It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO Experience From The 1950's

page: 1

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Below is an account by my father. He and I were talking last weekend about UFO's and what not, and he spilled this on me. I asked him to write down his experience, and he told me he already had. Today, I received the email from him detailing his experience. Has anyone else see anything like this? It's not necessarily the "typical" UFO story, but some of the stuff is "standard". Thanks ahead of time.

The following is an occurrence I was involved with back in the early 1950’s. Actually, I didn’t experience it alone. My mother, father and younger brother also witnessed the event. I was about fourteen or fifteen years old at the time. Over the years we’ve discussed it with very, very few people; and most of those are now gone.

This event took place in Beatrice, Nebraska on a typical, cloudless, hot and always muggy Nebraska summer night. It began about 10:00 PM. You might wonder how I could remember the time but not the year. Because it was sort of written in stone that around 10:00 PM was bed time for our family. My mother, brother and I were in the house getting ready for bed and dad had stepped outside to have a smoke. Suddenly he began to yell, telling us to get outside. When we went outside, dad was pointing up in the sky at this weird looking cloud, although I’ve always referred to it as resembling a big puff of smoke. It was just hovering over the house north of us and was very slowly changing shape like a smoke cloud in a windless environment might do. It wasn’t a solid object, yet it seemed to be faintly illuminated as though it was possibly reflecting a light source from the ground. We quickly discovered this was not the case. Because of this illumination is the reason it caught dad’s eye. I’m not sure how high in the sky it was, although I don’t think its altitude was all that great. As I remember, and my family agrees, it was about as big as a basketball held at arms length. But this object wasn’t round.

We stood there several minutes watching it. Suddenly, but slowly, it began to move to the north continuing to change shape. Dad told us to get in the car and we began to chase it. We went only a mile or so before we were out of town. Keep in mind we were on a main highway, which went north and south through Beatrice...a small town of about 8000 or so. Back in those days there was very little traffic at that time of night simple because it was a small town and it wasn’t common practice for people to be out prowling around at 10:00 o’clock at night. From the time we left the house, we never lost sight of this thing. At the north edge of town sat the Beatrice airport that was nothing more than a couple of small hangers, a dirt runway, and a windsock sitting in the middle of a field. The airport was located about a quarter of a mile west of the highway. The road leading to the airport was basically a cow path type road. That is the area where this object stopped and hovered over.

Dad didn’t hesitate a second and immediately drove back in toward the airport. We got about halfway to the hangers and stopped. As bad of a decision as it may have been at that moment, picture four people in a car in the middle of a field at night observing something very close and very extraordinary in the sky. This thing was once again hovering and we were almost directly underneath it. I remember we didn’t get out of the car. We didn’t need to. We could see it quite well by sticking our heads out the windows. Probably another reason we never got out is because dad most likely told us in no uncertain terms to stay in the car.

As we were sitting there in awe for no more than a couple of minutes, the thing suddenly began to get brighter and bigger. Then it started to come at us. The inside of the car lit up, you could feel heat, and that’s when mom screamed. Up to this point it sounds pretty much like a typical modern day UFO encounter, doesn’t it. Well, here’s where it takes a giant twist. Just about the time mom screamed, a beam of light that looked a great deal like a beacon light, but much more intense in brightness, shot up from the northern horizon in a split second and hit this thing dead center. When the light hit it, it reacted similar to a fish on a hook. Like it had life and feeling. You could see it struggling as though trying to free itself from the tip of this beam of light. We sat there for several minutes watching the light beam with this thing on the tip of it slowly recede into the horizon and totally disappear. As I remember, not much was said on the way back home.

That’s what happened. The other thing that has mystified us is why no one else saw it. This anomaly wasn’t something that just appeared for a few seconds and then vanished. It was there for all to see, but apparently no one did. No cars pulled in where we were at. I also remember, while all of this was going on, seeing several cars on the highway that never stopped. Why didn’t they see it?

