It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controlled media in Jacksonville

page: 1

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I heard about this on a radio show and felt that it should be shared
here on ATS, and would like to know if this is happening in other
cities than just mine.

Here is the link
www.wokv.com...

Here is a snippet from the article

Jacksonville, FL —
As of Thursday the flow of your information will be filtered, it’ll be delayed and what we report to you will be handpicked.

For the first time ever in Jacksonville police radio traffic will be completely closed off to the public. Six years ago JSO began operating under encrypted radio frequencies, a result of 9/11.

When that change occurred a way to keep the public in the know was to provide those radios to the media. Last month a policy decision was made to take those back. At the time the only reason citied was a budgetary concern.

(On Wednesday we will provide a detailed look at the reasons most recently offered up by Sheriff John Rutherford.)

We asked a former public information officer at JSO, Ken Jefferson if this decision would limit access to the public’s information, he says it would.

“It will certainly enable them to control the flow of information because you don’t have the scanners to listen to them as it comes out,” says Jefferson. Without the ability to hear it in real time, “as its happening you’re going to have to rely on them.”

When we asked several council members for their take most were unaware of what this one policy decision by Sheriff Rutherford would actually mean. John Crescimbeni told us, “I don’t think the public realizes what’s happening.”

Most of the elected officials we talked to said there’s nothing they can do because the JSO is its own constitutional office. So that one small policy decision that will impact you is being passed with no public input, no public comments, no hearings and required only one person’s approval.

Crescimbeni did admit this decision is suspect, “When I see people trying to heighten that sense of secrecy, I have concerns about that.”

From here on out after Thursday, the sheriff’s office will determine when and how we find out about what is going on right here in Jacksonville, which in turn will affect how you find out about what’s going on in your neighborhood, not just through WOKV but through print, on TV and online.

(On Tuesday we’ll go into more detail as to why it’s even important being able to get the information in real time.)

So far the announcement that the radios will be taken back, that’s gotten mixed reviews, some people are fine with JSO having that control, “I think controlling the message is imperative in situations that involve, a serial killer is a beautiful example, when you release too much information, they know what the police are looking for so I think there needs to be some sort of control.” Kristina Meade told us this seems to be a double edged sword but she’ll side with the sheriff’s decision.

In a situation like that one or in any high stakes investigation JSO switches over to its tactical channels, ones we’ve never had access to.

If there is control of your information it’ll happen across the board.

The other side of it from you the public has been that this is a government agency cutting a line of communication.

“I’m not saying JSO is a bad organization or anything but it’s always good to be able to see things from many different directions and form your own opinion then it is to get things from a single source,” says Tom Harding, “because then you really don’t know the whole story.”

Harding says, in his opinion this is the first step towards a controlled media, “Because as far as I understand it, you all aren’t going to get any information unless its handed to you by the police . . . what would distinguish us from the Chinese at that point?”

Whether it’s an issue of control or anything else the sheriff has made it clear this is a policy decision that will not be reviewed.

Here is the link to where I found it at
earthchanges.ning.com...

Here is an interesting snippet

I just wanted to put the word out there about something that I feel is proof positive that things are getting bad fast now. I feel this is the worse loss of freedom we have encountered to date and proof that something big is happening. The Jacksonville Florida Sheriffs Department is one of the largest departments in the Southeastern United States, with over 3,600 employees. This week they contacted all of the News Channels in Jacksonville and told them they must turn in all of their Police Scanners. They were told the Department of Homeland Defense has ordered this. Even though this article at the bottom of the page does not mention Homeland Defense, my local news talk radio station, AM 690, did report that the order came down from them. Jacksonville Florida Sheriffs Department are also in the process of changing all of their call codes as well. There are five local TV channels , they have all been ordered to turn in their scanners as well as the radio channels and also the newspapers. Now no one will now know what they are doing or saying.

So, if this is coming from Homeland Security,i wonder where else this is happening at,if it is true,
and why now? Is there a threat that we are not being warned about?

Mods please move if I did not post this in the proper forum.Thanks

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
And it'll continue to spread.

'Listen to us and only us. We wouldn't lie to you.'

'Believe what we say because we are saying it.'

'You don't need to actually know anything first hand because we will give you all the information we deem necessary....when we decide it's time for you to know.'

'Nothing to see...Move along' is becoming the norm.

At this point you will never hear the REAL news out of Jacksonville again. The rest of the Country is lining up to follow IMO.

This is just the test phase to soften the blow. As soon as people quiet down and go back to their regularly scheduled programming, it'll spread with nary a whisper to the entire Nation.

And to answer your question, yes I do believe something is on the horizon that is approaching fast. This helps them control the flock.

edit on 5-9-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Six years ago JSO began operating under encrypted radio frequencies, a result of 9/11.
reply to post by PatriotsPride

well of course... control the information..

they can not have the public listening in on police & fire transmissions which contradict the official 911 story..

