It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ikea 'used political prisoners in GDR as slave labour'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Ikea 'used political prisoners in GDR as slave labour'

www.telegraph.co.uk

Ikea developed strong links with the communist state in the 1970s, opening a number of manufacturing facilities

Swedish retail giant Ikea used political prisoners in East Germany as “slave labour” to make furniture, secret police files unearthed by a German broadcaster appear to show.

The factory in Waldheim stood next to a prison, and inmates were used as unpaid labour, it is claimed.Quoted in a Stasi file, Ingvar Kamprad, Ikea’s founder, said while he had no official knowledge of the use of
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 9/5/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Ikea?
Really?

Well.. that's just crazy
forced labor made products from Ikea?

It's surreal really

I'm guessing this is not what is happening today but it's a shame who the largest corporations are today

IBM, Xerox, they were all Nazi supporters
And now this

It just makes you think if all major corporations and what kind of ties they have in history

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 9/5/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
If it is true, then it explains how I bought my coffee table for $29.00

I was actually a little stumped on margins...

edit on 5-9-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
If this is indeed true, the timing of your posting is extra relevant since it is still Labour Day in a few places.
Any wonder why there appears to be a need for unions, the labour movement, and the protection for workers.
edit on 5-9-2011 by ItsEvolutionBaby because: Lines across my post? Whats that about?

edit on 5-9-2011 by ItsEvolutionBaby because: never mind...

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I bet there are many companies doing this and raking in big bucks on the sweat and blood of some imprisoned man.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Ikea Nazi's no it is not just a euphemism for devout procurers of low cost furniture! they just took a page out of damned Hitler's book, "conscript" a cheap labor and production force, sans the genocide id imagine and Voila low low prices

the fact that these jokers still enjoy trade here in the US is a testament to thrift over virtue

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Check the bricks on your streets, slave labor has been alive and well as long as Governments have wielded power.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Apparently they had plans for an escape glider like in Colditz ,but no one could manage to put it together
edit on 5-9-2011 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LanternOfDiogenes
they just took a page out of damned Hitler's book, "conscript" a cheap labor and production force, sans the genocide id imagine and Voila low low prices

That's called Fordism

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by LanternOfDiogenes
they just took a page out of damned Hitler's book, "conscript" a cheap labor and production force, sans the genocide id imagine and Voila low low prices

That's called Fordism

Ummm NEGATIVE!!

en.wikipedia.org...

Fordism, named after Henry Ford, refers to various social theories about production and related socio-economic phenomena.[1] It has varying but related meanings in different fields, as well as for Marxist and non-Marxist scholars. The essential meaning is that the worker must be paid higher wages in order to afford the products that the industrialist himself produces, causing an economy that runs full-circle.

Please pay special attention to the Higher WAGES portion of the text....pretty much the polar opposite of slave labor...ohh the pain I can't stop laughing

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
no wonder they are throwing so many people in jail. FREE LABOR.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
Apparently they had plans for an escape glider like in Colditz ,but no one could manage to put it together
edit on 5-9-2011 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

It's because they didn't have that little wrench doo-hickey to put it all together.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
www.stopikea.com...

jobs.aol.com...

www.washingtonmonthly.com...

WE'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO OFFER THE LOW-WAGE WORKFORCE FOR FOREIGN COMPANIES.... Ikea's labor dispute in Southern Virginia should be a bigger story.

"It's ironic that Ikea looks on the U.S. and Danville the way that most people in the U.S. look at Mexico," Street said.

On the heels of your post about Political prisoners used for labor this is just hilarious...

IKEA is an evil corporation in all its many colors lol searching for this subject is telling and a little frightening.
edit on 12/08/11 by LanternOfDiogenes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

The distrubing little secret of brand names who were known to collaberate with the Nazi's:

1. Coco-Chanel:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

These are among the following labels and brands to collaberate with Nazi germany:

Chanel, Hugo Boss, Coty, Louis Vitton, Lanvan, Mercedes Benz, Porshe, Volkswagen, Ford Motors, General Motors, Bayer, Kodak, Bosch, Seimans, IBM, Coca-Cola, Chase Manhatten, Randem House Publishing, Standard Oil, founder of Ikea.

2. These companies are under the watchful eye of exploitation of slave workers today:

Zara:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Hersheys:

www.jwj.org...

Gap, Adidas, Puma.....among many other sporting labels using Asia for slave labour:

www.phnompenhpost.com...

www.phnompenhpost.com...

Apple uses child labour:

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Microsoft:

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Gap, Speedo, Mattel, Walmart products in China and India:

www.democraticunderground.com...

I could go on and on but I think you all get the jest of it!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Seems nothing is sacred.

But that's Capitalism: buy low, sell high. And slaves keep costs down. ...anyone know where Ikea manufactures these days?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Only just recently there has been a huge debate in NZ in regards to their Adidas All Blacks jerseys retailing for NZ$220.00 a piece. Their factory pays $60.00 a month for their workers to work 48+ hours a week. Now from what I understand, in these factories, there is a minimum limit perhour how many they have to pump out and if it's not meet the worker is sacked. The landed cost of the jerseys is NZ8.00.

At Rubgyworldshop.com in the USA, the All Blacks jerseys are retaling for about USA$75.00. Adidas had the company shut down all deliveries to NZ only to have to re-open it 2 weeks later......except no deliveries will arrive in NZ before the start of the RWC.

I purchase all our sportsgear from the USA through this company online, soccer boots I brought for USA $120.00 are over $300.00 here in Australia.
edit on 6-9-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ItsEvolutionBaby

Any wonder why there appears to be a need for unions

All unions are is yet another set of people who think they should be able to tell me what to do

new topics

top topics

join