It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heckle the president - get fired - get threatened...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   

I'd love to put more stickers on my car as a tool of expression, but this dingaling I call boss wouldn't approve of them.
So, did your boss BUY your car? Is he making the payments himself? Why would you not be able to express yourself? Im sorry, but there is no reason on earth why you could not put bumperstickers on your car if YOU make the payments.
I will not talk about my views openly at work but if PROVOKED I will tell them ALL exactly how i feel about Dubya. They know this much, I couldnt work a month ago on a Saturday because I was going to see F911.

And if your boss happens to bring up the subject all you simply have to say is you dont care to discuss the issue because you do not have the same views and opinions he has- then talk about the wheather. Its that simple.

I know i could never PRETEND to like something just so as not to make any waves. As long as you're your own person, whats the problem?

Whoopie Goldberg was under contract with slim fast- however, she gave her schpiel while at ANOTHER function.
If Whoopie had been promoting Slim-fast at the moment I would say she screwed up. She was not.
Where do you draw the line?

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
So, did your boss BUY your car? Is he making the payments himself? Why would you not be able to express yourself? Im sorry, but there is no reason on earth why you could not put bumperstickers on your car if YOU make the payments.

I could put any sticker on my car, but I'd like to stay employed while keeping things friendly. These things change when you're the only employee. He never asks my opinion on political subjects, and I never give him my opinion. It's simple and effective.

He represents many things that I don't agree with, but I'm not willing to sacrifice my security just to set him straight. He's not worth it. As long as he pays me, I'll continue to watch his demonstrations of ignorance while keeping comments to myself!

Edited to add: I have a back window full of stickers from various musical artists. My previous car had a back window covered in Marilyn Manson stickers. My boss didn't really like those, and he asked what the current 'creature' is on my back window. But Anti-Bush stickers would likely set him off on a murderous rampage. He may kill small animals. I'm sure you can understand.

[edit on 8/23/2004 by Bangin]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
the guy was heckling....impeding the presidents right to free speech...

why would anyone want to encourage people to impede the freedom of speech?

if the guy has something to say he can find a podium somewhere and "speak" all he wants...he has that right...he does not have the right to keep someone else from doing the same....

[edit on 23-8-2004 by Creepy]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Bangin, I know what you mean. If i see any road kill, I'll know you spoke up.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
he was fired from his $35,000-a-year job as a graphic designer.

Oh man, that company is so totally going to get their butt sued off.

And they are going to completely deserve it, thats an inexcusable act of sheer idiocy.

As far as it reflecting on this being a "free Society', well, it has nothing to do with it.

This was just some company, doing something incredibly stupid, but its not like the government did this. And in all likelyhood this guy is going to be able to sue this company, sue them -through- the governments law courts.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   
A client giving tickets for a PARTISAN POLITICAL RALLLY and the employer passing them on is so LOADED. The client and employer should have handed them out at arms length, anything else, such as expectations of behaviour, is coercion and indoctrination. It is like giving someone a job expecting sexual favors. It is immoral. It is the American historical norm that politicians should be ready to hear dissent from the crowds they choose to address. Is GW Bush too weak and sensitive to handle this? If that is the case, GW can go be a dictator in Iraq, America is still a free society.

To fire an employee for what they did off the job is an invasion of privacy and free speech. This did NOT happen in a workplace setting and the employer has no ethical right to do anything about it.

I can't speak to the legality of it, but it is unethical.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
So much for the "free society" where everyone can speak their mind ...

How utterly pathetic. This is what happens to cowards who can't deal with any disagreement. They shut you down. For a time, anyway.

That guy is better off working somewhere else for non-FASCISTS.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Come on dude, SUE! And I am not talking about a woman's name. This guy should sue his former employer. Then sue the GOP. Why? He heckles them, then he gets fired. They may not have had anything to do with it but he could make a case. Also a civil suit for degrading his name. He now has to try to find a job with the fact of being fired. It doesn't matter why he was fired just that he was fired. A company will look more than once at someone who was fired.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
The ability to do that depends on what state you're in. Besides, you can't sue if you don't have the jack. He'd probably do better to write a letter to the editor or editorial for some papers.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
And they are going to completely deserve it, thats an inexcusable act of sheer idiocy.
As far as it reflecting on this being a "free Society', well, it has nothing to do with it.

As I said in an above post an Employer can fire you for any reason or no reason. As long as they do not do it in a discriminatory manner. Even a single violation of company policy is grounds for termination. Im not saying its right for the company to hae fired the guy far from it, but if he was representing his company he should have been more aware of his actions. If the company came out and said, were fireing you because you will vote for Kerry, then he may may have a case. But if they fired him for any other reason, like he took a pen home or he was late, he has none. Lets face it, very few of us follow the rules to the letter and are targets for this type of retribution.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   

.We've now seen stars lose their job over some "unsavory" comments.

What happened America?
Did you lose your sense of humor?
Is this what we've come to?
Somebody shoot me please.
Remember how it used to be?

isnt that Sum 41 on the "Rock Against Bush" Vol. I album?? they said that in the album, and theyre still playing on MTV

[edit on 8/24/2004 by s13guy]

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
NOt to get off topic, but what about the couple that was arrestead for tresspassing when they wore "Anti-Bush" T-shirts to one of his rallies.?

Anyone heard anything new 'bout that?

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   

I hadnt heard but im not surprised. You are not free anymore to go out in public at all wearing something anti-Bush.
This offends people now.
Bush is too weak and too sensitive to put up with any of it. Must be the new meds.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Bush is too weak and too sensitive to put up with any of it. Must be the new meds.

Well, his name (Bush) really does say it all, dosen't it?

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by thethrall_nb

Well, his name (Bush) really does say it all, dosen't it?

It sure doesnt help, does it!!!!!

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
At least he doesn't have people offed like Clinton did

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

Please elaborate on this .... Just WHAT makes you think he hasn't had people "offed"???

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by thethrall_nb

Originally posted by American Mad Man

Please elaborate on this .... Just WHAT makes you think he hasn't had people "offed"???
It must be a good word. Clinton was a SUPER president

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join