It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Underground vs. Mainstream (hiphop/rap)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
these are all pretty dope, thanks for sharing fellas/gals!

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Hopsin.

He's great!

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
A couple more.....

King Gordy and Prozak

Prozak

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Why isn't underground as known as mainstream? You have both asked and answered that question.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggalette

Strage Music FTW. Tech is a freakin...well.. mental giant. If you wanna see an underground artist go mainstream (or have the mainstream go him) keep an eye on Tech. He's blowin' up this year. KCMO reppin'.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Plugged

Holy cow! I didn't know Louis Theroux posted here.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Check out Common Market, Blue Scholars and Macklemore from Seattle and the surrounding area soo dope. Majority of songs are really well thought out and has some amazing lyrics plus sabzi is just an amazing dj.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a few more

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

The phenomenal Shing02 with beats by the late great Nujabes. Japanese rap at it's best.

Chechen rap. Doesn't get any more gangsta than this. **** the OMON

Lovin these guys.
edit on 5-9-2011 by FEDec because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

Lmao we do look quite alike. Dalek is so sick. This is by far my favorite form of hip hop, straight lyrical genius. I love trading bands with other people around the world for precisely this reason. Everyone finds great new artists and music from different regions and absorb them into their collections, keeping it fresh and varied. God bless the interwebs.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Plugged
reply to post by FEDec

Lmao we do look quite alike. Dalek is so sick. This is by far my favorite form of hip hop, straight lyrical genius. I love trading bands with other people around the world for precisely this reason. Everyone finds great new artists and music from different regions and absorb them into their collections, keeping it fresh and varied. God bless the interwebs.

I like to call it a musical picnic everyone brings a bit. I love meeting up with friends I haven't seen in a while and doing this. Sorry to break up the smooth train with that Chechen rap I just think that stuff is hilarious.

Rahzel is hardly underground but he is still not as popular as he should be. Keep an ear peeled for the awesome kraftwerk bit during wind.

The almighty Lootpack.
edit on 6-9-2011 by FEDec because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

Damn man. I just got done listening through Abandoned Language. Not just the song but the whole album. SOOOOO good. I can't thank you enough for putting him up here. Some of dopest stuff I've ever heard...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by HardyWhite

HAHAHA. I'm sold. He spits some serious truth, especially regarding Tyler, the Creator. I actually like some of Tyler's stuff but he really can't rap without saying something completely obscene. His beats are catchy as hell and his lyrics are pretty hilarious. I listen to him with the same mindset I listen to Eminem with, if that makes sense to you. I disagree with almost everything he says, but it's entertaining.

This was stuck in my head all day...while at an elementary school.

edit on 6-9-2011 by Plugged because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Plugged
reply to post by FEDec

Damn man. I just got done listening through Abandoned Language. Not just the song but the whole album. SOOOOO good. I can't thank you enough for putting him up here. Some of dopest stuff I've ever heard...

I heard about them pretty much the same way seems to be a word of mouth thing going on. I didn't like their latest as much as abandoned language, but I haven't listened to it as much so maybe it'll grow on me. Their mixes and beats are just too crazy to pass up then the lyrics really start to set in and you are hooked.

I've gotta say I've been liking Tyler too. His schtick does seem limited though, for now I will treat him like Necro. Good for a laugh gettin spry with my bros but turn it off when the girls show up hah.

Such smooth mixes when you consider the lyrics.
edit on 6-9-2011 by FEDec because: missing H again

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

This stuff is cyclic to the point of being trance inducing. Hit or miss, right for some situations/people not for others.

A little MF Doom. Again not really underground but not top 40 either. Special Herbs 1&2 is a must have cd set. the rest of them I would suggest only if you are a huge fan.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by OwenGP185
reply to post by sirissacnewtone

Rap = Mainstream, guns, snitches etc.

Hip hop = Society, love, emotion and more positive and original styles.

No, just no. Hip Hop is the culture Rap and Rapping is an element of the culture. As any Hip Hop fan worth their salt knows it has many elements. Originally there were just four but that has expanded, to name just a few: Rapping, Beatboxing, Graffiti, Turntablism and Break Dancing. All Rap is Hip Hop but not all Hip Hop is Rap.

But on to my real reason for bumping this thread. Am I the only one on earth who doesn't think Das Racist is all that? Whenever people like a group like this it kinda makes me think that they were ardent hip hop haters but joined a social group that regularly listens to it.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
found some pretty good artists on youtube lately - just plug in these names:

Sick Since
ATMA
Masta Buildas
Akashik Ancestorz
Son Of Saturn
Revolt Motion Records
The Beast 1333

I am in the rap duo HIDDEN FORTRESS, we have a lot of music available for FREE download. Check us at these links if you are interested in underground, dark electronic rap. Our latest album is called "All That Is" and was released through indie rap label Hand 'Solo Records out of Toronto.

handsolorecords.com...
www.youtube.com...
hiddenfortress.bandcamp.com...
nofutureface.blogspot.com...
www.reverbnation.com...

Peace!

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Oh man, didnt notice that LMNO link at first!! "Grin and Bear It" is one of my fave songs, killer! Thanks for the memory....

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Underground all the way. No doubt

L. - Blue Lights & Blunts

Universal Dialect - Make it happen

Universal Dialect would have to be one of the most forgotten Underground hip/hop groups of all time. No matter how you much you search you will never find them. They went under the name Greans a few years ago, but they never made a complete comeback. Members include : King Solomon, Cold Showda, Brotha Def and DJ Pioneer
edit on 13-9-2011 by KonquestAbySS because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AmrikazNightmar3

couldn't agree more with your choice of cunninlynguists.. especially their oneirology album. as close to perfect as it gets.

favorite track off that album would probably have to be enemies with benefits ft. tonedeff. i hope to see them perform at least once in my lifetime

but my most recent obsession would probably be the koolmotor album by five deez. alsdjalk, good frequencies from their music :p can't help but feel at peace after listening to one of their songs

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join