It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese arms companies 'offered to sell weapons to Gaddafi regime'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Chinese arms companies 'offered to sell weapons to Gaddafi regime'

www.guardian.co.uk

In the final weeks of Muammar Gaddafi's regime, Chinese arms companies offered to sell around $200m (£124m) worth of weaponry to Muammar Gaddafi's government in breach of a UN arms embargo, according to documents found in Tripoli.

The Chinese foreign ministry has confirmed that Libyan officials travelled to Beijing to buy arms in July, although it said no contracts were signed and no weapons delivered.

A spokeswoman said the Chinese government had not known of the state-owned firms' meetings.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Interesting -
the news that chinese companies were in hte arms trade to Liya is itself unsurprsing IMO, and not the main feature here.

Rather it presents the Chinese Govt as not quite so all-controlling as we are led to believe - whether they are jsut ducking for cover by saying they didn't know, or really didn't know - either way it's an unusual take on China IMO.

these are supposed to be "state" companies - so owned by the Govt but nominally independant in terms of generating sales, profits, etc.

Perhaps they are a little more independant than the Chinese Govt wants them to be??

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

China is headed down the road the USSR went down, the defiance shown by some officials proves it. Right now they are all positioning themselves for ownership claims when the state disolves it's holdings.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
China selling arms to Libya.............shocking!!

www.dailymail.co.uk...

International arms merchants sell to anyone. Why should the Chinese be any different?
edit on 5-9-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

You missed my pioint that the proposed sale wasn't all that surprising - what I find surprising is the Chinese Govt's denial of knowledge.

To admit that they don't know what their companies are doing sems strange to me - they are normally seen as being a very deliberate nation, everything they do is for a purpose, etc.
edit on 5-9-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: fix italics

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by whaaa

You missed my pioint that the proposed sale wasn't all that surprising - what I find surprising is the Chinese Govt's denial of knowledge.

To admit that they don't know what their companies are doing sems strange to me - they are normally seen as being a very deliberate nation, everything they do is for a purpose, etc.

Oh, I'm sure they knew. The denial was purely political.
International alliances especially involving arms are such a twisted mess it resembles an octopus menage a trois.
edit on 5-9-2011 by whaaa because: code t8t

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

That's also possible & I mentioned that in my OP - in which case they are "admitting" some loss of face which would also be unusual.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Nothing suprises me when it comes to Red China. However, Shouldn't we be more concerned about what our closest ally was doing concerning Libya? Just saying. ~SheopleNation

Britain and Libya: a very embarrassing friendship

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
This isn't surprising to me in the least. I am sure that the US has done similar, although usually one would not be able to directly trace the sale of these arms back to the branch of the US government that is responsible. It is probably just a handful of individuals in one of our clandestine organizations whom are responsible for the oversight of programs like this.

It would not surprise me if the US knew what China was doing as well, since we spend billions of dollars to ensure the best intelligence...That is why we found no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. /sarcasm.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SheopleNation

I think there is much going to be revealed in Libya about all sorts of nations that will of great interest - including of course the recent revelations about the CIA & MI6 - I imagine there will be lots more info coming out from "documents found".

the Brit's relationship with Libya has been of interest to many for some time - but it's not the subject of this thread - it is certainly a suitable subject for one of its own

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
It really is no great surprise , if we hadn't been about bomb them I'm sure our Government (British) would of been doing under the table deals ......Hey its business

As for the denial by the Chinese leadership , what do you expect , they're a Government that's what Governments do they lie to their people and lie to each other .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----

Post by SheopleNation
Shouldn't we be more concerned about what our closest ally was doing concerning Libya? Just saying.

Lets not forget the role played by the CIA

The papers suggest the CIA abducted several suspected militants from 2002 to 2004 and handed them to Tripoli.

Spokeswoman Jennifer Youngblood said: "It can't come as a surprise that the Central Intelligence Agency works with foreign governments to help protect our country from terrorism and other deadly threats."

Plus whatever we don't know about ,and yes we should be concerned by what both our counties were and still are doing ... and not only in Libya .
www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 5-9-2011 by gortex because: Edit to add

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Well, Libya is part of the subject of the thread, so I thought it was important to point out. However, Since you're the OP, I will respect your wishes.

Like I said before, Nothing that Red China does that is against our interests suprises me. I really believe that we will one day go to war with China. ~SheopleNation

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Yes, I agree. Imagine how much we don't know about. That's what worries me. ~SheopleNation

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus
This isn't surprising to me in the least. I am sure that the US has done similar,

You are correct.

See Ron Paul's Article

www.thedailybell.com...

In light of recent world events, perhaps the most staggering revelation is that quite a bit of money went to the Arab Banking Corp., in which the Libyan Central Bank owned about a third of its stock. This occurred while Libya, a declared state sponsor of terrorism, was under strict economic sanctions! How erratic the US must appear when we shower a dictator alternately with dollars and bombs! Also, we must consider the possibility that those loans are inadvertently financing weapons Gaddaffi is using against his own people and western militaries. This would not be the first time the covert activities of the Fed have undermined not only our economy and the value of the dollar, but our foreign policy as well.

And let's not forget the ATF selling weapons to Mexican cartels.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I am not surprised the chinese would try to help libya. They did know something we didn't at the time. Does anyone remember the call for ceasefire as a chinese carrier arrived ?

Here is the thread talking about that.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 5-9-2011 by RisenAngel77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Not surprising... Even their claims of abiding by UN resolutions is humerous since they got nailed dead to rights supplying Sudan with weapons during the civil war even though a UN arms embargo was present.

China has told so many lies I dont think they know what the truth is any more.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Rather like the US Government, and the UK Government and the French Government and the German Government and the Italian Government and the Canadian Government..........well you get the idea.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

Rather like the US Government, and the UK Government and the French Government and the German Government and the Italian Government and the Canadian Government..........well you get the idea.

...and at no point did I make an exception for those countriues now did I?

China, as with other countries, lied about their involvement. Any particular reason you and others feel the need to hold the Us to a level yet refuse the same to China?

Or can only the US / West do wrong in your eyes?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Exactly - there's nothing particularly unusual about governments keeping secrets, or lying about them.

I think I have thought the Chinese have been a bit more circumspect, strategic & careful about their activities in recent years - even the Sth China Sea & Taiwan issues I have seen them apparently beign deliberate & not over-reaching themselves...yet.

This shows they can be as kack-handed as anyone in "the west"!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Personally China reminds me of a paper tiger. They look good, strong, powerful from a distance, but when you get down to the nuts and bolts you start seeing discrepancies / issues.

They dont have the naval / air power to invade Taiwan (although the modernization plan they are on are finally addressing their naval deficiencies). China has a military superiority based solely on their troop numbers. However as we have seen in the past the doctrine of quantity over quality does not work.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

...and at no point did I make an exception for those countriues now did I?

China, as with other countries, lied about their involvement. Any particular reason you and others feel the need to hold the Us to a level yet refuse the same to China?

Or can only the US / West do wrong in your eyes?

Um no you did not make an exception, but you did not mention them either and just singled out China as liars. I believe more than one in my list is in 'the west' so in what way do you think I am either singling out the US or the west when my comment started "Rather like...." which means that I was including China.

Comprehension appears to be a problem here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join