It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for Atheists

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Threadfall
Although, in recent years they've (in America at least) become more and more (in structure and fervor) like the very religions they rail against. Atheists in America should keep this in mind lest they be transformed into very monster they seek to slay.

Although - I doubt the majority of Atheists (all shades of gray) will join any organized Atheist group - - there is the need for the "American Atheist" organization.

Their main purpose is to insure separation of church and state.

With the religious right continuing to try to take over the government - - - they are needed more today then ever.

The NEED exists - - - more then idealism.

I can only support you concerning this need. Even here in my very secular european contry, we still have christian minority groups, which claim for extra-parliamentary priviliges.

They can be noisy at times, and their 'tactical maneuvers' are not always very housebroken.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by bogomil

I can only support you concerning this need. Even here in my very secular european contry, we still have christian minority groups, which claim for extra-parliamentary priviliges.

They can be noisy at times, and their 'tactical maneuvers' are not always very housebroken.

Being that I am 65 - - I've been able to follow the public clash of Atheist and Christians (mostly) through the years.

I think I was 12 when the Pledge was changed and In God We Trust was put on money. There was a lot of arguing about it. I did not fully understand it at the time - - but believe me - - not everyone was in favor. Lawsuits were filed almost immediately.

If the American Atheist Organization had been formed then - - I doubt it would have been allowed.

The American Atheists are right and needed in what they do.

To say Atheists should not organize is not realistic. They are organized for one purpose. To insure separation of church and state.

They are not congregating to share a common faith based belief. They are not a belief - - unless you want to claim proof of what is tangible is a belief.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

They never leave the god belief.

You never stopped listening to music.

edit on 6-9-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

So, switching from believing in Allah, to believing in Yahweh, or Vishnu would not be going through a phase?

It does not apply to the specific subject of discussion.

Atheist is like turning off the radio and never listening to music again.

Atheist is like knowing there's no little band in that box you call radio

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

...atheist believe in nothing other than what science tells them.

that is NOT correct. Atheists don't believe in a god (there are some nuances to be made but since others provided links to good information I take the liberty of not going into them). This is not the same as "believe in nothing other than what science tells them".

I'm an atheist
I'm a scientist (sociologist, let's debate whether that's a science or a philosophy
)
I'm convinced there's a lot out there in the real world we scientists have no clue of, yet.
A true scientist, as a result, will refrain from naming the unknown or attributing things to it, as it is unknown, to be known in a later stage.
For me atheism is refusing to accept the names and attributes as there's nothing, nothing at all that justifies such action. Except for those willing to give up their chances to deal with reality and get "certainty" instead

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I don't know if I qualify as an athiest. According to western religions because I don't believe in their version of a singular and all powerfull god figure, I get call an athiest.
Let's face it, throughout the ages religion has been used by tyrants gain power, money and control, this is common throughout history. I also don't accept the we are right you are wrong belief that many religions have. So at the end of the day it's not the fact that I don't believe in a god. Generally I don't want to be associated with a misguided religion that is completely inflexible and norrow mined in it's belief system and I have come to understand things about god that other people seem to strugle to understand.
When it comes to god I take truth where I find it. I have found truth in christianity, eastern religions, Philophoshy, Quantum physics, Independant comtempary spiritual writers, satanism and many many other places. Supprisingly
enough none of these 'truthes' conflict with each other. It all combines in my head to create my view of god and life.

I hope that made some sence.

<< 3  4  5   >>

join