It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly 40 percent of Europeans suffer mental illness

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
In the UK if you are unemployed and on benefits the easiest way to claim extra benefit money is to:-

1) Visit your local doctor
2) Create a sob story about not having much money
3) Hey presto you're diagnosed with depression
4) You get extra benefit money.

In the UK if you're unemployed and an alcoholic you get extra benefit money to feed your alcoholism.

In the UK if you're unemployed and a drug addict you get extra benefit money to feed your drug addiction.

edit on 5/9/11 by EnigmaAgent because: spelling

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
Mental Illness = Traumatized Non-conformists.
Desired Outcome = Obediant Masses

Wish I could give you 10 stars. But you'll have to settle for thumbs up.

Not that I believe these figures by any stretch of the imagination. But even if it were true. I wonder what drove them all to mental illness? I'll bet any one of you can answer that.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by RedPill

Id say given the apparent state of things depression and anxiety are logical.

You cant fault people for being sad when their pefectly calculated living expenses double or triple over night leaving them unable to afford the loans whos rates were dependant on the previously unshakeable us economy.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by RedPill

The last time I looked there was no shining example of what mentally healthy *is.*

Everyone has a bat in the attic or a skeleton in the closet.

We're all on a spectrum of any number of mental health diagnoses. 'Suffer?' Not much!

Got a temper? Collect stuff? Keep a tidy home? Have an untidy desk? Superstitious? Drive too fast? Eat too much? Eat too little? What about dressing differently?

All of these things can be classed as distinct from the norm and thereby mental illness.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by RedPill

The CDC in the US calculated that over 50% of Americans suffer from mental illness.

I posted a thread earlier in the ABN forum (before it was moved
) about shortages in medications that treat physical illnesses, but there isn't any shortage in antipsychotic meds. In fact, antipsychotics are the highest profiting and most prolifically used type of drug in the US. Use of them has tripled in the past few years and at the rate we are going it will triple again by 2016, meaning the vast majority of Americans will be diagnosed with mental illness.

There is an important and terrible lesson here most people havn't thought of in regards to people diagnosed in Europe or the US as mentally ill.

Eugenics.

Prior to World War II, both the US and Germany maintained eugenics programs. People who were diagnosed as mentally ill lost all civil rights, were sterilized and often locked up for life. In Germany, they went one step further in their concept of "Life unworthy of life", euthanizing and exterminating mentally ill people.

In the US many of our eugenics laws are still on the "books" of many states, they are just no longer enforced. The last sterilization was in 1981 and the Oregon Board of Eugenics was the last body to exist until 1983.

We could during a Great Depression style scenario, find Americans and Europeans subjected to harsh eugenics laws that would sterilize and euthanize the mentally ill. That could potentially lead to the extermination of half the populations of Europe and the US. Its horrifying, but not impossible as it has precedence in the 1930s-1940s.

Welcome to the Grave New World.
edit on 5/9/11 by MikeboydUS because:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
And this is before the DSM 5 has come out? Can you imagine the figures after? This article lead me to do some more reading into the DSM 5 (which is the upcoming edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders for those unaware) and I found this great quote from the doctor shepherding the development of the new edition

"One of the raps against psychiatry is that you and I are the only two people in the U.S. without a psychiatric diagnosis”

Source: en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 5-9-2011 by TheStev because: ATS doesn't like archive.org links, here's the wiki page I originally found the quote on instead

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
aaaw bull manure, most of those 40% comprise of those too stressed or deppressed because our culture is ill. Being depressed atm isn't necisarily a mental illness just a natural psychological copeing mechanism.

As for those with other mental conditions, I've known people with a wide variety of them and they are some of the most amazing people I have ever had the honour to know. There are some truly exceptional individuals sitting in cells drugged up to the eyeballs, in past societies we recognised the positive qualities of the insane and eccentric our culture was enriched by it but these days all we do is patronise them and drug them.

Look at the list of great people who were noticably mentally ill

Winston Churchill

Vincent Van Goegh

Emperor Norton

Ludwig Van Beethoven

Vaclav Nijinsky

to name but a few!

