Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Most challenging food...?

page: 1
2
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Cooking to me is an art. I have slowly throughout my life procured skills to make pretty much anything I put my mind to. Now, to keep pushing myself further, I need a recipe with more difficulty!!

So this begs the question, what has been your most challenging dish to prepare thus far? ...Or what is something you've always wanted to make that just seems next to impossible?? It can be anything!

Doughs/breads/pastas, deserts, main courses, sides, ethnic, vegetarian, meat-friendly--the sky really is the limit!

Just throw it out there so we crazy cooks can take a stab at it!




posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I was served Turducking once...


That really seemed complicated...





posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by donatellanator
 


I have a very old, falling apart book, which has war recipes in it. If you would like to try one
I will see if I can find what looks to be difficult!
Haha, I have to tell you, there are such things as pastry made with potatoes and such! as there was a shortage of so many things...on the plus side, ingredients will be easier to get! Are you willing to cook most things? Theres some strange recipes by my reckoning...or maybe we just dont cook this kinda stuff regularly now

edit on 5-9-2011 by CherryV because: Thumbs up didnt work !



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by CherryV
reply to post by donatellanator
 


I have a very old, falling apart book, which has war recipes in it. If you would like to try one
I will see if I can find what looks to be difficult!
Haha, I have to tell you, there are such things as pastry made with potatoes and such! as there was a shortage of so many things...on the plus side, ingredients will be easier to get! Are you willing to cook most things? Theres some strange recipes by my reckoning...or maybe we just dont cook this kinda stuff regularly now

edit on 5-9-2011 by CherryV because: Thumbs up didnt work !


Anything that sounds tasty I'll make! I love to cook! I just need a challenge. It's been a long while since I messed anything up-- and that is a bad sign!
Thanks for your help in advance


P.S. Love the Rinoa pic... I played that game until my fingers bled
Some of the scenes made this girl cry!
edit on 5-9-2011 by donatellanator because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I find French cooking to be quite complex as in general you have to get alot of the recipes perfect to make it work!

Something like a Cassoulet may be worth a try



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Souffle - without a doubt for me. Come to think of it, maybe having three teenage football players and their friends lumbering through the house during my efforts wasn't helping.



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
I find French cooking to be quite complex as in general you have to get alot of the recipes perfect to make it work!

Something like a Cassoulet may be worth a try


Oooooh! That dish sounds delicious! Think it can be made without pork? I don't eat any pig besides bacon/prosciutto on occasion



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Open2Truth
Souffle - without a doubt for me. Come to think of it, maybe having three teenage football players and their friends lumbering through the house during my efforts wasn't helping.


Just keep at it and I know you'll succeed! Like everything else, practice really does make perfect.
I had to help a friend make pizza dough on 3 separate occasions before he got the hang of it... He doesn't cook at all and he became an honorary Italian through perseverance


Thanks for the tip too! I will have to make a yummy cheese or chocolate one soon, maybe tomorrow... Mmm!



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
I find French cooking to be quite complex as in general you have to get alot of the recipes perfect to make it work!

Something like a Cassoulet may be worth a try
The french have mastered the art of fries.



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
If you can cook a proper potato rosti you are a culinary master in my book!

I've never had one turn out right...



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oldethc
I was served Turducking once...


That really seemed complicated...




I'm watching BBQ Pitmasters and they are doing a turducken, looks pretty crazy

I love grilling, GRILL MOAR FOOD



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Try making Gnocchi with pesto creme. Gnocchi is a potato dumpling that is complicated and fun to make. use two forks instead of a gnocchi paddle. Make sure to use fresh herbs when making this dish as they will stand out in flavor.

Basic Gnocchi

6lb. russet potatoes
1lb.+ 6oz. All Purpose(AP) flour
1/4 cup fresh rosemary
3 T Salt
6oz. butter melted
1/4 cup sage leaves



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Pad Thai! I lived in Thailand for years, and can make Thai dishes with no problems except PAD THAI. Always comes out in a congealed lump. I finally gave up on this one, easier to pick up one on the way home.



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
mmm.. Cassoulet..

I've been through culinary school, love making pastries and most any type of complex dish..

But I have yet to make a really, really good pie crust.



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I have cooked since I was 6 years old, and can make almost anything... except desserts!

For the life of me I cannot be so precise. I cook with my eyes, and nose, but desserts you can screw up with the smallest thing.

So I keep to box desserts, and keep it moving


Also, this includes doughs of all kinds, from tarts to bread and pizza dough.

Peace, NRE.



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by brindle

Originally posted by asala
I find French cooking to be quite complex as in general you have to get alot of the recipes perfect to make it work!

Something like a Cassoulet may be worth a try
The french have mastered the art of fries.


If you are talking about French Fries, they are not from France they are from Belgium. They are called "French" fries for the cut...

Sorry had to, it drives me nuts when people say they are from France.



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
If you can cook a proper potato rosti you are a culinary master in my book!

I've never had one turn out right...


Mmmm! That looks soooo good! Ever tried making latkes instead? They seem very similar and latkes are a breeze! ..plus they have onion and maybe matzo, mmm! I am so hungry now reading these suggestions



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by redbarron626
Try making Gnocchi with pesto creme. Gnocchi is a potato dumpling that is complicated and fun to make. use two forks instead of a gnocchi paddle. Make sure to use fresh herbs when making this dish as they will stand out in flavor.

Basic Gnocchi

6lb. russet potatoes
1lb.+ 6oz. All Purpose(AP) flour
1/4 cup fresh rosemary
3 T Salt
6oz. butter melted
1/4 cup sage leaves



Thanks for the recipe, I love gnocchi!! That is a HUGE amount though :O Might hafta scale it down a bit! Did you know that the term gnocchi comes from the world 'gnocco' which means blockhead in Italian?



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Originally posted by brindle

Originally posted by asala
I find French cooking to be quite complex as in general you have to get alot of the recipes perfect to make it work!
But
Something like a Cassoulet may be worth a try
The french have mastered the art of fries.


If you are talking about French Fries, they are not from France they are from Belgium. They are called "French" fries for the cut...

Sorry had to, it drives me nuts when people say they are from France.


Pommes frites! That aside, you are soooo right! And the Belgians do it BIG! Frying them in beef fat.... mmm!

I know you are a wonderful cook, what do you find is a difficult recipe?



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tabularasa
mmm.. Cassoulet..

I've been through culinary school, love making pastries and most any type of complex dish..

But I have yet to make a really, really good pie crust.


I have a recipe for that... The trick is everything has to stay cold cold cold!! Maybe even invest in a marble rolling pin that you can pop in the fridge/freezer


1 1/2 c all purpose flour
8 tablespoons salter butter
1/3 teaspoon salt
3-4 tablespoons ICE water

Blend flour, butter, and salt in a bowl with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Do not overwork. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of the ice water over the mixture and gently incorporate. if dough does not stick together when gathered into a ball, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of ice water. Divide dough into 4 equal sections and smear with the hell of your hand until flat. Gather all the dough into a ball with a pastry scraper and then flatten into a disk. Wrap disk in plastic wrap and chill until firm, at least 1 hour.

Good luck!
Just as I said to another poster, practice makes perfect!! Especially with pastry and doughs, they are finicky! Once you have it down, you'll enjoy it so much!






new topics




 
2
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join