It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird plane/planes flying low in the UK. Night flights???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Hello all, You know when something happens a few times, and it doesn't really sink in?
It finally sunk in, just what I've been hearing over the last two or three nights.

It's about 3.40am here, and about 15 mins ago my daughter was woken up by anotherplane.
It's the 4th tonight, but I've heard them a couple of nights running now.
I can't see them, because by the time I get outside, they are gone. Although the first one I heard, I was outside, between 10-11pm.. but I was right under a streetlamp at the time, which didn't help!
I just stood gaping at the sky wondering what the *bleep* was going on.

Being a HUGE plane fanatic, I know they are not the normal passenger jets that go over every night.
The first time I heard it, I immediately thought of all the times I have seen the planes in the youtube vid below, and that is the closest they come sound-wise. For a second I expected to look up and see someone wing-walking.
I know they aren't, I now now I was just recognising that breitling plane engine stress sound, this is because they are SPEEDING, seriously fast, and the sound makes my heart skip a beat each time, because I think the sodding thing is going to come crashing through the window.

This behaviour is odd, because as far as I'm aware, private planes around here (over the city) aren't usually given clearance to fly at night, and are restricted to military, commercial airliners etc as we have the very busy East Midlands Airport not that far away.
It's odd because of the speed it's travelling this late at night.
It's odd because a couple of my neighbours have mentioned loud planes at night too.

I'd just like to cover all bases by saying, they are definitely planes, not cars, or motorbikes. They are not helicopters either, because we're used to helicopters going over, or hovering around, living near the city. I know sometimes when helicopters turn suddenly, even far away, and the air carries just right, they make a very loud chopping sound, and it isn't that. They are not jets. Not even small private lear jets (we have those taking off from EMA)
Living near RAF bases, and EMA, I am used to planes, I have a very good ear for noticing the noise of a plane that is not the usual, and looking up at just the right time, to catch a glimpse of something old and beautiful on it's way to an airshow, etc.

I will try my hardest to capture a recording of one, and identify them, but tbh, the speed they are travelling, I'm not holding out much hope.
I have no idea what they are being used for, but whatever they are, they are in a hurry.

This is the sound I'm hearing (bear in mind this vid has two. I sure I'm only hearing one)
from 0.33seconds to 0.42seconds is pretty much exactly what I'm hearing.
(Except not, unless we have night wing-walkers.. :lol

edit on 5-9-2011 by Deplume because: fail spelling is fail

edit on 6-9-2011 by Deplume because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
My first guess was military because thats what i normally hear in the early hours of the morning sometimes but i'm guessing its either someone whos out of their mind and has taken the planes without going through the right procedure or just stunt planes practising?(at night though:puz
.Na i have no idea.

Hey....ghost planes?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Viking9019

If it's military, then seriously, with the speed they are travelling they are either in a state of emergency, or preparing for something, or there's some sort of Operation going on we obviously don't know about.
It just surprising because of our proximity to EMA..

If it's private then wtf? If it's someone messing around then they are probably going to get themselves killed really soon. If not messing around then... well... in a serious hurry about something.

That's pretty much why I posted, every time it happens the phrase 'someones on a mission' is in the back of my mind..

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Where I live, I'm accustomed to the "Snow Birds" passing overhead nice and low.
People who visit me think it's awesome... but MAN can those things rattle a window.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Deplume

What town do you live in?

Might help in identifying it.

Like you said, night flying has heavy restrictions placed on it,s o doubt it is night-time wing walkers

edit on 5/9/11 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
So are we talking prop planes? When I was in the Air Force here in the US, most of the prop planes I saw were used for transport. So maybe they are transporting lots of equipment. Just a thought, and I could be wrong, but you mentioned they weren't jets. If they were smaller planes, I wouldn't know, as I never really saw many smaller prop planes, mostly just like older C-130s and similar aircraft. This is assuming they are military aircraft. So you are sure they aren't helicopters? I'm sure you would know the difference, being a plane buff, but I thought I would ask.
edit on 9/5/11 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Definitely prop planes, and definitely not helicopters.
They sound very low flying, very close by.
I assumed it was a smaller, nippy thing, to make that kind of racket..

