It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for Atheists

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
A question for the Atheists. so you don't believe in a god at all or is it more the concept of intelligent creation? because I believe in a god, but the god I believe in is a group conciousness consisting of every mind to have ever been and I don't believe in intelligent creation from the very begining of time but rather as something that has evolved over time to influence the minds that exist in it. I call the structure of the universe the body of god and the collective conciousness of all things the mind of god, god was born into a system that developed in relation to god and as god developed it began to manipulate and influence the system.

Sacred geometry has alot to do with me developing this theory as it would suggest a system for the structure of everything including god. I see god as the catalyst of the universe but not the active creator, at least not to begin with.

Another further question is: don't you feel that there is more to our universe then just it's physical structure?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I personally see it as lack of belief of a God in the religious sense.

I will not refer to an energy intelligence/consciousness as god.

There are some that just can not accept lack of belief in God. Therefore - - any hint that you believe or accept an intelligence of any kind - - - they insist you believe in god.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31
A question for the Atheists. so you don't believe in a god at all

Much the same as you.
YOU dont believe in thousands of different gods that humans have invented.
Whats the problem with just one more?

Ask yourself why you dont believe in Quetzalcoatl at all.
Thats your answer.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
The universe is the only "god" that we will ever be-able to comprehend.. The universe creates all life.. therefore the universe is the only "god".. What created the universe will always be open to debate..

But until there is a answer for how the universe came into existence.. Then you will have to make due with accepting the universe is the only "god" you and i will ever be-able to comprehend..

edit on 5-9-2011 by TechVampyre because: gramma

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Sure there is a God out there somewhere, but Humans sure as hell screwed up his descriptions. And I don't buy the whole, make-people-schizophrenic-alcoholics-to-see-and-hear-my-message-to-pass-on-to-fellow-man, routine.

edit on 5-9-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Raivan31

I believe in a god, but the god I believe in is a group conciousness consisting of every mind to have ever been

You do realise that is the basis of the Rosicrucians beliefs?

I suggest you go and look them up.

Atheists do not believe in God. End of story. I actually never realised what a cult Atheism is in the US. It is not Atheism at all, it is a religion.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I don't chose to be an Atheist... I'm an Atheist by default because I believe claims should only be made when there's enough evidence to demand a claim.

I cannot make a claim for an existence of something that has no evidence to support it... I therefore, by default, do not believe in a gods existence.

Religion has had thousands of years to provide evidence for their primary claim, their gods existence. (And that their god is the only one).

If you demand such evidence, they quote the book that made the claim. You can't quote the claim as its own evidence. Failing that, they claim you have to have "faith" that it's true.

Let me make this abundantly clear.
Truth cannot require faith, it requires the exact opposite.
When someone demands you have "faith" in their claim, they are demanding you ignore all evidence that proves they're wrong.

I simply claim that they haven't supported their claim, the evidence for my claim is that they have not provided evidence to support their claim, hence, their claim is unsupported.

I'm willing to turn a blind eye to all the sub-claims... noah's ark, the 6 day creation of earth, the idea that man was created exactly as it is now. I look away from these topics because most religious followers have already abandoned these claims themselves, and now state they're lose stories, and fables of morality.

It's their last and only remaining claim that is under the scope now.
The claim that their god exists.
Until evidence can be provided to support their claim, I cannot believe in their claim.

It's been thousands of years, they've been desperately scratching at everything to find that evidence... I'm not holding my breath.

As far as it goes for the hopes of converting me : Time's Up.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I do not believe in deitys.

I would like to think there is some greater organization in the universe beyond the randomness and chaos that I observe.

I don't believe that a greater entity, eloquent patterns, etc...is a deity, it is simply that...in regards to what I dismiss is religious deitys, such as a man in the sky whom is eternally worried about if I am going to have naughty thoughts or will give me candy should I pray to him or some such.

I also enjoy speculating.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

I believe in a god, but the god I believe in is a group conciousness consisting of every mind to have ever been

You do realise that is the basis of the Rosicrucians beliefs?

I suggest you go and look them up.

Atheists do not believe in God. End of story. I actually never realised what a cult Atheism is in the US. It is not Atheism at all, it is a religion.

Only if you want it to be.

I see it as a strong voice of opposition whenever theism tries to take over a public domain...

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Much the same as you.

Thats your answer.

I believe in every god on some level, there is a truth behind every product of the imagination.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
I don't chose to be an Atheist... I'm an Atheist by default because I believe claims should only be made when there's enough evidence to demand a claim.

I cannot make a claim for an existence of something that has no evidence to support it... I therefore, by default, do not believe in a gods existence.

Religion has had thousands of years to provide evidence for their primary claim, their gods existence. (And that their god is the only one).

