It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for Atheists

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31
A question for the Atheists. so you don't believe in a god at all or is it more the concept of intelligent creation? because I believe in a god, but the god I believe in is a group conciousness consisting of every mind to have ever been and I don't believe in intelligent creation from the very begining of time but rather as something that has evolved over time to influence the minds that exist in it. I call the structure of the universe the body of god and the collective conciousness of all things the mind of god, god was born into a system that developed in relation to god and as god developed it began to manipulate and influence the system.

Sacred geometry has alot to do with me developing this theory as it would suggest a system for the structure of everything including god. I see god as the catalyst of the universe but not the active creator, at least not to begin with.

Another further question is: don't you feel that there is more to our universe then just it's physical structure?

News flash for ya . You don't believe in God.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I'm just impressed that you got through 700 pages on yellowstone! maybe your god

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

It's my understanding that the Atheists in the US are pushing back, and feel the need to unite in order to have an equal voice amongst the radical religious types who are becoming ever louder in government.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I watched this show recently,and it reminded me of why I believe,as I do.

Some of man's greatest achievements have been motivated by a driving need for love and acceptance. What happens when that need for recognition, becomes a desire to be revered, and then worshipped...like a god?

en.wikipedia.org...(novelette)
edit on 5-9-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

The reason is,what if it's just some crazed idiot advanced being that the masses are worshiping?
Why would a "god" need to be worshiped?
Wouldn't "god" just admire from afar what it has created?
Why would it need the admiration of it's creations?
Does it have an ego?????

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Why do you have the authority to dictate to me what I can call god?
I could point at a tree or a dog turd and call it god if I wanted to.

I don't deny you your right to believe what you choose to so have the courtesy to do the same for me.

newsflash for ya...........jeeze what a smart ass.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Raivan31

I think he's under the assumption that his god is the only god. ... and you don't believe in it.

Could be wrong though, I'm not religious myself. I don't think like they do.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by sepermeru

I noticed only today that there is a logo for Atheism in the States, and they have billboards. I realise they are trying to compete with similar devices from fundamental Christians, but really why would atheists actually bother? Having a logo and any form of organisation makes it a cult. But I accept that not atheists in the US belong to the cult. You will not see any of that going on in Europe to my knowledge.

If you read on the site American Atheist - - it explains your questions and concerns.

The logo they use - was designed for them - and is copyrighted.

Since 1963, American Atheists has been the premier organization laboring for the civil liberties of atheists and the total, absolute separation of government and religion. It was born out of a court case begun in 1959 by the Murray family which challenged prayer recitation in the public schools. That case, Murray v. Curlett, was a landmark in American jurisprudence on behalf of our First Amendment rights. It began:

"Your petitioners are atheists, and they define their lifestyle as follows. An atheist loves himself and his fellow man instead of a god. An atheist accepts that heaven is something for which we should work now – here on earth – for all men together to enjoy. An atheist accepts that he can get no help through prayer, but that he must find in himself the inner conviction and strength to meet life, to grapple with it, to subdue it and to enjoy it. An atheist accepts that only in a knowledge of himself and a knowledge of his fellow man can he find the understanding that will help lead to a life of fulfillment."

www.atheists.org...

American Atheists Aims and Principles

American Atheists, Inc. is a nonprofit, nonpolitical, educational organization dedicated to the complete and absolute separation of state and church, accepting the explanation of Thomas Jefferson that the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States was meant to create a "wall of separation" between state and church.

www.atheists.org...

edit on 5-9-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
...Because what you believe isn't backed up by scholars...

News flash :
You already know what I'm about to say... lol.

Sorry pal, the "scholars" usually tend to be on the other side of the fence from your beliefs.

The few "scholars" out there who are men of faith, are still wasting their time hunting for what the rest of your religion has been hunting for since the religion was made up.

Rather hard to find evidence to support something that doesn't exist.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Raivan31

don't you feel that there is more to our universe then just it's physical structure?