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
reply to post by RedPill

The last time I looked there was no shining example of what mentally healthy *is.*

Everyone has a bat in the attic or a skeleton in the closet.

We're all on a spectrum of any number of mental health diagnoses. 'Suffer?' Not much!

Got a temper? Collect stuff? Keep a tidy home? Have an untidy desk? Superstitious? Drive too fast? Eat too much? Eat too little? What about dressing differently?

All of these things can be classed as distinct from the norm and thereby mental illness.

I definitely agree, they make up disorders for simple variations in personality, I was/am susceptible to pretty rapid mood swings basically anger issues, psychiatrists would call this 'bipolar' and have, then they would say I need this drug, that drug, and all this other nonsense yet how is it that I managed to exponentially decrease my number of mood swings and anger episodes by merely putting a conscience effort into changing.(I was worried all the anger wasn't good for my health nor my relationships I could give a damn what a shrink says).

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by EnigmaAgent

How right you are, all the main points in a nutshell there. Or as my OH says, don't want to work? Go to the DSS and nut yourself off. Crude way of putting maybe, but walk past a Wetherspoons of an afternoon, and goodness me, just look at all those poor, sick people sitting there drinking. Use anything as an excuse to doss about all day.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
i didnt know such things were classed as mental illness.

depression? who hasnt suffered that at one time or another, illness, i dont call the hiccups an illness and that comes and goes....

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Nothing could surprise me less.

Our societies are paranoid rat-races which offer little for the many but years of hard toil and the sacrifice of every dream and soulful aspiration. Our culture is recyclable, poisonous detritus. We have lost all trace of subtlety and grace, and intelligence is in a rapid decline. We make machines out of humans, and the machines make junk and the junk is expensive. And other machines feed on it and turn slowly to junk.

We know nothing but the elephant in the room; and a quiet voice that drags us down on some nights, when we allow the time for thought before bed, whispering that you should be something more, and that you lost a lot along the way, and this whole game stinks to high Heaven.

No surprise at all.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

See I think the DSM is awesome and I believe in psychology/psychiatry however I think that most of the disorders at fairly natural and shouldn't be looked at as mental illness but personality traits.

Real mental illness is pretty apparent when we see it.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
when the percentage of mentally ill people reach 50.1%, they'll miraculously become normal. think sea saw.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA
when the percentage of mentally ill people reach 50.1%, they'll miraculously become normal. think sea saw.

Its already over that in the US and there hasn't been any sea saw.

On the other hand, after the event with Jared Loughner, its been mentioned by government officials and politicians, that mentally ill people need to be registered and tracked at all times as they pose a potential threat to national security.
edit on 5/9/11 by MikeboydUS because: i

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Ill heartily agree with their assessment.
We need to remember that this includes most of the members of cabinet, the potus(always makes think potty)
the congres and the senate.the GOP, the tea party, and the dems.
the joint chiefs the CEOs the Baig bankers and big busines, all skewed in the head...very skewed
Ibet youd be surprised how many of these guys qualify.......................

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

Originally posted by DOADOA

Its already over that in the US and there hasn't been any sea saw.

On the other hand, after the event with Jared Loughner, its been mentioned by government officials and politicians, that mentally ill people need to be registered and tracked at all times as they pose a potential threat to national security.
edit on 5/9/11 by MikeboydUS because: i

its already happened. you do not see that the mentals are tracking the normal?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Could someone please define a "normal" person?

I don't think there are any so-called normal people.

Certainly not psychiatrists!

And psychiatrists diagnose mental illnesses - excuse me - do you want an extreme person diagnosing mental illness?