Of course we watched for any mention of it in the newspaper, but that never happened. The folks didn’t talk about it and my brother and I were instructed to forget it. In a way, we did. After all, how in the world could you ever begin to tell such a story to anyone that would believe you...especially during that time period? But none of us ever forgot it. How could we? It’s been part of our lives over all these years. Upon my father’s grave I swear what I’ve related here is a fact. It happened. We experienced it, and in a way, we still are.

Now let me tell you what didn’t happen. None of us have any sense of lost time. With all the talk of UFOs today, I know enough about abduction stories that lost time is alleged to be part of the experience. Such a thing didn’t happen to us, anyway not that we’re aware of. I’ve asked my mother if she or dad ever looked at a watch or clock. As far as she remembers, neither did. She said we all simply went home and went to bed. She remembers her and dad didn’t even talk about it in bed because they were exhausted and somewhat scared. They just wanted to get to sleep. We all agree that from the time dad spotted the thing over the house north of us, to our chasing it to the airport and back home, no more than 45 minutes or so could have gone by. Definitely no more than an hour.

Another thing that didn’t happen was hearing any sound from this thing. It made absolutely no noise, nor did the beam of light that hit it. It was total silence.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Wow interesting story , very strange .

I believe him but have no idea what on Earth they could have been seeing .

Edit
I've just done a quick search and come across this from 1957 "Ring/Cloud UFO"
www.ufocasebook.com...
edit on 5-9-2011 by gortex because: Edit to add

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Amazing story, thanks for sharing it! I definitely believe him. He seems so matter-of-fact and thorough in his recollection of it - and there's just no reason for him to make something like that up. Good stuff.

Perhaps the beam of light came from a 'mother-ship' not far away over the horizon, and perhaps they were pulling all of their scouts and crafts back before leaving. Maybe you were just saved from abduction by the aliens themselves, maybe they already had their test subjects, maybe they were experiencing a military threat? Who knows, but very interesting.
edit on 5-9-2011 by Ajax because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

Thank you for posting, was very interesting to read. I believe your father, sorry I have nothing much to add, did enjoy to read this though

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
There're many strange stories out there.

Unfortunately, the truth of the matter probably will never be fully realized. It has been wiped away and buried in history like most things are. So all that will be left now is a story .

A man recently died that had told me about an experience when he was 12. He never elaborated but he said it was a ufo and it scared the crap out of him. He took his story with him.

There're a lot of stories between 1950 and 1990. It seems that way to me.

Such is life. If you have a story, say something before you die

And never assume there're not stories. There're many more people that say nothing than there're those who talk. That's the first flawed assumption that most people make.
edit on 5-9-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Man, thank you for sharing the story with us. Experiences like this gives me hope; no matter how many fake cases and videos exist, stories like this will always be there.. without logical explanation. No doubt this one is amazing, and the fact that it happened in the 50s makes the whole thing even more impressive.

I just can't really think of something trivial to explain this case

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Very enjoyable read and thanks for sharing.

One thing I would like to know though, is/was your father a UFO enthusiast since the time this happened?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Thank you all for your comments. I decided to post this because I think it's important that this one particular account exist outside my dad's life experience and what he put on paper. Someone, someday, may have a similar experience, and find solace in knowing someone else saw the same thing.

I will share the other similar story with him, and see what he thinks. Thank you all.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Hi Gortex,

I emailed your link to my dad and asked him if he'd seen it before. Here is his reply.

Nope, haven't seen this before, but what we saw was nothing like this. What we saw was not round. It was like a blob of smoke or cloud with no definite shape. It just kept changing shape. Hard to explain it exactly.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
absolutely fascinating!! i have waited most of my life to experience such a thing, but in all reality if that day ever comes i'll more than likely crap my pants

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
What a unique story. As another individual has stated, it's pretty cool to know that people witnessed strange or unidentified objects in the past.

I too have a story to share. I cannot recall how many months ago this encounter took place, but it happened this year (2011, Northern California). I had been focusing on and following anything related to extraterrestrial beings with occasional outings at night to marvel at creation. On a particular night I decided to step outside and sit on a white plastic chair. I felt very relaxed and at home with all of my earthly surroundings. After some time, I decided to go back inside the house. About a foot length from the door I felt "something" and decided to turn around. What I saw next did not necessarily amaze me, the feeling just felt right and natural. Not too far ahead of me, an orangish object in the sky seemed to be getting closer in my direction. This object emitted no sound at all and as far as altitude goes, it stood at about the height of a 3 story house. The object continued its course eventually passed me directly above me.