Well of course, there's also energy, and a whole bunch of weird stuff going on on the quantum level. There is always the possibility that we (atheists) are wrong and there is some kind of deity out there which is why most atheists are also agnostic (an agnostic atheist is one who doesn't believe in god but doesn't claim to know for sure there isn't one).

It's very possible that at some point in the future we're going to discover some very bizarre, fascinating and paradigm shifting stuff but that's the point, no use calling it real until we've got some evidence for it. Whatever's out there I doubt it has any resemblance to our petty ideas of 'God' such as Zeus, Yahweh, etc.

I once believed that the entire Universe might well be God, in a sense but then I realized how little such a belief had in support of it and how pointless it was. Positions like pantheism and deism can be difficult to argue against but they also have little if any logical or evidentiary support. I generally don't bother arguing against deism in particular because functionally a deist is almost identical to an atheist (deists don't believe God is active in the world and many see studying nature through science as the only way we can an understanding of their "watch-maker" style God).

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

That's it?
That was rather weak.
I was hoping for an attempt at a rational retort.

Oh well.

Speaking of education... please enlighten me to a single breakthrough discovery your "scholars" have made.

While you're scrounging Google in a desperate search, might I direct your attention to... oh... every single discovery in the past few centuries and how none of them support your religions beliefs?

And the minor side note that research into carbon decay, geology, archeology, genetics, and many other fields have literally taken entire chapters from your bible and rendered them no more a part of reality than the antics of Harry Potter?

So much for the infallible word of god eh?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Scrounging google? Um for what? " My Scholars " Don't have any of my own. Why would I go looking for Bible scholars when I told you to educate yourself ? Please, try make sense guy ? This isn't a pssing contest.

edit on 5-9-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I called you a smart ass because of your choice of words,
NEWSFLASH FOR YA
What was that intended to sound like? because it seemed pretty condescending to me, yes that was my initial feeling.
Couldn't you have worded your statement differently?
for example: "I think that you don't .......because......"
But instead you had to be all smarmy about it. why would you do that? this is a forum for people to have civil discussions not to try and bait each other into unproductive arguments.
You seem to have made your mind up about religions so why r u even here?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by sepermeru

I noticed only today that there is a logo for Atheism in the States, and they have billboards. I realise they are trying to compete with similar devices from fundamental Christians, but really why would atheists actually bother? Having a logo and any form of organisation makes it a cult. But I accept that not atheists in the US belong to the cult. You will not see any of that going on in Europe to my knowledge.

eh, well I'm an atheist and I don't believe in any doctrine, go to any meetings or anything cult like or religious. You're just taking one small group of atheists and making a generalization (typical ATS).

Also, I'm in favor of religion as I believe it keeps a certain part of the population from being all out savages.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

It is when you start a reply with "New flash" in an attempt to condescend another poster.

I became a problem because you were clearly looking for one. Only, you were clearly hoping only the spiritualist you condescended would reply.

Show some dignity for your beliefs and back them up, you clearly think they're more valid than the poster you attacked... so back your beliefs up man! "Go educate yourself" is not a valid argument, it's an avoidance of a debate.

Don't switch to the other foot now and backpedal.
You clearly think your beliefs are more valid than his, so PROVE it.
edit on 5-9-2011 by johnsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

I know what you're saying, but in this case that's jumping to conclusions. I read only the op and answered.
It wouldn't be any different just to say. You don't believe in God. I suppose you're going to try and tell me there's no such thing as Bible scholars next by the way?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

You're really not going to give me a debate are you?

... you're no fun.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Well the things I 'Believe' are things like applied science. Everything else is speculation and theory. I don't expect proof of god but based on my life experience I think it is probable that there is definatly something and the idea that sits most comftably with me is the idea stated in this post.

Now please join us in a friendly discussion with language based on logic rather then emotion or a pre concieved idea that you are always right, or at the very least explain yourself when you do make a statement in opposition to someone else.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join