It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist response to The Christian National Registry of Atheists.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Many Christians approach science like Einstein (lol though most not nearly close to his brain power) in that they are discovering the laws and ways of God (Seraphim are similar to God as Hands are similar to Human (haha SAT question tossed in for you)).

I definitely agree the institution of the church with strict dogmas is completely wrong as Jesus said that the people are the church not some stupid building.

So their denials are those of man, not breaking the laws of physics/ the universe (aka God's laws).

Look, I was a devout atheist, I even attended Catholic high school, but sometimes you experience things so mysterious and irrational your reality is shaken.

I don't mean to try and convert people to religion by my preaching, I just want historical accuracy.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MasterGemini

So your belief is based on a SUBJECTIVE opinion. That's NOT proof or evidence of anything.

A few years ago a cop called in a "UFO" and said he's "chasing it". He couldn't explain it. Well, turns out others could. He was "chasing" Venus that to him, looked like it was moving because he was driving up a curvy road

Listen to Neil DeGrasse Tyson's "UFO" podcast where he explains the difference between subjective and objective evidence, and why the distinction is so important. The same goes for religion and SUBJECTIVE claims about it

LINK

PS: If you really cared about accuracy you would read up on the theory of evolution instead of making ridiculous "rats turning into cats" statements that only show one thing...that you really haven't read up on the theory...
edit on 6-9-2011 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

So about those of us who are speechless, (almost, not yet though) like me as to the vocal “religious” lunatic fringe? How bout a site that “lists all people who belong to this or that religion”? I see a big problem with any twit drawing up lists of people they don’t like because their crazy, in serious need of therapy/and or a hobby, or just angry with life. It has reached the point where I actually cringe if I hear someone professing their particular faith. God, thats scary, and very sad. Most people who consider themselves “a person of faith” (mine is belief in the dignity of every person, do I count?) are reasonably decent. It’s time “the good Christians, Muslims. Jews, Druids, etc.” spoke out. We can no longer let the nut jobs defame those who wish harm to no one. And let those who are just whack jobs control the agenda. As a human being, people like that embarrass the hell out of me should an ET ask “what about THAT guy”?

edit on 6/9/11 by arbiture because: Ad comment.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by arbiture

Frank Schaeffer (and myself) completely agree with you. We need to stop listening to lunatics...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MasterGemini

Originally posted by UniverSoul
reply to post by Atzil321

i think christians should walk around with a shirt that says 'i believe in imaginary stories'
dillusion is much more dangerous then free thinking

Maybe the Christians should have to wear a patch around their arm so all the Atheists knew who to ostracize?

Hey you could even make them all live in a separate part of town.

Well we all know where your type of logic ends up. . . .

i wasnt exactly being serious im just pointing out the fact that they are more dangerous then atheists

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by UniverSoul

i wasnt exactly being serious im just pointing out the fact that they are more dangerous then atheists

That is your opinion.
edit on 6-9-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
once again manmade belief systems - religion, is being used to try and type cast people.
who are christians to judge others? muslims or buddhists can then also judge christians.
who's religion is more right, or more wrong?
it's my opinion that people hide behind their religion or supposed religion to justify their thought process and feel justified to give their opinion and that because they say it from a religious point of view, people must attach value or truth to it.
every person has their own belief system/standards and each one has another view regarding most matters in the world. they even differ in the extent/manner in which they exercise their religious believes.
so, my question is, because someone sees the big picture of the world and it's events, and that person has adapted his belief system according to what he/she has seen, read and learned, does that make him/her an athiest or just a more informed and rounded person? you really have to live in a bubble to think that because you are a christian, that you are the only one who's right and that it gives you the right to judge others.
if you believe everything the bible contains, then you might as well believe in santa claus and the tooth fairy.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Mcupobob

By not replying to this guy is called being a follower and not a leader... To not stand up for your rights to not believe in a GOD like the majority, is asinine!!!!!!!!

