It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado School Comes Under Fire for Hanging Saudi Flag Higher Than American Flag

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bobbob
One word.

Petty.

If all you have to worry about is a piece of cloth, when every other day of your life you let the constitution just be trampled over.

Why do you care about the piece of cloth when you don't care about the constitution?

Now, back to your cubicle and get back to work and pay your bills.

edit on 5-9-2011 by Bobbob because: (no reason given)

AMEN to that! I agree. It's the Constitution that is more important than a colored cloth and green paper (money).

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by WXBackdoor
People are ready to die for this piece of cloth...

I don't even know what age are we living in.

TO ME caring about a piece of cloth this much is medieval behavior.

EXACTLY. Aha, humans are so pathetic, IT IS pathetic. Seriously, all this b.s. over a "flag", it's like this dumb race doesn't have anything better to do. And when I think about it, humans don't.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
I agree with the OP and a few others, It is NOT JUST a piece of cloth, it symbolizes my country, the country I am PROUD to be citizen of, it represents those who have died protecting and serving it, and those STILL serving it. It represents those thast still love this country and the isdeals it once stood for before tTPTB started destroying it
I can understand the attitudes of people from around the world, but fellow Americans, you should be ASHAMED of yourselves, calling it 'just a piece of cloth'

Lastly, if it was SO BAD here, why are people STILL trying to immigrate here, legally and illegally????

People who immigrate here don't know that it can end up bad, or not as good as expected. Trust ME. And the flag symbolizes all of that because people say it does. That's why. What really symbolizes everything you have stated is the people and/or governemt. A flag is a flag. Only because people have grown up with other people telling them that the flag is EVERYTHING, and its a symbol for everything doesn't mean its worth getting so mad over and even kill other people, too.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
reply to post by Bobbob

I've let nothing of the sort happen, but I agree with your sentiment about how the Constitution is being shredded.

My flag isn't petty my friend.

A flag is just a symbol and as George Carlin said "I leave symbols to the symbol minded"

PC is killing the country...

I try not to get into the pettiness of symbols...Yes, our country has a flag...Every country does... A piece of cloth that has different colors and shapes on it... Just so people can see.... This is OUR land...Not yours....Yeah, it is petty....

We have attached all kinds of feelings and sentiments to it.But how about we attach our feelings, to the country itself.... Instead of just a simple piece of fabric?

People get upset when a flag is burned.... Hey, The United States burns our own flags.... and one could argue... that the US government is worse for the people than other countries...so... why get bent out of shape when some guy from the middle east does it?

It's just a piece of cloth that we have tied all this meaning to... When all it really means is... " This is our land now. We stole it and it is ours"....

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
It's just a piece of cloth that we have tied all this meaning to... When all it really means is... " This is our land now. We stole it and it is ours"....

Your comment on flags reminded me of this skit.

NSFW - Language
Flags

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Shamatt

If flags aren't important symbols, why do you think Muslims keep buring US and Isreali flags, uh?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by loOranks
reply to post by Shamatt

If flags aren't important symbols, why do you think Muslims keep buring US and Isreali flags, uh?

That is the dumbest question ever. I know I'll get flamed if I don't explain that..

So reluctanlty

Becasue they are as dumb as you are.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
To those stating it's just a piece of cloth...no, it isn't.

Americans don't swear allegiance just to a piece of cloth...but "to the Republic, for which it stands".

There are federal laws covering the display of the flag (as there are in many nations), and quite simply, they screwed the pooch on this one.

They did exactly what they should have done though...apologized, and corrected the problem.

It was likely a stupid mistake though, not a deliberate statement, so no need to get so up in arms about it.It was dumb, they fixed it, we should move on. Thank goodness they didn't do this days later (9/11)....

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
It may not seem that important (hanging the right cloth, in right order/hieght), but these little things are symbols of what America is.

My wife was a teacher at a new school where the principal (who was an assistant principal for over a decade) didn't know if she wanted to institute the pledge of allegiance because it might offend someone. My wife convinced her that the school was located in America.