If you demand such evidence, they quote the book that made the claim. You can't quote the claim as its own evidence. Failing that, they claim you have to have "faith" that it's true.

Let me make this abundantly clear.
Truth cannot require faith, it requires the exact opposite.
When someone demands you have "faith" in their claim, they are demanding you ignore all evidence that proves they're wrong.

I simply claim that they haven't supported their claim, the evidence for my claim is that they have not provided evidence to support their claim, hence, their claim is unsupported.

I'm willing to turn a blind eye to all the sub-claims... noah's ark, the 6 day creation of earth, the idea that man was created exactly as it is now. I look away from these topics because most religious followers have already abandoned these claims themselves, and now state they're lose stories, and fables of morality.

It's their last and only remaining claim that is under the scope now.
The claim that their god exists.
Until evidence can be provided to support their claim, I cannot believe in their claim.

It's been thousands of years, they've been desperately scratching at everything to find that evidence... I'm not holding my breath.

As far as it goes for the hopes of converting me : Time's Up.

What this guy said.
However i am possible to convert.
I will believe in god when he personally appears in my bedroom, creates something out of thin air, and grants me 3 wishes to prove his powers. And then fulfills them.
edit on 5-9-2011 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Much the same as you.

Thats your answer.

quetzalcoatl was one civilizations attempt to locate God. they were lost, just like the rest of humanity, after the exile from the Garden of Eden.

the Garden of Eden was earth. it was the complete and perfect harmony between man and God. the exile was the loss of direct knowledge and His presence.

we are in disharmony with God. if we were in harmony with God, there would be no such thing as sins and laws.

life would be perfection. we would be incapable of sinning because we would have no knowledge of what a sin is.

that is why until God chose the jewish people to reveal himself, all over the globe people worshipped many things in the hope one of them was God.

the death of Jesus completes God's act of forgiveness. the ability to connect to God has been restored.

atheists still live in exile. they fear to find God. but the choice to experience His existence is clear and is always there.

this is the Faith.

edit on 5-9-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

I don't believe in any of the gods I've heard of because, in a nutshell, I know that the world would be different if any of them were real.

I don't believe an individual's personal definition of the word 'god' can be stretched to contain any concept and retain room for me to have an opinion about it.

I do believe that while what we have achieved in science is extraordinary, it's still ridiculously crude and primitive most of the time. Just as there is, based on what we know and can do right now, a cosmic speed limit that will prohibit any meaningful contact with the other intelligent species in the universe from our end, our perceptual filters are far too limited to ever truly comprehend the reality we stomp around on at will.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I believe in a "god",not religion telling me what I should believe in and what I should do.
But that is being an agnostic.
But,it's not the "god" alot of people believe in.
And it's not really a "god", but entity.
We are here cause we are.
Get over it.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I am an atheist as far as the other religions in my community are concerned. I think they have all been tampered/mistranslated over the centuries and have many things God would never want.

God is in all of us, and in all of the other civilizations in the universe. He just wants you to live, and not destroy any part of God.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname

atheists still live in exile. they fear to find God. but the choice to experience His existence is clear and is always there.

I hardly fear finding god. In fact, I'd weep with tears of joy if there was.
But the complete lack of evidence to support a gods existence cannot be ignored.

... As I said, I didn't chose to be Atheist. But I am.
I recognize when I'm being lied to.
And a demand that I have faith that I'm not being lied to, is just further reason to recognize it as a lie again.

Truth requires no faith, it requires the exact opposite to faith... it demands you question it.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

would you consider the possibility that god is a technical term for a system or structure that may or may not possess a mind that a human would recognize?

I personally think that virtually all religions are the equivalent result to how one explains sex and reproduction to a child, ie: Not to be taken %100 literally but sufficient to keep the basic concepts in play till more experience can be gained.
Don't mock the religious any more then you would mock the child because it wont help anyone to move forward.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

No, it's that the atheists who are that way are necessarily the loudest and most noticeable. I'm quite friendly toward religion as long as it's not bothering anybody. I like it when people believe what seems like weird nonsense to me. It's good for humans, a kind of art, only with more killing, which is the part bad for humans, but as an atheist, I see it's like anything else -- neutral unto itself, and largely dependent on context. You know, like how a tool can be a weapon, or build a house.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Exile from what? Please explain how an atheist can fear to find something that does not exist as far as the atheist is concerned? That simply is not logical.

Whilst I accept that believers believe, why is it that they cannot accept that others do not? I would not deny you your religion so why to you try and deny me my lack of it? That hardly seems reasonable.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

I noticed only today that there is a logo for Atheism in the States, and they have billboards. I realise they are trying to compete with similar devices from fundamental Christians, but really why would atheists actually bother? Having a logo and any form of organisation makes it a cult. But I accept that not atheists in the US belong to the cult. You will not see any of that going on in Europe to my knowledge.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join