For all you Christians and Catholics out there.... how is it you believe so much in something you havent even studied????? More than 75%of Christians have never read the bible let alone been in church or even sited a scripture... but you have 100% faith... Faith i Fear... Its away of your subconscious allowing you to believe that it WILL BE ALRIGHT.... People have faith the world will 1 day get along, does that make it reality???? The sooner you realize you and I are God, the better..

We have the ability to change tommorrow!!!! HUMANS DO!!!
by simply doing more good than evil everyday...
The more good you do today the less evil will be tommorrow...

READ MY SIGNATURE AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS....

Are we gonna continue to follow Histoy (HIS STORY) or wake up and realize we MAKE HISTORY... If you dont beilieve me, google Best Kings and Empirors of the world.... Get any Black our Asian ones???? Keep digging!!! they came before the White man... Wonder why the only thing associated with Africa is Starvation and Disease???? it is the must furtile and beutiful continent on the planet! We are slowly destroying the truth day by day

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by UniverSoul

I agree with that!!!!!!

Most Atheist only want to obtain Knoledge and Wisdom of everyday life, (not looking for the "one") more along the line of whats the boundries and why... we live in the moment because thats why we are here!!

Christians believe they have it all figured out and just follow everyone else and it will be ok ( "these are not the droids you are looking for!" " yes this are not the droids were looking for" "move it along") If thats the case why is everyday getting worse??? Would a God want to create life to see how bad it can get???

Atheist dont want War, we DO NOT worship Evil!!!! I dont believe in evil myself I believe in balance....
We are no different than Religious people, besides the fact that we still are hungry for knowledge and wisdom.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by lyrc07

I'm not following this guy I'm ignoring(I'm a non-theist myself). He's just some pastor in charge of a fringe group of fundies. You can't reason with people like this its better to ignore him and laugh it off. Now I'll admit thats not always the solution but in this case I think the phase "Don't feed the trolls" fits nicely. Hell I'm pretty sure he doesn't even really believe what he's saying, just trying to abuse his free speech to garner attention and hate. Which he has, and could become a martyr to less extreme Christians, if it gets even more out of hand.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Look, I was a devout atheist

Hmm "devout atheist"

care to define?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Raivan31

Good question...I think if you believe in any kind of all-pervasive, creative conscious entity behind "it all" then you are not an atheist. Earth is just a spinning, warm, wet rock in space colonized by bacteria evolving as we go without any intelligent guidance. All alone except for perhaps other evolved alien visitors--I think that's atheism. I'm not sure what I believe. I was raised with Christian beliefs, but something inside me screams for some kind of proof...Not just a book edited by who knows how many people with who knows what agendas and still open to interpretation because they are still arguing about what some of the words mean. (deep breath, long sentence)

People like the man in the article scare the Hell out of me because you never know who's next on their list. Maybe I would be safe because I was raised Christian...But then maybe I am the wrong denomination, or maybe not "Christian" enough because I disagree with his interpretation. People like that would always be working on a new list of people to purge from their idea of Utopia with an ever-growing set of standards to adhere to.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

I think if you believe in any kind of all-pervasive, creative conscious entity behind "it all" then you are not an atheist. Earth is just a spinning, warm, wet rock in space colonized by bacteria evolving as we go without any intelligent guidance. All alone except for perhaps other evolved alien visitors--I think that's atheism.

To the guy who asked what "devout atheist" meant, this pretty much sums it up to me.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321

He never said Jesus tells people to kill others. He said the bible is full of genocide.
Its also full of other hatred, violence and repression. Here are the 10 worse passages you
may not have heard at sunday school...

