It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tattoos give you cancer? FDA says inks contain carcinogenic chemicals

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Now tattoos give you cancer: U.S. regulator probes fears inks contain carcinogenic chemicals

Smoking, drinking, sunbathing and mobile phones have all been implicated in the surge in cancer diagnoses.

But now it seems another cause may soon be added to the ever-growing list: tattoos.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has launched an investigation after new research turned up troubling findings about toxic chemicals in tattoo ink.

Recently published studies have found that the inks can contain a host of dodgy substances, including some phthalates, metals, and hydrocarbons that are carcinogens and endocrine disruptors.

As more and more people seem to have these, you may want to think twice about getting or having more.

edit on 5-9-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I heard that DIY tatooers in prison use all sorts of things for ink, (because they aren't allowed it), one of those being burnt plastic...

I have a feeling that form of tatoo outdoes normal ones in cancer causing by far.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
What doesnt give you cancer these days?

second

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Only certain colours, the blue and that ink thats supposed to show up under U.V. light. There could be more now, been a while since my last ink

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Funny this topic came up actually, i used to work in a funeral home and my old boss new when some one had a tattoo and where before seeing it. Some how linked death to tattoo's.

I'm pretty screwed, i got a fair few lol

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I guess Im on my way out then seeing as I am sleeving. Ah well...twas a good run

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
There sure are a lot of studies geared toward finding what causes cancer. Cant we just go ahead and assume everything causes cancer and focus on how to cure it?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Cancer is just basically mutated cells. Cancer is believed to be hereditary.
kidshealth.org...

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
so does aspartame. but its allowed in millions of foods here. Who cares what the FDA says, they aren't on our side bro.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

Yeah, locked in a germ free box from birth and you might get cancer....

Im sorry but living life seems to be fraught with cancer barreirs, if we took every peice of advice and didnt do anything we STILL might be at risk so... how important is it to avoid.

Surly its fate either way, for those that are into that.

Not that this particular cancer causing effect scare directly affects me, never have never will like 'tats'
edit on 5-9-2011 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
What doesnt give you cancer these days?

Exactly. I heard just last week on the radio that being unemployed can cause cancer!

It's starting to seem that "cause of cancer" is a tool being used by some to manipulate people's behaviour.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolvo

Originally posted by Wolvo
Funny this topic came up actually, i used to work in a funeral home and my old boss new when some one had a tattoo and where before seeing it. Some how linked death to tattoo's.

That's really interesting.

Can you tell us more?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Glad I've never been tattooed.

2nd line.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
c'mon loam you can see through this garbage.

since when does the FDA try to protect us?

this is just a weak fear campaign to attack creative expression. the FDA causes cancer.

ETA: i'm happily tattooed as well.

edit on 5-9-2011 by shagreen heart because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
My sister is a tattoo artist.. This is completely ridiculous, I am covered almost completely in ink.. And most of the people i know are also..

The bottom line: There is no evidence that tattoos lead to skin cancer..

Edit to add: as for the UV ink.. That is a completely different story.
edit on 5-9-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
My sister is a tattoo artist.. This is completely ridiculous, I am covered almost completely in ink.. And most of the people i know are also..

The bottom line: There is no evidence that tattoos lead to skin cancer..

sunbathing either. you only develop skin cancer if you eat like s%#t and aren't hydrated/nourished and go out and cook yourself in the sun. wake up people, the FDA doesn't want to protect you at all.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
I heard that DIY tatooers in prison use all sorts of things for ink, (because they aren't allowed it), one of those being burnt plastic...

I have a feeling that form of tatoo outdoes normal ones in cancer causing by far.

The DIY ink you are speaking of is almost always india ink.. mixed with any number of things.. sometimes even ash from burnt toilet paper..

But that's prison ink.. not a tattoo from a licensed artist in a sanitary environment..

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
So does BPA water bottles... ain't gonna stop anyone from drinking out of them. Where is the FDA on this, anyway?

So does smoking... ain't gonna stop anyone from smoking.

So does a million other things... ain't gonna stop anyone from living.

Forget the fear mongering... You're either gonna get cancer, or you aren't. Whether or not you partake in something that 'can' cause cancer doesn't mean you won't end up getting it from some unknown source. There is a lot that can cause cancer, and worrying about it will end up killing you before the cancer does.

If you want a tat, go and get one. Don't play into the mind games.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Think the UK official figures for cancer is 1 in 3 people will get it at some point...we can't avoid everything. Misdiagnosis will kill you faster...and stress.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Recently, the FDA launched new studies to investigate the long-term safety of the inks, including what happens when they break down in the body or interact with light. Research already has shown that tattoo inks can migrate into people’s lymph nodes.

For now the long-term health risks – if any – from tattoo inks remain murky.

"The short answer is we don't know if the chemicals in tattoo inks represent a health hazard," said Joseph Braun, an environmental epidemiologist at Harvard University in Boston, Mass., who was is not involved in the new studies.

In July, scientists reported their discovery that the chemical dibutyl phthalate, a common plasticizer, along with other substances, are found in black tattoo inks. In the study of 14 commercially available inks, they found low levels of dibutyl phthalate in all of them.

"The substances found in the inks might be partially responsible for adverse skin reactions to tattoos," wrote the dermatologists from Germany’s University of Regensburg.

For phthalates, which can mimic estrogen or disrupt testosterone, exposure of fetuses and infants is the major concern. In infant boys, prenatal exposure to dibutyl phthalate has been linked to feminization of the reproductive tract. In men, phthalate exposure has been linked to sperm defects and altered thyroid hormones.

But phthalates in tattoo inks may not carry the same risk.

Link.

I'd say there is plenty to nonetheless consider...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join