Starting at around 5:00 you will hear the following... officer: [inaudible] I got a message on that uh plane, its a big truck with a mural painted of a of a airplane diving into New York City and exploding [inaudible] know whats in the truck, the truck is in between 6th and 7th on King Street officer: [inaudible] 10-5 10-5 officer: with a mural painted uh airplane diving into New York blowing up. Two men got outta the truck ran away from it, we got those two [inaudible] under. officer: kay great. officer: we got both suspects under kay, we have the suspects who drivedrove in the van and that exploded we have both of them under kay lets get some help over here officer: now Im sending you [inaudible] I just want to make sure you and your guys all right over there kay, thats all. officer: whats the location [inaudible] officer: put em up, put em up officer: you know we have both the [inaudible] driven that exploded. Is that correct? officer: what location? officer: location [inaudible] officer: [inaudible] location [inaudible] officer: King Street between 6th and 7th officer: King Street and 6th and 7th avenue, King Street and 6th and 7th avenue officer: [inaudible] on the scene King 6 and 7, which unit are you kay?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

This makes me sick in the pit of my stomach. It is one thing to have a unilateral decision made by a single local agency. To find out it came down from the Homeland Security office, is mortifying.

I admit, we have no idea what brought about this matter, but I can assure you , it will have adverse repercussions in the future. Anyone who pays attention to what has been going on in our country, would have reason to be suspicious about the decision to completely block out access to information on police matters.

In my opinion, this directly opens the possibility for complete manipulation of the information given to us, the public. In other words, there would be absolutely no way to follow or verify any information coming out of an agency following this agenda. BT

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Right now they are doing all they can to block and control all information. It is hard to take over a community and do what ever if there is a way to get communication out. After all atrocities can be documented help may come who knows. Anytime something like this is done it should be met with outcries and get it overturned. Other wise you could wake up living in somewhere e like China.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by BearTruth

This makes me sick to,considering it is where I live!
We are loosing so much of our basic freedoms
everyday,I never thought when I was younger that
this is what our country would turn into.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Amazing,

4 hours and only 4 posters with any opinion on probably one of the most important issues facing Americans. Make that 3 posters and one Canadian.

What happened to the outrage? The contempt? Cries of injustice? This is another step towards Tyranny and people are allowing TPTB to take the step.

When this spreads to the entire Nation, and it will, what then? Nothing because it'll be too late.

ATS is about showing and warning people of what is coming down the pike that the MSM won't cover anymore and yet no one is paying attention.

Sad really.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
What's strange about it is that they are changing the call codes so no one will no what they are talking about it. I mean anyone that has a home scanner could have still gotten in and spread the news via internet, and that would have done the trick with the news stations too. They probably hoped to keep the call code change a secret.

I wonder if there is a way to find out if other local media stations are being subjected to this.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
If you truely believe its just your own states media that is controlled.... then apparently they are doing a damn good job with you.

Look up JFK's speech on the media, and groups that controll it.

FOX
CNN
NBC
ABC
CBS

sound familiar??? that is the top 5 news stations in the world, all controlled by the same group of people. (FACT) but yet they all have different sides, wouldnt be to make you believe on is right and the others wrong would it? Guess what, their all wrong!!!! they are not their for "WE THE PEOPLE" more like "WE THE CORPERATION"

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
It certainly lends a lot of credence to the idea that the government is preparing for martial law.

Considering how bad it is already, just another brick in the wall. We should have risen to smash the wall so many times.

Waco, for example. So many many other times. I don't like feeling like there's no hope. I can hope enough people wake up all at once to do more than vent and hold signs about it.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I grew up in Jacksonville (Jax) and now live just north in the next county, Nassau. These agencies went to Trunking Systems recently, even Nassau county where I live had to take out bond issues or whatever, above and beyond a federal grant to do so to afford to change their radios. Regular scanners are trash for trunking radios. I have a scanner with trunking. However, to set them up you need the information on the trunking system. Some ham radio operators in the area and in clubs post this info on the net. I think civilian radios are going to be coming back into use more and more. Like CB's with SSB, two-meter radios, HAMS, etc. The problem is more of the code changes. We had Signal 7 -Dead Person. or other 10 - codes. We had long lists of all the codes and their meanings. Even before they switched to trunking systems, the officers would call each other on their cell phones to make sure critical info didn't get out. Sometimes they even gave their numbers over the radio. But, with the code changes, even having a trunking scanner that is set up right, you will still be hearing code that you don't understand what it means. Now, like me I grew up with some of these officers and I am sure like other things a person has ways to get the new codes, They will have little books to keep with them because they all are not going to remember all the codes, That is an officer saftey issue IMO. My best friend went in the Navy after High School and now works for Motorola, which is used by just about all the federal state and local agencies. He repairs their towers, radios, etc. A great source to get everything one needs. Now, I am not the only one like that, And there are officers that don't keep tight lips either.

My concern here, besides what I stated before is why the DHS is doing it, giving the order. I suspect it is because of what we had heard earlier that they intend on federalizing all the police forces, state and local too. That is a huge problem in my way of seeing things. I have had State and Local interfere in between federal agents that would have charged you with trumped up charges, but after the officers objected they let things go. If they federalize all the forces, then the jurisdictional issue is null and void. Just like California state and local police not arresting or bothering the marijuana shops for medical purposes. It is legal in California, but it is not federally. They could overnight force the California officers to arrest and shut them down by federal law. There are lots of federal laws you don't want every cop around enforcing. That is where the POLICE STATE really comes in.