No. 1:St Paul’s advice about whether women are allowed to teach men in church:

“I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.” (1 Timothy 2:12)

No. 2: In this verse, Samuel, one of the early leaders of Israel, orders genocide against a neighbouring people:

“This is what the Lord Almighty says... ‘Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’” (1 Samuel 15:3)

No. 3: A command of Moses:

“Do not allow a sorceress to live.” (Exodus 22:18)

No. 4: The ending of Psalm 137, a psalm which was made into a disco calypso hit by Boney M, is often omitted from readings in church:

“Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us – he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.” (Psalm 137:9)

No. 5: Another blood-curdling tale from the Book of Judges, where an Israelite man is trapped in a house by a hostile crowd, and sends out his concubine to placate them:

“So the man took his concubine and sent her outside to them, and they raped her and abused her throughout the night, and at dawn they let her go. At daybreak the woman went back to the house where her master was staying, fell down at the door and lay there until daylight. When her master got up in the morning and opened the door of the house and stepped out to continue on his way, there lay his concubine, fallen in the doorway of the house, with her hands on the threshold. He said to her, ‘Get up; let’s go.’ But there was no answer. Then the man put her on his donkey and set out for home.” (Judges 19:25-28)

No. 6: St Paul condemns homosexuality in the opening chapter of the Book of Romans:

“In the same way also the men, giving up natural intercourse with women, were consumed with passion for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in their own persons the due penalty for their error.” (Romans 1:27)

No. 7: In this story from the Book of Judges, an Israelite leader, Jephthah, makes a rash vow to God, which has to be carried out:

“And Jephthah made a vow to the Lord, and said, ‘If you will give the Ammonites into my hand, then whoever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return victorious from the Ammonites, shall be the Lord’s, to be offered up by me as a burnt-offering.’ Then Jephthah came to his home at Mizpah; and there was his daughter coming out to meet him with timbrels and with dancing. She was his only child; he had no son or daughter except her. When he saw her, he tore his clothes, and said, ‘Alas, my daughter! You have brought me very low; you have become the cause of great trouble to me. For I have opened my mouth to the Lord, and I cannot take back my vow.’” (Judges 11:30-1, 34-5)

No. 8: The Lord is speaking to Abraham in this story where God commands him to sacrifice his son:

‘Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt-offering on one of the mountains that I shall show you.’ (Genesis 22:2)

No. 9: “Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord.” (Ephesians 5:22)

No. 10: “Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)

To what God are you referring to? My God is Jesus, and he preached to love your enemies and your neighbors, to turn the other cheek and to forgive and pray for those who offend you. Jesus does not teach murder as was his commandment "thou shalt not murder". Jesus is God, John the Baptist realized this when he said "in the beginning the were the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God" and he further explains this by saying that Jesus is the Word made flesh, the living Word and that he made the world but was not of the world, he walked amoung his people and they knew him not. Forgiveness is a better way than murder wouldn't you say?

As for women being silent, if only that was enforcible today! I know alot of women that can't stop talking when they should keep silent.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

fear is what compels christians:
fear of the unknown, fear of death, fear of the wrath of god, fear of being seen badly by their community..the list goes on

atheists are compelled by knowledge

what sounds more worrying to you?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

fear of the unknown, fear of death, fear of the wrath of god, fear of being seen badly by their community..the list goes on

Actually, if you ever once read the teachings of Jesus (Yeshua) Christ, you would know that the path of and to Christ is Love......

Not fear........

Please find where Jesus tells people to be compelled by fear rather than love?

You are so lost, I hope you find your way.
edit on 7-9-2011 by MasterGemini because: spelling

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Actually, if you ever once read the teachings of Jesus (Yeshua) Christ, you would know that the path of and to Christ is Love......

Not fear........

The irony here is that on diferent levels you are both right.

Fear leads you to search for answers in religion, which in turn teaches love and peace (hopefully)

So I don't see too much ground between you guys, as it goes...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone
All Atheists do not hold the same beliefs about the Universe and the life in it.
For one, I believe in reincarnation. For another, I believe that life on Earth including humans came from elsewhere in the Universe. How it became what it is, is unimportant. To me evolution is as ridiculous as instant creation.

