It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tattoos give you cancer? FDA says inks contain carcinogenic chemicals

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by celticpride
Think the UK official figures for cancer is 1 in 3 people will get it at some point...we can't avoid everything. Misdiagnosis will kill you faster...and stress.

In Canada it's 1 in 4 mortality. And nearly 1 in 2 for developing the disease.

Based on current incidence rates, 40% of women and 45% of men in Canada will develop cancer during their lifetimes.  Current mortality rates indicate that 24% of women and 29% of men, or approximately one out of every four Canadians, will die from cancer.

Source

A little scary when you think about it.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
It's funny how threads like this one provoke the "you're gonna die anyways" or "everything causes cancer" crowds.

I'm simply identifying a potential risk.

This thread isn't about removing from anyone the ability to chose to assume the risk. It simply notifies of a possible risk. For those who do care, they now know there may be something worth considering here.

edit on 5-9-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Body adornment is a personal choice but still it is good to know the chemicals being injected under your skin and their effects.

chemistry.about.com...

uk.answers.yahoo.com...

plastic based ink should be avoided at all costs.

I avoid ink and prefer scarification on the top of my bald head. Most of them a result of exwives and girlfriends for transgressions both real and imagined.........

edit on 5-9-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
It is a good thing to point out risk (infection, disease, etc.) as well as attempt to determine the reliability of the business practices, including where the supplies are obtained, but as with most studies of this type, I have to wonder at the reliability of the findings linking cause and effect. As an example: my morning cup of coffee will put me at risk and lower my risk for different types of cancer or not be a risk factor at all, according to the many studies published. I have to wonder if this is another "long shot" given that there are a huge amount of factors involved.

edit on 5-9-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Well it make sthe most sense, however proper licensed tattoo places use the best safest inks they can.

That said i wouldnt be supprised at all if it was true, injecting perminant dyes under your skin is just asking for trouble.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre

Originally posted by boncho
I heard that DIY tatooers in prison use all sorts of things for ink, (because they aren't allowed it), one of those being burnt plastic...

I have a feeling that form of tatoo outdoes normal ones in cancer causing by far.

The DIY ink you are speaking of is almost always india ink.. mixed with any number of things.. sometimes even ash from burnt toilet paper..

But that's prison ink.. not a tattoo from a licensed artist in a sanitary environment..

yeah, every tattoo artist i've ever met is totally OCD about sanitation and a clean and professional work place. most people see them and think the opposite, as i'm sure most people who read the article will assume, but cleaning and preparation takes up a huge part of the process even if you don't see them doing it. and if you don't get an OCD clean vibe from them, then i wouldn't even bother wasting your time there. it's usually a really fine line between some seedy little parlor and the popular ones in your city, and that'll be the barometer, cleanliness and open minds.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
People, it takes decades to get cancer from a toxic source. It's really anyones guess by the time you get it what the source actually was. I've always thought that tattoos were foolish. It seems to block vitamin-d production, and you're covering your skin, the largest organ that easily absorbs substances, permanently with chemicals.

It's just dumb. Want to be creative? Don't get a tattoo. Millions upon millions have already messed their skins. Do something original. Tattoos are not really creative at all. It just looks trashy.
edit on 5-9-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Well That's me screwed then!

Although, considering I've been tattooed for over 20 years, with no ill effects whatsoever.......It's obviously a slow developing cancer!

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
well I'm a former tattoo artist and I have Lots of tattoos

but I know Ive seen old studies that showed you do not experience syphilitic outbreaks where your skin is tattooed

I think that it protects against some skin cancers too ,course i smoke so nothing can help me now.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrsBlonde
well I'm a former tattoo artist and I have Lots of tattoos
but I know Ive seen old studies that showed you do not experience syphilitic outbreaks where your skin is tattooed
I think that it protects against some skin cancers too ,course i smoke so nothing can help me now.

That is great news. If I ever get syphilis I'm going to get covered head to toe in tats.

Thank you my friend.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
If this is true, then I'm in some kinda trouble!

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
What about they guy, who lives until age 95, has tattooed sleeves, drinks every day, and has smoked a pack a day for over 50 years?

Just try to be healthy. Eating healthy and staying active are the two most important denominators for living a long, healthy life. Most people who actually worry about reports like these, have a laundry list of problems regarding their lifestyle.

We all know the person who hasn't exercised in decades, is obese, eats like crap, drinks every night, and tells others you shouldn't smoke because cigarettes will kill you.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Everything, "they" say causes cancer. Last report was ;cell phones and coffee causes cancer! Coffee, really? How about the important things that really do cause cancer? That is not mentioned. Things not monitored... (fish, thanks EPA)...
Sure there's a risk in any situation of "do it yourself" body mods. with cheap inks and substitute inks. Let's see I don't smoke cigs. Don't have a cell phone. Sun bathing? Nope I am a Redhead, I burn. Only have tats done in the cleanest/safest ink possible. I'm more worried about radiation exposure(job-clinical) and fallout.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
If the colour blue gives you cancer,im in trouble!

It is frowned upon in business by certain people but as long as you can wear a long sleeved shirt and the ink isnt visable(an inch or so down from wrists and centre band in chest ink free)then they wont ever know at the work place

I must admit I dont like any ink shown on hands,neck or face!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join