It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Underground vs. Mainstream (hiphop/rap)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Why don't underground/independent artists get recognition like mainstream artists? I usually find independent artists and underground music more appealing in todays music scene than being hit with the same monotonous mainstream garbage talking about bitc**s and ho*s drugs cars etc etc.

Lately I've been listening to a group called Low End Theory, they sample mainstream songs but remake them into dope songs with substance! I posted a track by them in another music thread but I suppose it was overlooked because most of the songs pertaining to the thread were of the Rock/Metal genre.

So what underground or independent artists are you guys listening to lately? Or are you still stuck on the brainwashing for the material life by MSM and TPTB that use it constantly to deviate us from a more real and spiritual path? Let's see those links people!

This is the only video they have up that i CONSTANTLY jam to and is on repeat after a stressful day at work or just in plain good ol life. It's dope and soothing while being reminiscent of Kid Cudi while lyrically utilizing an array of subtle verbal imagery in their music. I actually contacted the group and they told me its not the typical application of the bedroom as one would think; supposedly they record in one of their members apartments in a bedroom where its been converted to a studio hence "I do it in the bedroom every night," I thought that was clever/neat for them to emphasize other uses of the Bedroom other than sleeping and fornicating, AHEM lol

Check em out and post some of the music you're jamming!

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

/Wisdom.

Team Teamwork is boss too. You should check out both of their albums; Ocarina of Rhyme and Vinyl Fantasy 7.

edit on 5-9-2011 by Plugged because: Video addition

edit on 5-9-2011 by Plugged because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Not really into underground rap. The scene is to belittling for me, you meet some cats that just read behold a pale horse and all the sudden they know everything and want to rap about.

But as im writing this, this isnt to bad.

This is more me

or this

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Plugged

/Wisdom.

Team Teamwork is boss too. You should check out both of their albums; Ocarina of Rhyme and Vinyl Fantasy 7.

edit on 5-9-2011 by Plugged because: Video addition

The grimey-ness of the first track is SICK! Thanks for putting me on! However, the second link doesnt work... re-up it esp if its the same artist!

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
This is more me

or this

Your links don't work bro.. re-up em, i'd love to check em out and add em to my collection!

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by sirissacnewtone

Sorry mate, I can't seem to get it to work so I'll just post the links.

Team Teamwork
Busdriver

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Sorry mate, I can't seem to get it to work so I'll just post the links.

Team Teamwork
Busdriver

Damn I love Pusha-T, he's so raw! Clipse have some sick tracks for moderate mainstream group cause of Neptunes!

Dope tracks bro! Looking forward to adding them to my "Ultimatastic Playlist" on iTunes lol
edit on 5-9-2011 by sirissacnewtone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Thanks man. I've just recently gotten into good hiphop in the last year. My little brother is always showing new artists he finds. Such as this guy, Immortal Technique. This song gave me chills...

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Depends on your taste I guess I listen to a few mainstream rappers but I'm normally listening to 1998-2003ish tx underground music the Slim Thug, Chamillionaire, Paul Wall, Swisha House type music. It is a materialistic(sp?) type of music but they worked they butt off to get everything they had before they signed a major deal. Their music did deal with alot of cars money and "hoes" but every cd they would tell people to get up and go find your hustle. I personally don't see any music as a distraction or used to dumb someone down. I grew up on bone thugs n harmony and I never heard murder sound so good but if you let a song shape up who you are and what you do and think....then you was dumb downed beforehand. But as of right now I'm usually listening to old music nothing really new unless it chamillionaire or eminem.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Thanks man. I've just recently gotten into good hiphop in the last year. My little brother is always showing new artists he finds. Such as this guy, Immortal Technique. This song gave me chills...

LOL I remember listening to Dance W/ the Devil when I was on a lot of whacky tobbacy and when the specific part dropped I literally was like WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAT THHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDGE lol that track is genius on so many levels! You have good taste in music man! PM w/ a list if you don't mind?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Im sorry to say this but that first song was pretty pants

I've dug this out from deep underground you should all feel very blessed. Im honestly not sure how ats is gunna be affected by this i hope it will be interesting still. Enjoy!