What I would like to know is:
What exactly is it about being an Atheist that causes such a storm of anger/hate/fear to erupt in Christians? I have seen them literally freeze up and get glassy eyed.

Youre not an atheist then, youre a scientologist. Atheists don't believe in anything other than themselves and what matters in their life, they don't believe in gods or little green men nor do they care to. Scientology is the belief that man came from space, usually from space ships from another world for whatever reason. No, you are not atheist.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shamatt

Not fear........

The irony here is that on diferent levels you are both right.

Fear leads you to search for answers in religion, which in turn teaches love and peace (hopefully)

So I don't see too much ground between you guys, as it goes...

Actually, fear is only part of why some people search for religions. Some people are afraid of death and that there is nothing after this life.

Other people just want to be a part of something that is greater than themselves, and want to find a greater meaning in life, a search for truth about the human condition.

Love isnt something that can be taught, it can only be learned by learning to forgive others and only by forgiving can you truly understand the true meaning of love. Most people mumble "i love you" all the time to family but it is just empty words. Being "in love" is not true love, it is called eros in greek. many people have absolutely no clue what true love is. True love is Jesus Christ, and if you follow his path you will learn more about him and who he is than just going to church every sunday going through the motions of being a christian but not really being a follower of Christ.

See thats the thing, there are many christians who think they know Jesus just because they read the bible or go to church and hear a sermon, but you cannot truly know the Lord until you put yourself in his shoes and walk his path and do his teachings and keep his commandments. Being a true believer is not hanging out with some church clique and having your own personal inner circle, if you do that you cannot be a part of Jesus' inner circle because you go against his teachings and he said "there will be many coming in my name and profess to do my works and performing miracles, but i will say to them depart from me you workers of iniquity for i knew you not" this refers to people who claim to be one of his followers but in truth are not willing to lift a finger to help anyone but themselves and those who teach false donctrines and lies. They proscribe to that lie "God helps those who help themselves" which is not written anywhere in the good book.

If you want to be a true follower of Christ you have to stop doing your will and start doing his will instead, that means giving up your riches and wealth, and becomming a servant of your fellow man, feed the poor, clothe the needy, minster to the sick, visit the dying and those in prison, give drink to those who are thirsty.
edit on 8-9-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-9-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Thank you. But I don't want to be a true follower of Jesus. I live a life of love, respecting those arround me and treating people as well as I can. I have love in my family life and a happy home. I am not afraid to die, I look forwards to the next step of this great adventure we are on. I am a very spiritual person, and have plenty of first hand experinces of my faith in my life to know that my path is the right one for me.

I would never try to argue that an choice made by anyone else was wrong, becasue I am not them, and I don't know. I'll help you look if you ask though. Respect both ways is what I hope for.

I often sound like I should be a Christian, or a Muslim, becasue my beliefs are very much in line with the better teachings from those theologies. Love your neighbour (but not his wife so much...), don't steal stuff from people, don't kill people, respect each other, treat people like you would like to be treated.

Thank the spirits when they favour you, ask for help when you need it, be greatful when it arrives.

Simple stuff. If everyone, Jewish, Muslim or Islamic or anyting else would concentrate as solidly on the love preached in their holy books as they do the hate..... I don't even need to finish that sentence lol

Fear drives people to religion, fear of death, of ostrication, of being alone, left out or unloved.
Fear hold them there - fear of Gods wrath, the loving God who gives you free choice to choose eternal damnation and punishment if you excercise that choice and dissplease him. Fear of what the neighbours might think. In some parts of the US fear of being hounded out of job and home. In some parts of the middle East fear of being wipped, or stoned or beheaded. No one is any better than the other. And while Americans sit and judge the barbarians over there, they sit in judgement of the barbarian Americans. Each one preying to the same God, allbeit in a diferent tounge, and with a different name, asking for victory over the other.

And they call this civilisation.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join