It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist response to The Christian National Registry of Atheists.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
reply to post by MasterGemini

Hitler was a Catholic, he was never excommunicated, he made repeated references to God and Jesus in his writings. Yes its true he had some occult interests as well, that doesn't negate the point I was making.

My point was merely that it would be unwise to blame his religiosity for his crimes, just as it would be unwise to claim a lack of religiosity let to Communist atrocities. I don't think Hitler's Christianity is responsible for what he did, I think he was a sociopath with no moral compass and people like that come in all shapes and religions, from Christian to atheist and beyond.

He also claimed to have met the Anti-Christ.

He did not practice Christianity and you know this-----> NOT a Christian.

The Roman Catholic Church is essentially the same pagan hermetic magic thanks to Constantines' creation of it.

If you want to make such loose associations then yes it is only easier to connect communists in USSR China and Cambodia to Atheism.

People act on their beliefs and you only have to look at the actions and the teachings to know who is of what religion and who is a FALSE practitioner.
edit on 5-9-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

That's a No true Scotsman fallacy but I'll let it slide as I really don't want to get caught up in yet another pointless Hitler discussion on this topic. The point I was making was entirely valid, we can't smear entire groups based on what individual members of those groups (who happened to be in power) did. We can agree to disagree on whether Hitler was actually a Christian or not, even the very definition of the word Christian is fairly nebulous.

People act on their beliefs

You have a point there, but then it depends on how hard they believe and what they believe as to whether those beliefs could be dangerous.
edit on 5-9-2011 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

In the opening chapter of Mein Kampf, Hitler clearly states he believes he is 'doing gods work and executing god's will'. Care to explain that one?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
For the record I'm going to say something in this thread that may shock a few people. Are you ready, you might want to hold on to something ?
Some Christians, yes even Pasteurs, just seem to get to a point, that they obviously need the crap slapped out of them. To remind them of whom they represent. That's all I have to say to this.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321

In the opening chapter of Mein Kampf, Hitler clearly states he believes he is 'doing gods work and executing god's will'. Care to explain that one?

Which god? Did you ever ask that one?

I already pointed out the interests of the man, go see what god means in the OTO, Golden Dawn, Thule Society.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

You have a point there, but then it depends on how hard they believe and what they believe as to whether those beliefs could be dangerous.
edit on 5-9-2011 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

Show me where Jesus (Yeshua in the Koran) Christ tells people to go to war and kill others?

Your enmity is very misplaced.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MasterGemini

I already pointed out the interests of the man, go see what god means in the OTO, Golden Dawn, Thule Society.

Okay, forget Hitler, forget comparing Atheists to communists.

Here you go.

Silence.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Jesus doesn't. But Yahweh does (Old Testament God), Yahweh condones slavery and commands genocide on a regular basis. But most Christians don't pay much attention to those passages anyway, which is definitely for the best.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by MasterGemini

Okay, forget Hitler, forget comparing Atheists to communists.

Here you go.

Silence.

See my above post regarding the teachings of Yeshua.

Peace, Love, don't see much about hitting children?

Oh thats right! Free will! People are deciding to do these things not God.

Always attacking religious for their beliefs and blaming their God for the actions of the individual who was created with the free will to act against the wishes of their creator.

Oh and you and I are made of earth and dirty (where did that food that we eat come from?) just ask Carl Sagan.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Here is a link to many references Hitler made about god in mien kamphe. Just by taking a quick look through them makes it clear he is talking about the christian god. I wish you would stop going so off topic with the original thread though, its becoming silly.
atheism.about.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Explain how you are free to blame Communism on Atheism, but when something relating to Religion is brought up it is suddenly out of context.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

The great Carl Sagan was an outspoken pantheist, I also consider myself pantheist,
we don't believe in the supernatural, so its odd for you to use the man in your religious arguments.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Explain how you are free to blame Communism on Atheism, but when something relating to Religion is brought up it is suddenly out of context.

Atheism and religion
atheism.about.com...

But weren't a lot of people killed because they were Christian? Certainly — but not simply because they were Christian. Communists typically regarded religious organizations as a hinderance towards the creation of a worker's paradise. Some religious groups also opposed the communists. Once again, we are generally looking at political issues, not a question of atheism.