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by txraised254
Depends on your taste I guess I listen to a few mainstream rappers but I'm normally listening to 1998-2003ish tx underground music the Slim Thug, Chamillionaire, Paul Wall, Swisha House type music. It is a materialistic(sp?) type of music but they worked they butt off to get everything they had before they signed a major deal. Their music did deal with alot of cars money and "hoes" but every cd they would tell people to get up and go find your hustle. I personally don't see any music as a distraction or used to dumb someone down. I grew up on bone thugs n harmony and I never heard murder sound so good but if you let a song shape up who you are and what you do and think....then you was dumb downed beforehand. But as of right now I'm usually listening to old music nothing really new unless it chamillionaire or eminem.

That's wussup! I'm from Houston and was on that SUC for a while, along with Slim Thugga but they got monotonous real fast just like Paul Wall and his carats and salad and green and beans flow he had in every track. I LOVE cham, I can't wait for em to drop Poison! N'Luv With my Money was one of my favorite tracks, Cham is/was a BEAST! But Mixtape Messiahs all go HARD excluding the last two, not all tracks had me going nuts like they use to. Controversy Sells is still one of my favorite albums!

And I didn't mean that the music doesn't dumb anyone down but it does carve out the perspective you view life in, that's why I said what I did. If you're listening to typical mainstream, then you're a reflection of it cause your output definitely has to do with your input, esp in your brain. Just cause of the hyped up drank, bud, coke, references may help a weak-minded listener to adapt to their idols standards just so they can feel a bit closer to that lifestyle. Get me? But if you're figured out all that from my post then you're definitely not one of the "sheeple" u know?

Where you from in TX? or Htown/Screwston?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Alright admittedly that was the wrong tune blame the time difference im about to hit the sack.
I'll give you this gem aswel though anyway, i was always taught it was good to share

Dont forget to hit 420p its worth i trust me.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

lol I know right? That exactly how I was introduced to the song too. I'm just gonna post a list on here if you don't mind. Maybe some lurkers would like to check out some new stuff.
Channel Live
Common
A Tribe Called Quest
Mos Def
Tech N9ne
MF Doom
Madlib
Tyler the Creator
Greg Enemy
Dutch Newman
Stik Figa

I'll hit my brother up and have him send me all the ones he can think of too.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 5-9-2011 by Plugged because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

The problem is when underground artists get recognition they become mainstream. Money is the problem, sing up to record companies then they become and brand and starting selling a product rather than music. Underground will always be better because you don’t have corporations like Sony dictating what music you churn out. I find Hip hop to be better than rap as I see a difference and hip hop music is way more original so I like to separate the two.

Rap = Mainstream, guns, snitches etc.

Hip hop = Society, love, emotion and more positive and original styles.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
check out this Song guys, it pretty cool. Underground stuff from Germany..
www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
My underground favorites right now are CunninLynguists.

Lyrics:

I'm on an island when my family speaks
As I palm trees, high as the sun of a beach
Right here, quite near to perfecting my speech
But my sleeping habits on average keep me missing my sheets
Yeah
In the studio blazin the beats
Or clubbin with fly birds, rubbin squeezin their Tweets
Flaked on my intervention, I've been missin for weeks
On an international binge with the friends that I keep
Then come home and roam around in my PJ's, for three days
Eatin sour cream n cheese Lays
Relapse itch hit, I'm scratchin like DJ's
Tracks in my veins show I'm feenin for replays
You say free bass? I'll be right there
I like mine with a nice cut and light snare
Get it to me rapido and I might share
Rappin makes me happy so, why stop why care?
I'm hooked

Has too be one of my favorite lines ever.

Heavily underrated.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Just a couple of my favorites

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Psycho Realms

Roots Manuva (UK Hip Hop)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join