South Korean movies are great.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by wigit
I couldn't resist posting this clip.

The best part of - My Wife is a Gangster where she's getting that makeover.

Man I love this movie so much. "Ah oppa"

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Aww Host has a special place in my collection of horror.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
While I think of it two more great movies are:
-Shiri aka Swiri
- Secret Reunion

Both concern spies and intrigue between north and south Korea. Ok also maybe someone could jog my memory. I watched a movie about two sets border guards north and south who secretly meet and become friends. I think it becomes some sort of incident at the end I can't really remember.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

I think you mean JSA or joint security area.

Secret Reunion is one of my favourites. Kang Dong-won is someone I forgot to put on my A-list. In Secret Reunion he was perfect. He's got great screen charisma and one of my favourite actor voices too, next to Jean Reno. (i'm a voice fan too, haha) The only thing I think he doesn't do very good are the crying scenes, in his other movies.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by wigit
reply to post by FEDec

I think you mean JSA or joint security area.

Yeah that's the one, thanks.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
3-Iron: I am kinda shocked this was left off. It is one of my favorite Korean titles.
edit on 9/8/2011 by OXmanK because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by FEDec
Man I love this movie so much. "Ah oppa"

After watching this movie a few years ago, its still one of the few Korean words I know.
Not really sure when the opportunity would ever arise to use it though...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1
After watching this movie a few years ago, its still one of the few Korean words I know.
Not really sure when the opportunity would ever arise to use it though...

Hah. Well with the economy going the way it is I will probably be "entertaining" Korean businessmen soon enough.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by OXmanK

I'm shocked I left that off the list too. I'll have to make a second list.

Great movie and the two lead characters don't say a word all the way through it. I love the soundtrack too.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I've just found the complete movie SILMIDO with English subs on youtube. I have no idea if it'll stay there or be removed soon, so anyone with an interest in watching a great Korean movie but doesn't normally get the chance should watch it while they can.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
One of the biggest things on Korean TV right now is a 12 part series called Vampire Prosecutor.

Prosecutor Min Tae Yeon (Yun Jung Hoon) is bitten by somebody and becomes a Vampire. Tae Yeon rejects the life of a vampire and he survives by drinking the blood of dead people and still lives as a righteous prosecutor . Tae Yeon also uses his new founded abilities as a Vampire to prosecute powerful persons normally thought above the law. A mysterious case then occurs and the evidence points to a Vampire as the perpetrator. Tae Yeon now knows that he is not the only Vampire. He also ponders why he became a Vampire and what truths may lie behind their motives.

So current that the 12th and final part wont be screened for another 2 days but already fans are putting english subtitles and avi downloads on the net in various places.
I'm only up to episode 4, but I'm already hoping it goes into a second series.

Its a "police procedural" series like CSI, but where the main investigator is a vampire.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Great, thanks for that. I've been looking for a series to watch and didn't know which one to go after. Watched Iris but can't get into City Hunter for some reason. I haven't warmed to the lead bloke yet, I guess, lol.

This sounds perfect.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I love S Korean movies. They're weird. I wonder why hollywood doesn't take a leaf out of their book.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Ambrose169

They just like doing copies,
As more folk get into Korean movies I think there'll be more and more remakes.

I'm kind of insulted for them that Oldboy is being remade but at the same time I'm interested to see what Spike Lee will do with it. However I'm confident they wont beat the original.

I just found a K movie from 2003 called Natural City. It's like a follow up tribute to Bladerunner. Not so good points on the old IMDB but I quite liked it. It stars the guy that played Lee Woo-jin in Oldboy.

New movie Sector 7 wasn't worth a watch though, imo.

Some good ones from 2011 I enjoyed so far, (not sure if they're mentioned already) are

The Front Line,
Children,
Blind,

edit on 18-12-2011 by wigit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I'm glad to see The Host getting a couple of mentions here, it's one of the best monster movies I've ever seen. I've had to buy the DVD twice after loaning it out and not getting it back and I'm going to have to do it again. I supposed it's my own fault for not keeping track of who I give stuff to.

Tidal Wave is another one I really enjoyed; I love a good disaster movie.

I was getting pretty into J-Horror until I discovered South Korean movies (two of my friends taught English there following a stint in Japan and recommended a few to me) and there's really no comparison. A lot of the Japanese movies are just variations on a theme, whereas South Korean stuff is more inventive, more humorous, has better effects and so on.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Amadeo

I felt the same. I though Japanese movies were going to be my new thing a few years back but from the first Korean one I watched I've been thoroughly hooked.

The Host is great from beginning to end but my favourite part has to be the 5-10 minutes just after the daughter is stolen by the beast and they're rounded up into that big hall crying over her photo and rolling all over the ground in grief, and someone's shouting that there's a car parked in the wrong spot outside, then someone falls on their backside trying to organise them, right up to when they put "dad" in the bodybag to carry him off. Sounds bad but you've seen it so you'll know exactly what I mean. Absolutely brilliant and I laugh out loud every time.

edit on 19-12-2011 by wigit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Yes! All the people I know who've seen it (mainly because I banged on about it and then gave them the DVD) talk about that part. It's unusual to see some real comedy like that in a horror movie. I've been expecting Hollywood to remake The Host for a while but they don't seem to have cottoned on to it yet.

Does anyone have any other recommendations? I prefer supernatural horror, monster movies, that kind of thing.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

I'm gonna get on Amazon now and work through the list from your OP. Another one I really enjoyed was Hansel & Gretel --

I could see Tim Burton doing a (less colourful) version of that.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Amadeo

I have a couple of horror movies that I haven't watched yet. Hansel and Gretel, Cinderella. Audition. (not exactly sure yet if that's Jap or Korean, or both).

I've noticed a lot of full movies on youtube lately and wondered why I haven't spotted them before. Press the little CC button on screen for subs on some of them, (in case you didn't know that already. Lol, it took me months to find what was right in front of my nose).

Silmido

Friend

Daisy

Evil Twin

City of Violence

Crossing

I haven't watched Evil Twin yet and I have Crossing to watch tonight. Looks good.

Originally posted by Amadeo
Does anyone have any other recommendations? I prefer supernatural horror, monster movies, that kind of thing.

I've heard Chaw is a mediocre Korean horror about a giant monster pig. Translated, that means it might be very good. I'll have a look for it myself when I get throuth the pile I have.

edit on 20-12-2011 by wigit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Thank you! I'll get cracking on them shortly, once I get the last minute Chrimbo orders in.

(I've also fallen in love with the guy in your avatar
)
edit on 20-12-2011 by Amadeo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join