Over the last couple decades we have removed manditory community service from high school, thrown away the pledge, and trampled the flag as a symbol. It doesn't compare to what are "leaders" have done, but we as Americans haven't helped much either.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I'm enjoying listening to how “political correctness is ripping this country apart” while hanging the Saudi flag above the American flag is probably the least politically correct thing you could do. Why don't you blame it on the stupidity of one man or a small group of men rather than paint entire groups with a brush.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bobbob
So go practice your belief system in your own home, not in public.

What is banned in public, is eventually banned in private. Also, here is my own flag, for the record.

edit on 6-9-2011 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Come on guys, yes it may be disrespectful to the American flag, but if Bauder didn't do that, someone from Saudi Arabia would get butthurt about us not "respecting" them because they're from another country and blah blah blah.
No, I'm not saying we should do this all the time, but you've gotta see both sides of this.

Plus, this shouldn't even be big news. What should have been big news is when they were going to close Lopez Elementary in my neighborhood for a "bad-kids" highschool. The kind of kids that are in gangs, rob people, and are criminals. In a neighborhood for goodness sakes. Or the fact that we have a house near Lopez Elementary full of sex offenders and pedofiles that isn't even protected in anyway. The people in that house can literally leave at any moment in time and walk 5 minutes to the elementary school, and you guys are worried about Bauder showing that they care about their students from another country?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
They did exactly what they should have done though...apologized, and corrected the problem.

It was likely a stupid mistake though, not a deliberate statement, so no need to get so up in arms about it.It was dumb, they fixed it, we should move on. Thank goodness they didn't do this days later (9/11)....

I agree. The principal at Bauder apologized and fixed it. It's time to move on.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by loOranks
reply to post by Shamatt

Uhhh because it insults a lot of stupid Americans who go nuts when someone...who should know that a flag is just a piece of cloth.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

For the Alliance!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
To those stating it's just a piece of cloth...no, it isn't.

Americans don't swear allegiance just to a piece of cloth...but "to the Republic, for which it stands".

There are federal laws covering the display of the flag (as there are in many nations), and quite simply, they screwed the pooch on this one.

It sure is a piece of cloth. It's a piece of cloth that I've wiped my feet on, spit on, and burned. You might think these things make me un-American, but I would counter that these things make me more American. The only flag that matters at all, is the one you carry around inside you. So long as you are loyal to your country (not necessarily your government), you're not disrespecting anything. Flags are icons, symbols, they aren't real.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Did you even read the article before replying to the thread? Here let me quote from you to show it was on purpose:

He explained that other flags are posted around the school to recognize the
nationalities of students from other countries

Don't get me wrong it's nice to recognize that you have students from other countries but always respect thy self first.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Reading all these posts, I can't help but think of this quote I've read in the past..."If Fascism comes to America, it will come wrapped in the flag, waving the cross, and preaching free markets." (trans. economic imperialism.)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
The main thing i'm getting out of this is.. that kids were learning about other nations.. for the people that went to the school. That by mistake. someone hung the flags improperly. And that it was apologised for, because in reality, it wasn't a big deal. i don't know about what they teach kids in the U.S. but in Australia we learnt about other cultures and countries. Flags.. food days.. dressing up.. all sorts of things. So.. this school, is teaching your kids to be more tolerant and educated, and all I have seen (well not all but a lot)on this thread is a great deal of intolerance and sillyness! Who cares! it's a kids school! They are trying to teach kids GOOD things. Tolerance, education, other cultures. Yes, someone may have screwed up slightly, but the reaction on this site of all sites, is out of control. Get a mirror and take a long hard look at yourself and think that you are talking about kids learning about other countries. Maybe if more tolerance and education about other cultures/countries was taught to MORE U.S. schools, you would stop making war with everyone all the dang time! I am horrified to see how... intolerant people on this site who should be more open minded are being about a simple mistake made in a kids school. Honestly.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

See the picture here.

Stupid Non-story. This wasn't on a flag pole. This was a flag in a hallway. If you look at the pic you can see 3 flag mountings, 2 occupied and one (with the American Flag) BENT downward...not intentionally hung lower.

Some kid yanked on it, likely to take the picture.

But what the heck...lets spin up an article and see what kind of xenophobic tensions can be stoked.

www.opposingviews.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join