UM...thinks...thinks...thinks - NO!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
There are pathogens in the environment such as Cordyceps Fungus that are real physical causation. Mental illness can and does affect everyone no matter whether rich or poor the pathogen makes no differensation. It creeps in on a person. Stalking you even. Then when you're off your guard it makes its attack. You do something strange. So you get arrested and held in a psychiatric hospital on a "Section Order". They force you to take medications with out even making one little bit of effort to explain why you must take these medications. You then suffer the indignation of being treated as if you're a retard, even though you know in your self that you're way more intelligent than any of them. In deed my experience is that we are being classified as "mentally ill" simply because we are intelligent in ways that they cannot understand. They actually said so when I was sectioned in 1995. Admittedly I am a certified "Schizophrenic". However, unfortunately the vaste majority of the population have not one little bit of comprehension what that word means. Most people are completely ignorant on the subject. We cannot all be doctors. It takes all sorts to make the world go around. Being a "Schizophrenic" does have its benefits. I would never want to stop being a "Schizophrenic". Here is the reason why.

The law that I live by and which is holding us all bonded is called PRAECEPTAE CAELENIUM (tm). I did not read it in a book. You will not find it in any book. It was revealed to me by audio clairvoyance during the celebrations of the New Millennium in 2000. Summed up it basically means no sex and no drugs and no violence. (1) From eternity to eternity, infinity to infinity, there be the One Absolute. The One True God. Her names are many but she be the one true God there be no other God. The one judge there be no other judge. (2) La Deus Nostra, Notre Dame, Our Lady, The Holy Spirit, the cause the maker Cosmica. (3) Angelic [celestial immortal] powers of truth and beauty and righteousness be sure to be loving Her Holiness Above with all your mind and with all your heart and with all your strength. (4) So as to be pleasing to Her Holiness Above therefore do not be serving the masculine. (5) Do not be and do not allow masculinity into positions of government. (6) Honour and respect the virgin pureness of the christae. (7) Honour and respect the Immaculate Conception [parthenogenesis] reproductive process of the christae. (8) Do not fornicate or adulterate or sodomize. (9) Do not bully or torture or murder. (10) Do not lie. (11) Do not steal. (12) Do not be covetous. (13) Do not be jealous. Copyright (c) NGL 2000.

He who trusts in violence to be his security cannot speak that he trusts in God to be his security.

Being "religious" is often meaning that the "believer" is behaving irrationally and thus insanely. However, that is not always true. I am an example of a religious person who arrived at religion via a fully rational and scientific process. Please read this recommended book. The Holographic Universe. In it the author reports about "Multiple Personality Disorder" which is not the same as "Schizophrenia" even though the ignorant might not be able to understand the difference. Multiple Personality Disorder is far more wide sread than you might imagine it to be. Just having mood swings is the first signs of it. Left untreated it gets to be serious insanity. Addiction to drugs and addiction to alcohol are often the root cause of the problem. Medications can help, but are never going to be able to resolve the root causes of such insanity.

AVE RAEGINA CAELINA LA DEUS NOSTRA CAELI LA VERA DEUS
edit on 6/9/2011 by CAELENIUM because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I've had to watch both my sisters get drugged up.

No thanks.

I think something is going on here that's not right.

Like another guy blurted, it's too easy to blame systemic problems on people. Does that mean I think no one needs medication? No! But I think the establishment got drunk on power.

It doesn't help that people want the easy answer. They want all the bad to go away.

Unfortunately, these problems are much bigger than a $150/month medication bill.

Bigger than a $200/month therapy bill.

Bigger than a $300/month apartment bill or housing bill (for the sufferers).

I'm in this for the long haul, live or die. I gotta do it the hard way.

It's not just my self respect. It's my desire to find a better answer that's more penetrating.

I see, all around me, a quickly changing world. It scares people.

We're running mad through a dark forest. Our answers are improvised.

We respond in different ways. The drugs and therapists are one of the ways.

Just how wrong or right are we? It's hard to know just yet.

May the light of god and/or reason guide you, good sir. The world turns, fast.
edit on 6-9-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

There are two categories of Atheists: Type 1 are those who quietly go about their lives being atheists without you ever knowing. Then there are those who simply can't shut up about it - they can well be lumped into the 40% as they are no more mentally well than evangelical Christians or radical Islamista.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join