They believe that the ends justify the means. No sin, no punishment, poor moral upbringing.

Creating Heaven on Earth apparently required the slaughter of the religious because they get in the way.

Selfish or psychotic?
edit on 5-9-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hessling
"...Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life."

Revelations 22:17

Okay, I'm a Christian. A Christian with lots of friends, and beloved relatives, who are atheists. Seems to me that their spiritual decisions should be based upon whatever they hold dear. Not what I, or anyone else believes to be true.

If they choose not to believe, that's fine by me. If they are an atheist who genuinely treats their fellow man with kindness and concern then I downright salute them and their ethics.

The idea of keeping a "No Fly" list, so to speak, of non-believers is sick beyond measure.

It's their decision. I'll still call them friend, brother, sister and so forth.

And if you try to harm them, based upon what you believe is correct due to your personal set of beliefs, then I will stand by their side and defend them.

Since you're a Christian, wouldn't you want to do whatever you could so you will see your friends and beloved relatives in Heaven? We will have to account for all of those around us with whom we had a chance to lead to Christ, but did not.

Matthew 9:10-13(KJV)
10And it came to pass, as Jesus sat at meat in the house, behold, many publicans and sinners came and sat down with him and his disciples.
11And when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples, Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?
12But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.
13But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

We are supposed to follow Jesus' example, are we not?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

But most atheists don't want to exterminate the religious, just like most religious folks don't want to exterminate anyone. Most people in general don't want anyone exterminating anyone else. So coming into this thread and derailing it into a discussion on Communism's tenuous-at-best relationship to atheism was pointless and irrelevant. Congrats you've derailed a thread and wasted everyone's time

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

But most atheists don't want to exterminate the religious, just like most religious folks don't want to exterminate anyone. Most people in general don't want anyone exterminating anyone else. So coming into this thread and derailing it into a discussion on Communism's tenuous-at-best relationship to atheism was pointless and irrelevant. Congrats you've derailed a thread and wasted everyone's time

I think it was entirely relevant as it covers the topics of rounding people up, religion and atheism.

Sorry I derailed it from a "Hey lets all get together and bash religion" thread by pointing out out the ultimate result of said type of behaviors.

The truth is that some people want to inflict harm on others and too often religion gets blamed when the actions don't match words.

Stop blaming teachings you clearly are not familiar with for the actions of people claiming to follow them.
(How would you know if you are not literate in their word?)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Well I guess this guy just made himself a new entry on that list they have of religious extremists. Alongside with terrorists etc. Oh the irony

edit on 5/9/2011 by PsykoOps because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Does not matter the teachings. Organized religion is a vehicle that wields power and influence. It needs to be kept in check more so than government. Because it is far more dangerous.

Is there organized atheism? And what are the consequences of this organization? There are several examples for religious groups...

Edit:

You listed examples. On that, your point is clear. Understood. Good thing the West went after the Commies right?

edit on 5-9-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-9-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

The truth is that some people want to inflict harm on others and too often religion gets blamed when the actions don't match words.

Stop blaming teachings you clearly are not familiar with for the actions of people claiming to follow them.
(How would you know if you are not literate in their word?)

You chose to be a part of something. Religious groups have a number of crazy nutcases representing them. ie. Politically.

Do you know what representation means? These leaders are speaking on the behalf of religious followers all over the world. Sorry if somehow you don't want to associate yourself with the bad ones...

Keep your people in check next time...

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Except for the years I spent as a Bible believing "born again" Christian attending a Pentecostal church. I'm more than familiar with the teachings, the issue is that they are interpreted so many different ways. For some reason many Christians ignore certain teachings, from the unpleasant (stone a woman who is not a virgin on her wedding night Deuteronomy 22) to the more peaceful sound moral advice (do not judge lest ye be judged). If I hadn't been raised a Christian I likely never would have become an atheist.

That being said I do apologize, you're right that it is at least partially on topic, however your original reply did just seem an indictment of atheism based on the extremism of a few Communist regimes that happened to be atheistic.

Now I suggest we stop this pointless back and forth and get back to the topic at hand, that suggesting a national registry of atheists is absolute madness akin to proposing a national registry of gays or Jews.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join