It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harmless soil-dwelling bacteria successfully kill cancer

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Good news everyone! In contrast to Prof. Farnsworth in Futurama, this really is good news. According to the article, it seems they had to go through some hard battles to get this treatment to the stage of clinical trials, which comes as no surprise. But what will happen after that? Is this the first and the last time we will ever hear of this treatment? A treatment according to Professor Minton that will kill all types of tumor cell?

A bacterial strain that specifically targets tumours could soon be used as a vehicle to deliver drugs in frontline cancer therapy. The strain is expected to be tested in cancer patients in 2013 says a scientist at the Society for General Microbiology's Autumn Conference at the University of York.

A fundamental requirement for any new cancer therapy is the ability to target cancer cells while excluding healthy cells. Professor Nigel Minton, who is leading the research, explains how this therapy naturally fulfils this need. "Clostridia are an ancient group of bacteria that evolved on the planet before it had an oxygen-rich atmosphere and so they thrive in low oxygen conditions. When Clostridia spores are injected into a cancer patient, they will only grow in oxygen-depleted environments, i.e. the centre of solid tumours. This is a totally natural phenomenon, which requires no fundamental alterations and is exquisitely specific. We can exploit this specificity to kill tumour cells but leave healthy tissue unscathed," he said.

"This therapy will kill all types of tumour cell. The treatment is superior to a surgical procedure, especially for patients at high risk or with difficult tumour locations," explained Professor Minton.

Source: Harmless soil-dwelling bacteria successfully kill cancer

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Wow, gotta hope that someone will make it a mainstream treatment before big pharmacy 'kills off' the competition. My bet is it won't make it as cancer is too profitable for the companies to charge the patient over many years rather than curing it as a one off.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
When I see the name Clostridia I get a shiver as I was almost killed by the C. defficile strain. It would be nice if this is real and the population is "allowed" to have access to it. It seems like every cancer cure that's come along for most of the last century quickly disappears never to be heard from again. Of course that's what happens when the medical industry is motivated by profit and not the mission of healing. Why cure when you can keep someone indefinitely ill, dependent on poisons that cause more illness, more poison pills and a long, slow torturous death resulting in full extraction of all moneys from the patient?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Wow, this sounds amazing. Let us hope it does indeed go mainstream.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

yeah this wont go far..
i have no doubt that we would have known a cure for most cancers decades ago
just like aids and many other 'incurable' diseases

medicine should not be governed by money!

please people, think before you take. if its not 100% necessary say no because most of the time you can do without them

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Great findings. But what happens when the have consumed whats edible of the tumour? And since its bacteria it would reproduce very fast with all that tasty tumour sitting in front of them. Couldn't that be equally as dangerous? First you had a tumour, but then your brain infection ate it away haha.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by asperetty

Good question.

My guess is that the bacteria would perish, because there wouldn't be any tumor cells left for them to nibble on. That would be my guess, considering the bacteria only grow in oxygen-depleted environments.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by BigBruddah

Yeah. And how about that, mother nature supplies the medicine. Not some scientist in a lab creating synthetic drugs that will cause life threatening or dangerous side effects.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

yeah but then you have a mass of decomposing bacteria in you brain - that was my point. that doesn't sound healthy.
edit on 5-9-2011 by asperetty because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

The bacteria doesn't kill cancer, it targets cancer. They want to use the bacteria as a drug delivery system is how I am reading this. So yes the scientists in the lab with their synthetics are still very much in use in this treatment.

edit on 5-9-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Interesting article, F+S even though we all know this treatment is going to go nowhere because big pharma wants to keep us all slaves to their half assed chemo treatments. Theres just more money in treating a disease than curing it. Not to mention the earth is going to get pretty damn crowded if people stop dropping like flies.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Hopefully there are people that realize the "AMA" religion exists to support legalized drugs.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

I guess we can add this to the list of cancer cures that will be withheld from the public.

Cancer is DEAD: Cancer cures from A to Z

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
See??
Eating dirt really IS good for you!!

All joking aside, I really really really hope this doesn't get brushed under the rug with all the other potentials and cures

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by UniverSoul
reply to post by Droogie

medicine should not be governed by money!

Man, you said it right there.

Medicine is suppose to be there to get people back on their feet and go back to work.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

do you know how synthetic cancer drugs even work?
they are a very complex compound that you body cant process so your body releases other chemicals, and those are the chemicals that actually heal.I personally dont believe the bacteria
can survive if integrated with a poison

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by supergod

What?
I just used those specific words because the person I was replying to used them. It's not relevant to me in the sense that you seem to think.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Wow.

But I think I'll just lick my fingers while I garden. ...I really don't understand why 'they' have to complicate the process with drugs and needles and stuff. