, not protect them, even hurt them at times, It is a RESPONSIBLE choice to know that (of sound mind) you are making the right decision and have the option to NOT to bring a child into this world.

edit on 6-9-2011 by MRSeuphoric1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
I know you have all heard the stories by people who have had abortions and regretted it for the rest of their lives. I want to know where are all of the stories from people who have had abortions and are happy with their decision? Where are the commercials? Where are the women getting up to the podium at a local highschool and telling the kids about the greatest decision they ever made?

Seems a bit one sided if you ask me.

Do you have a story to tell?

i am a man so i've never had an abortion (that i know of) - but i do know several women who have had surgical abortions.
i think/feel the women i know would say, it's no one else's business (actually, my wife just told me to write that last sentence, she added a "damn" in there).

If by chance if your "want to know" is because you like hearing about other people's (private) surgical procedures and hence the reason for your asking if anyone has "a story to tell"? i have had my gall bladder removed and cataracts removed and lenses replaced (both procedures were great for me).

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I got pregnant at the age of 17 and was about to finish high school.Yes I would've walked across the stage pregnant. I actually thought the guy I was with was going to be the one I married, but knew we weren't ready for kids. I did go to an adoption agency and to Planned Parenthood and talked with people about the different options. My step mom (actually legal mom by then) said that if we kept it we would have to get married and I wasn't ready for that. If we had someone adopt it we wanted someone from family but couldn't decide on whose. I had also asked him to get his GED since he dropped out and find a job cause he didn't have one at the time. He didn't make an effort for either. After the procedure, i felt like crap physically, but also felt like a weight was lifted. I wasn't ready to raise someone else. My friends at school knew and some didn't agree, but they accepted my choice and stood by me. Later on we did end up breaking up for other reasons, but I do believe some stemmed from my decision. He didn't agree. Don't get me wrong it wasn't the easiest decision I've had to make and yes sometimes I do wonder what it would be like having a teenager now but I have never regretted it. I know I made the right choice for me at that time. I have three beautiful kids now and am really happy, I was ready.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Don't abortions increase your chances of cancers like ten-fold? I think it was breast cancer. Anyways it screws with all the hormones. I don't agree with abortions nor are they good for you. but in the case of the lesser of 2 evil's and it being in the very early stage, well then maybe.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Abortion is a personal choice, not one to be taken lightly or without a great amount of thought. There are physical, mental and spiritual implications of such a decision but in the end, it is an individual choice and not one the state need involve themselves as they posses no knowledge of such matters as surpasses the individual that makes the choice.
edit on 6-9-2011 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by nyancat

Dont quote facts that are fake....

And dont derail this thread.....It is not about your opionon of abortion...

Here is a medal for being the 1st to take this where we all knew it might go.

As for the poster who shared her story, your brave and respect to you for knowing what the right thing FOR YOU was to do.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Oh really? Who are all these people who have heard these stories because I don't know any of the people you speak about who have lived with a life of regret. Most of the women I know who struggled with the choice of whether or not to have an abortion went through hell in making that decision but each had what they considered solid reasons and still stand by their convictions to this day. Whether or not I would have made the same choice is not even anything I've ever considered because it's not my place to be judgemental like that. It's also not my intent to debate pro-choice/pro-life with anyone because we're all entitled to our own views and opinions.

With that said, you asked for stories from women who had abortions and are happy with their decisions. The word "happy" is really somewhat unfair and I think that you know it. I have personally never known anyone who was "happy" as in being happy about not being tied down or happily relieved for selfish reasons. I suppose that there are people out there like that, but none that I know personally. So as for someone coming forward who, in retrospect is "happy" with their decision, it is a tall order to place and given the overtones of your challenge, I doubt that anyone would be willing to share such a highly personal decision with someone who is so clearly opposed to the subject matter. Perhaps I'm mistaken about your own personal views but that's what I've read between the lines of your thread. Maybe there will be one brave soul who will come forward to show that there are many considerations that go into making such a choice and if so, I'll be very impressed. Please feel free to set me straight if I'm mistaken about your feelings on the topic because I could be wrong but you seem to just be looking to pick a fight...

Timidgal

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
There are a lot of women who are scarred by their choice. There are a lot of women who aren't. While there's almost no reason that I think it is right to abort a human being, that never gives me the reason to hate the mother.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by IPILYA

Ipilya - I applaud you for your honest post. As I said before, I'm not one to judge because each of us are our own harshest critics at the end of the day. I'm merely expressing my admiration for your having the courage to come forward with your story.