I would have been surprised it it/they were one of the larger military planes, If so they need to calm it down a bit, because at that speed, I'm surprised the airframe has remained intact!! However I just watched a vid of a hercules, just as a larger/smaller comparison, and the sound is not even close. It's definitely a smaller plane.

Everyone knows the sound I mean. Imagine an old school war film!

Next question, why the hell is anyone flying A plane, let alone MANY planes, that fast, over a city, in the dead of night???

edit on 6-9-2011 by Deplume because: fail spelling is fail

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
This is strange for the past few weeks I've been hearing really loud planes and helicopters/Chin hooks passing a lot but its now stopped haven't heard one since yesterday now and I live pretty far from any airports, they don't exactly sound like the ones you have been hearing but the ones Iv'e been hearing are like as if they past fast and you hear the sound after they pass and the other week I heard helicopters pass back and fore a lot and I find it be kind of strange

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Sparkzz

I know what you mean. I usually put it down to being airshow season, but we had three chinooks go over fast a week or two ago, I was out at the time, but when I got back a friend text me to ask if I'd seen them!
A couple went over solo, and I had a look in the air forums to see if anyone else had noticed, and they had, but like me, most put it down to airshows.

About a week ago while on a picnic, I heard something exciting and climbed up a hill for a better look, only to see a huge black plane go over. And I mean huge. It made such a droning noise, the kids on the park stopped and watched it going over. I couldn't identify that at all.
Massive + Black... that's as far as I got. lol.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Deplume

Odd..

The only props the RAF operate, outside of small trainers, is the C-130 and the R-1.

Then again, it could be a trainer for night flying, perhaps?

You didn't say where you lived, might help if we knew what bases where near you, etc.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Just thought, the UCAV's are largely props too, like the MQ-9 Reaper.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I live about 11 miles as the crow flies from East Midlands Airport.
I don't know if that's enough to go on.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Could it be RAF flight training from RAF Cranwell????
They often change flight training modules so could be a new one.
Low level night navigation exercise?

King Air B200 - operate out of Cranwell but from your sound description I doubt it.
Tucano - www.raf.mod.uk... Much more plausable. These operate out of Linton on ouse but could have moved a flight module to Cranwell.

Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Hmm, as you've ruled out mopeds - what is the possibility of night flights being undertaken from a local air field, ie a small air-strip?

Can't say I'm familiar with this sound late night, but aircraft are out there doing all manner of things at night, but where I am in the UK not usually low flyovers, not prop planes. The odd police helicopter, or air ambulance perhaps. On Sunday night I saw a plane with completely static lights, no regulation flashers... it was odd. And earlier this year I saw a small plane in the dead of night approach from the North, circle the local airbase a few times, and then fly back off north - and that was about 4am in the morning. It probably made a noise for someone somewhere but I wasn't under the flight path

You could of course consider ghost planes (but don't tell your daughter) - Lincolnshire and surrounding areas is quite the hotspot for that sort of thing

Edit: Just wanted to add, saw a bi-plane land at our local base yesterday. Very rarely see one land there (although they certainly allow stop overs here) - maybe there was more than 1 and they made a return flight back to your area late at night.
edit on 6-9-2011 by markymint because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Hi, I live below one of the approach paths to EMA and am quite familiar with certain planes coming in at certain times (the bright yellow DHL one always stands out around 8pm) I havent heard anything specific although 'something' has woken me up twice in the last week at around 3am. By the time I wake up and realise I've been woken up I can just hear usual traffic noise. However last night, I was woken up again at 3pm by what sounded like a Harley Davidson but going at full revs down the ring road at well over 100mph. It is possible that it was a motorbike but it sounded like a lethal speed and not right for a bike with that type of engine if you know what I mean (not a superbike engine)? As I was still half asleep, I can't say for certain what it was but it could have been one of these planes??

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Maybe it was something along these lines? rc planes with led lights, flown at night. This might not sound exactly the same, but obviously different engines may sound similar to what you heard.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Probably some practise fights. I was out back today when 8 jets flew over together in two formations of 4. Then I found out there was an air show on yesterday and it was probably the red arrows heading home to wherever they come from.

Found this on youtube today too. This was some of the planes practising in the area a day before the actual show. Right over a town. Probably St Andrews.

Who wants to pay for a show when this stuff is flying over your hoose? (Last 30 secs is super cool.)

edit on 11-9-2011 by wigit because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join