It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wilted Lettuce and Rotting Vegetables at most Restaurants!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Why is it when I order a salad, nine times out of ten, it contains old wilted lettuce or vegetables well past their prime????

Don't believe me? Order a salad without dressing and take a much closer look.

Do it!

You'll be very surprised by what you find nearly every time.

edit on 5-9-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

do they serve this food or throw it away?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I can't afford dining out anymore, but when I do, I choose McDonalds. There is something in that food that makes me
. Whatever it is, I'm fine with it. And you don't have to worry about lettuce.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Doublemint

You think they should serve it?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Ok.

But at least you know for the most part what you are getting from the Big Clown.

But if your fries were soggy and green, would you feel differently? I bet you would-- even from there.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

no but food goes bad all the time.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Actually, cold fries are one of my biggest pet peeves. You pay almost ten bucks for a meal made from mostly oil, the least they could do is make it crispy.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Generally, poor food is a sign of someone not giving a crap in the kitchen. I like romaine for my salads anyway.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Wilted Lettuce and Rotting Vegetables at most Restaurants............where you live.

Cant say ive experienced the same where i am. Maybe chose where you dine a little more carefully. There are still plenty of good places to eat....that dont serve sub standard food.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Last time I ordered a salad from a restaurant it wasn't in a plastic bag...

where's that pic from?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
That's why I like subway, all the ingredients are right in front of your face for you to examine before you pay for it.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Haven't had this experience but then
my boyfriend and I have one favorite
restaurant we go to about twice a
month - the salad is fresh, even
during season the tomatos are
homegrown. It is delicious as all
of their food is. Expensive no - not
much more than any family chain
restaurant. I think it best to choose
one or two restaurants where you
know the food is good and stick with
those. Fast food, you can expect
anything - won't touch it.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
.........where you live.

Actually, I travel a fair bit and eat out VERY frequently. (I could go into why so much, but I'll leave that explanation for another day.)

Geography or restaurant class have very little to do with my observations.

This is a really big pet peeve of mine. So maybe I'm just pickier than most and notice such things more than others.

reply to post by thenewguy1987

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

That's a head of romaine in a plastic bag, not a salad.

Restaurants who serve produce under its prime is a sign of carelessness and laziness in the kitchen. As a chef, I know I work too damn hard to serve a customer a wilted, rotting salad. Sometimes you DO have to throw something away, yes it sucks watching the money go into the garbage, but you can't serve customers crap. The best way I've gotten around this at the restaurant I work at is by finding a produce supplier that delivers to me on a daily basis, and during the summer months we grow about 75% of our produce in our garden 20 feet outside the back door.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Really though is that pic from some lettuce you bought or a "salad" that was served to you in a restaurant?

If it is just some random pic of bad lettuce someone bought it is a bad pic to use in this conversation. Now if you posted a crappy salad you were served you'd have a point here, but as of now it seems like you don't.

and to the poster after you, I too work in a kitchen and have forced people higher up than me to trash food that I wouldn't pay for. It is laziness that causes bad food to be sent out.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sleepypoet

Nice to hear there are some back there who care.

I'm finding (maybe a sign of the current economic times) you are the exception. I'm a real quality food whore, so I feel like what I am saying is NOT BS.

Originally posted by thenewguy1987
Really though is that pic from some lettuce you bought or a "salad" that was served to you in a restaurant?

If it is just some random pic of bad lettuce someone bought it is a bad pic to use in this conversation. Now if you posted a crappy salad you were served you'd have a point here, but as of now it seems like you don't.

Good gawd.

No, that bag of lettuce was not served to me. (I swear what people fixate on...
)

So let me get this straight. Pictures or it never happened????

People are really nutty tonight. I can't believe I have to PROVE I am consistently served bad salads and vegetables.

Ok, Sherlock. How about this pic from a sports bar I recently went to?

This pile of white, wilted celery (crap) was actually served to me! (I actually had to pay extra!!!
) I was so shocked that it made it to my table, I just had to take a picture.

Does anyone see any good green celery in there?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I'm convinced the definition of 'good' vegetables has simply changed.

Perhaps it's because so many of them are either fried or smothered in something or other, most Americans have simply forgotten what vegetables are actually supposed to taste and look like.

That's one theory, anyway....

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

A-freaking-men. OMG. I can't handle it. Nasty dried out carrots. Shriveled tomatoes. Our food quality here in the good ol USA sucks.

Although... so I don't sound pretentious... I would take wilted salad over starving to death. I just happen to like quality food. Actually LOVE quality food. And if I'm payin for it, that's what I expect!
edit on 5-9-2011 by PassedKarma because: edit

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
"quality food whore" should be what everyone is. No one should accept poor quality food. It's an insult to oneself and the customer to serve it and an insult to your body to consume it. Unless you're in a third world country and starving to death, I find no excuse to eat crap.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by PassedKarma

I can't decide if you are agreeing or being sarcastic? This thread isn't about starvation as a worse alternative.

Since this is the RANT forum (a place this thread teaches me I should likely stay away from in the future) I'm airing a grievance I have for being served and paying for sub-quality food. Pretty simple rant.

Guess I'm alone.

(Although, I really like the idea of starting a photo collection of what I find in restaurants. That might make for an interesting thread.
)

reply to post by sleepypoet

Originally posted by sleepypoet
"quality food whore" should be what everyone is. No one should accept poor quality food. It's an insult to oneself and the customer to serve it and an insult to your body to consume it. Unless you're in a third world country and starving to death, I find no excuse to eat crap.

I agree. Thank you.

It sounds like I would most certainly eat from your kitchen.

new topics

top topics

join