TG

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
My mother had me at the age of 16.. It was a massive decision to keep me, she doesn't regret it.. but my selflessness regrets it for her. I cant help thinking that if i were never born.. she would had her opportunity to live out her teens and have lots of fun go to university and so on.. instead she inured money struggles, no free time, stress, no support from the father (he didn't have time for us) (now i don't have time for him)
My birth feels as if i have ruined 1/4 of her life, even tho she tells me I am the best thing that has ever happened.
This is quite a big dilemma in my life
I wish some days i were never born

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Probably because abortion is a very personal decision that most women don't want to talk about. I'm sure you don't want to talk about intimate things you do with your own body. And no one wants to hear it anyway.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

I know you have all heard the stories by people who have had abortions and regretted it for the rest of their lives.

I have not heard these stories. Absolutely EVERY woman I know who has had an abortion is VERY happy that they made that decision.

And there are plenty of good stories about abortion... Here are some

So you have posted two ideas, neither one of which you bother to back up with some sort of source material... Your post is total opinion.

I suspect there are people who regret having an abortion. Welcome to life. We all make decisions we regret at one time or another. This is life. We have to live with the consequences of our decisions. That's why reproductive choices are so difficult to make and important to be able to make freely and legally.

Regretting an action, freely taken, is no reason to make that action illegal. It's really none of your business at all.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by MRSeuphoric1
reply to post by Screwed

What a good point!!! (even though its sure to bring in some trolls)

Boy did you hit the nail on the head!!
pathetic and sad as it is.
It would be so nice to sit down and hear some of the positive stories to balance out all of the stories
we get bombarded with by T.V,media,Church,etc.
But, apparently it isn't possible due to the overinsugence of mental midgets out there who do things like compare an abortion to a minor gall bladder surgery.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

post removed by staff

What? You've got people coming up to your door to share the stories of their abortion? Ha! If you don't want to know something, then don't go in search of information about it. You've started a thread asking questions about abortion, then you cry when people start telling you about it.

Why are you replying to a thread that you don't even like?????

Where did you get the idea that people don't like the thread? The thread is fine. Very educational, actually.

post removed by staff.

Who are you talking to? I don't see where anyone accused you of being for or anti anything. How can anyone answer these questions if they're addressed only to "douche bags"?

I posted a SIMPLE QUESTION

And I answered it, never accusing you of a thing. And I posted a link to answer your question. Chill out.

By the way, I have had several surgeries (I'll not bore you with the details, but one involved terminating a pregnancy) but I'm 'happy' I had them. All of them.
edit on Tue Sep 6 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Your post is total opinion.

Ummm, yeah, it was my opinion.
Yeah, I wasn't aware that every thing that you post on ATS HAS TO BE DOCUMENTED PEER REVIEWED FACT and backed up by links to sources.
There is a place in the real world for OPINIONS!
But here on ATS???
Not so much.

So yeah, to clarify......."IT is MY opinion that.......MOST of the abortion stories out there are of a negative oprientation and I would like to know if there are any stories by people who were......HAPPY, yes HAPPY, with their decision. Not just HAppy at the time but years later are still.....HAPPY!
edit on 6-9-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I know you have all heard the stories by people who have had abortions and regretted it for the rest of their lives.

I have not heard these stories. Absolutely EVERY woman I know who has had an abortion is VERY happy that they made that decision.

And there are plenty of good stories about abortion... Here are some

So you have posted two ideas, neither one of which you bother to back up with some sort of source material... Your post is total opinion.

I suspect there are people who regret having an abortion. Welcome to life. We all make decisions we regret at one time or another. This is life. We have to live with the consequences of our decisions. That's why reproductive choices are so difficult to make and important to be able to make freely and legally.

Regretting an action, freely taken, is no reason to make that action illegal. It's really none of your business at all.

Are you kidding me? I am still a little in shock at reading your post. Every women you have known who has had an abortion is very happy about it? If that indeed is true, you know some pretty sick people who could use some serious counseling. Abortion isn't something to be "VERY happy" about even if it is the right choice for the women at the time and I highly doubt unless there something seriously wrong with them mentally they could be very happy after having a fetus vacuumed out of them forcibly.

There are plenty of good stories about abortion? Really? In cases of extremes involving rape, incest or other such things, perhaps...... Maybe but that is even stretching.

There is nothing good about abortion and while I support the ability of the person to choose because I do not believe the state is capable of making a better choice than the individual I am horrified at the words you have used and picture you have painted somehow trying to glamorize such a traumatic process.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join