Besides that, I believe that whatever all the governents are preparing for, this is a final step to having the system in place for martial law. It would be a hodge podge effect if it was city police, county sheriffs, state police and various federal agencies. They wouldn't necessarily be real hard on their local citizens. But, federalize them, train them militarily as they did before Waco, and Houston We Have a Problem! A Big Problem!

I believe the DHS knows that not every law officer is on board for their plans. So the decision was made to federalize first. And to do that, you have to have the command and control in place first. And the first and biggest part is the communications equipment and codes being uniform all over the place, which they are not now. You can see different codes between county Sheriffs, State Police, City and Private police forces. They will all need to be able to communicate from DHS HQ down to the local traffic patrol. And that is what is happening. I don't like the fact it is happening in my home town either. I left and moved out of Jax because of their methods of operations and disregard for citizens rights. The police where I am now are zero tolerance, but they don't bother you unless you are being an idiot and asking for it

edit on 6/9/11 by spirit_horse because: typos

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Authorities in Jacksonville have a deep obsession with control, another good reason not to live in that city. Now the police have censored the flow of information, allow them the sole choice of what to and not to release to the general public. What worries me even more than a city with a control problem is that the Department of Defense ordered this strict censorship, this shows they will probably try and enforce this in other cities. Also why Jacksonville? What is happening here or expected to happen here in this quiet and relatively unknown major American city that they need strict censorship ordered by the Feds?

I am so glad that I left Jacksonville at a young age, St. Johns County is so much better.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Yeah, I live here in J'ville and the reputation of the JSO is pretty bad. They cant shoot accurately so innocents get injured. They're attitude is guilty until proven innocent. No wonder they dont want anyone listening. taking the scanners as well as increased chemtrail activity overhead, couple with other bizaar happenings with their helo's flying in repeated patterns several nights in a row. Somethings up in J'ville.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I don't know how it works over there, but how can they make you turn in police scanners? Are they issued? I know a lot of people in Texas have them, all bought and paid for. How can you demand private property?..

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
What troubles me, is that my wife informed me that police in Jax aren't required to have dash cameras? I thought all police were required to have them now?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I understand that a lot of you are scared and outraged, but truthfully, my reaction to this is more one of curiousity, than anything else.

The one thing I wish I had information about, is why they're doing this. What is motivating it, and what the event is that is coming, that is so terrible that they feel a need to restrict information in this way.

I think that possibly is what it might be more beneficial for us to focus on, right now. Outrage is important and can be beneficial, yes; but I think if we focus too strongly on that right now, we risk missing something very important.

Let's really ask the question, here. What is the government so afraid of?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

That's a good point. And the first thing I thought of is who is giving the orders and what the orders are. If we don't have a coms capability, we are at their mercy. Tactical units and federal agencies have long used encrypted coms so the people they are going after can't be alerted a few minutes beforehand. But to take it back from the media is a strange one for me. It takes time to hit the papers or local news. It's not like they are breaking into programming and telling people, "OK, they are going to this address and going on a drug raid". So, it doesn't make sense unless like others have said or indicated, they are about to do something that may enrage the public should they find out. Personally, I am leaning to all of this preparation for federalized authority in a marshal law type situation. The whole financial world seems to be a deck of cards and one thing about Jacksonville is that it is a huge port city with rail and highway systems going through it, and higways to routes like I-95, I-10, I-75 not far. If there is an emergency for any reason that resorts in a collapse of civility and they have to declare martial law, with Jax also being a big military town with Mayport NAS, Mainside NAS, Kings Bay Sub Base, Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Brunswick, Ga etc. People bound for various prison camps would be traveling through this port city en mass. Now I know that is a very conspiratorial idea, but these days I don't put anything off the table. If you take circumstantial evidence as to what has been happening with underground base building, long term food storage stuffs and technology being snapped up by the gov., etc ad nauseum, the governments of the world are aware of some eventuality. And that eventuality is getting closer and closer. What it is is anyones guess right now, and I am sure we all have a couple of our own favorites, but I do agree that we need to look past the event to why it is happening. The police long ago were taught to look past the traffic ticket for other crimes. That is why they are always so interested in what else is going on besides the speeding or seat belt off or whatever. That same theory of operation would do any conspiracy buff well to consider. You may find a lot more going on than focusing all your effort on the face of the event like this situation.

edit on 7/9/11 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
There are two sides to this issue. One is the ability for the public to have the ability to police their Police force. Anytime something is hidden or secret....their is ALWAYS....and I know this more than most...ALWAYS...a possibility of abuse.

The other side is the Police to protect their people as well as to be able to opperate without criminal elements tracking their every move. If you have a person in your family who is a cop....you would tend to be very much in support of this.

So....this must be weighed....pro and con....Split Infinity

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
There's a naval base in Jax. A friend of mine did some jobs near teh docking station.
edit on 8-9-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

top topics

join