It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Does Abortion Have To Do With Pro-Choice?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I don't understand how some people can say that being pro-abortion means you are pro-choice and if you are against abortion you are not pro-choice.

How does that make sense?

To me pro-choice = you can do whatever you want to your body

but with Abortion it's not about YOUR body, it's about the body(depending on trimester) inside of you.

You can do whatever you want to your house within property rights as long as you don't hurt the property of your neighbors but does that mean if I am inside of your house you can kill me?

In some cases even when you invited me?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

edit on 5-9-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Woman's right to choose (to kill the baby) is greater than the baby's right to live "IF" that is the woman's choice.

What is not understood?

It is that simple. You can paint whatever rosy picture on it you want but that is the bottom line. The unborn are not considered life if the "mother's" choice is that it isn't. Though if someone causes a mother to loose a baby, that is murder. But not murder if the "mother" wants to kill it off. No political agendas about it.That is the reality.

edit on 5-9-2011 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
It doesn't matter what it's called. It's still murder.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I am pro choice, and yet very anti-abortion.

Obviously, this is no easy subject.

If we are talking about abortions made in the first trimester, I think this is the zone of time where a women should be entitled to nearly unfettered choice on the matter. But when we start moving later into the pregnancy, I think that choice appropriately requires more sober consideration and even potential restrictions based upon certain circumstances-- particularly when a fetus approaches a reasonable chance of survivability outside of the womb.

I believe these things not because I think government should have the right to govern the bodies of women, but rather because government has a responsibility to protect PEOPLE from the burdens imposed unjustly by others-- and I would suggest, losing one's life is a pretty substantial burden.

But please understand my position is not based upon a religious point of view (that's not my gig), but rather a secular one.

A fetus that can reasonably be expected to have a chance to survive outside of the womb is my view deserving of the full protections of person-hood. No mother should be entitled to unfettered power to terminate the life of her child at that stage, imo.

When viability is not at issue, the choice should be a personal one.

I sincerely doubt my view is all that novel or unique.

edit on 5-9-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

It's all about women not having to deal with the consequences of the choices they already made. As for the rape strawman, fetuses conceived in rape account for less than 5% of abortions.
edit on 5-9-2011 by Charmed707 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Is not confusing, in order to promote an anti abotion agenda, propaganda try to separate the women from the growing fetus.

But the truth is that is one and only, as the women can live without a fetus or womb, but a fetus can not live without a womb and a host (women). A fetus is part of the host, no a host part of the fetus.

I am pro choice I will naturally be pro abortion because is not separation plain and simple.

Sorry for those that can make a separation of that in their minds.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

inside of you.

Keywords quoted, the fetus isn't self-aware and is growing inside a woman's body and up until a certain point it can't even feel pain. Being that gestation will occur inside the woman's body it's considered her CHOICE to have the baby or not. I'm not a fan of abortion on the whole, it seems symptomatic of a larger problem namely that human beings are very sexually irresponsible, but it's a sort of necessary evil (using the word evil here loosely). As long as there is rape and unwanted pregnancy there will be the need for abortion.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I don't think anyone is pro-abortion. Pro-choice is supporting the right to choose. Personally I don't know if I could ever decide to have an abortion however, I vehemently believe it is my choice and mine alone as it is every woman the world over.

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
*Sigh*

What exactly do these threads acheive? It should ALWAYS be a woman's choice whether or not she decides to have a child. It is very easy to sit there and judge other people just because you believe your point of view is the only moral and correct choice. What about women who have been raped? What about failed contraceptives? What about circumstances?

Each woman deserves the right to have control over her own body, do you not consider the implications of women being forced into having unwanted children??
edit on 5-9-2011 by AmazonOfArtemis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Charmed707

It's all about women not having to deal with the consequences of the choices they already made. As for the rape strawman, fetuses conceived in rape account for less than 5% of abortions.

Women not dealing with it? Some are told to get abortions by their partner.... or told the father will not support the child..etc

Curious to know how many abortions there would be if men got pregnant? Please don't lay ALL the blame on the woman.. its not fair.

link   

Originally posted by infolurker
Woman's right to choose (to kill the baby) is greater than the baby's right to live "IF" that is the woman's choice.

So if I enter your house when you invite me you can kill me because your choice to murder me is greater than my life?

What is not understood?

What's to understand?
That's not an argument you just made above

if someone causes a mother to loose a baby, that is murder. But not murder if the "mother" wants to kill it off. No political agendas about it.That is the reality.

Ok sure, no agenda...... but also no logic

That's the most insane explanation i've ever hear of in my life, especially considering you sound sincere

link   
reply to post by marg6043

How DARE a fetus rely on their mother for sustenance. The fetus is a seperate entity from the mother that did not make the choice to "invade" the woman's body and should not have their right to life taken away. The fetus does not infringe on anyone else's right and only exists because the mother decided to take the chance of her egg being fertilized.
edit on 5-9-2011 by Charmed707 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I don't think the problem lie's with the right to choose. I think that the problem is abortion has just become another form of contraception. This may sound severe but abortions should be limited to each person (excluding rape and incest victims).

No one's going to argue sex is great, but you have to be responsible. If abortions were restricted everyone would have to consider their actions because if you've ran out, tough it's your baby deal with it.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AmazonOfArtemis

Thank you, make illegal abortion in the US and I bet you that Mexico and Canadian doctors will start making a killing, because women will always find a way.

Abortion is as old as humanity itself.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
A fetus, especially in the first trimester when the vast majority of abortions are performed, are apart of a woman's body whether people like that or not. To be blunt about it: if that fetus is not viable on its own, then it is really little more than a parasite.
edit on 5-9-2011 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmazonOfArtemis
What exactly do these threads acheive? It should ALWAYS be a woman's choice whether or not she decides to have a child.

It IS almost always her choice, rape aside, to get pregnant or not
What are you talking about?

It is very easy to sit there and judge other people just because you believe your point of view is the only moral and correct choice

Ok let's not talk about entitlements right now
HAHA

But you are sitting there yourself in front of a keyboard trying to dictate what is the moral path

What about women who have been raped?

as mentioned rape aside

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Charmed707

Ta, ta, I am not here in this thread to debate your views just to express opinions so good luck with the bait. I been there and done that.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

You're right about men influencing abortions as well. I just had the "my body my choice" type women in mind as I was typing that. That seems to be the mindset the OP was referring to.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

There are many parasitical species (outside the womb). It doesn't change the fact that a fetus is genetically human and is robbed of their life if aborted.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join