I found it interesting that the light being emitted from the object began to fade to the point of extinguishing itself soon after passing my house. To this day, I don't know what I saw, but still recall the "right" feeling I got from the encounter. Some people like snapping away, others videotaping and myself, I just like experiencing every moment of "it".

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Luckyxfactor

Could you describe the orange object in more detail?

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
First thing that i pictured was parallax from The Green Lantern movie with ryan reynolds. Not that I'm trying to connect the two, but the formless smoke, with hints of sentience bubbled that image to the surface quickly for me.

Also, I don't suppose he had any idea of the origin of the beam of light. ie, within a particular mountain range, whether the beam had any source visible, etc.
edit on 24-5-2012 by JunoJive because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
What a great story.
Must have been a brilliant experience for the whole family.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Navy_vet_stg3, thanks for sharing your father's account - although not completely the same, thought this report from the archives of the Naval Security Group Command had some aspects to it which sounded a bit similar.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/738671983d99.jpg[/atsimg]

COMNAVSECGRU

APRIL 30, 1979

AT 220032 AUG 15 OBSVD BRIGHT WHITE LIGHT APPEARING AT BEARING 02E (TRUE NORTH), ELEVATION APPROX 15 DEGREES POSIT 6F MULLER 23 17 82 19[?]. DURING THE FIRST MIN OF OBSERVATION THE LIGHT WAS PULSATING OR FLUCTUATING IN BRIGHTNESS AT APPROX ONE SECOND INTERVALS.FOR THE NEXT TWO MINS OF OBSERVATION THE LIGHT BEGAN PULSATING CONCENTRIC RINGS OF LIGHT WHICH FLOWED FROM THE CENTRAL (S) SOURCE IN A RIPPLING, SHIMMERING FASHION DIMINISHING IN BRIGHTNESS AS THEY DREW FURTHER AND FURTHER AWAY FROM THE ORIGINATING SOURCE. DURING THE FOURTH MINS OF OBSERVATION A BLUISH GREEN BEAM OF LIGHT APPEARED FROM THE CENTRAL CORE OF THE CONFIGURATION, EXTENDING OUTWARD AND DOWNWARD TO THE LEFT AT AN ANGLE OF APPROX 45 DEGREES, AND REACHING TO THE FADE OUT POINT OF THE RADIATING RINGS OF LIGHT. APPROX FIVE MINUTES AFTER THE APPEARANCE OF THE BLUISH-GREEN BEAM (SIMILAR IN APPEARANCE TO A SEARCHLIGHT BEAM), THE RADIATIVE CIRCLES OF LIGHT DISAPPEARED, LEAVING ONLY THE CORE OF LIGHT AND THE COLORED BEAM. FOLLOWING THE DISAPEARANCE OF THE CIRCLES, THE BEAM SEEMED TO RETRACT TOWARDS THE CENTRAL CORE, GROWING BROADER AND STOUTER AS IT RETRACTED. FINALLY, THE BEAM AND CORE SEEMED TO FORM INTO A NEBULOUS CLOUD-SHAPED MASS, WHICH DRIFTED SOUTH ON THE WIND, FADING FROM VIEW AFTER APPROX 14 MINS. DURING THE EVENT, THE FOLLOWING ATMOSPHERIC DATA WAS ACCUMULATED: BAROMETER 29.95, TEMPERATURE - 83 DEGREES DRY 178 DEGREES WET. VISIBILITY EXCELLENT, FOUR TENTHS CLOUD COVER (STRATUS AND CUMULUS) WIND E X N.S. AT 12 KTS, ELECTRICAL STORM FORMING OVER IMMEDIATE AREA OF CITY OF HAVA

link

Cheers.
edit on 19-9-2012 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Thanks! I'll forward that along to the old guy.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Hi and just to say thanks for sharing.

join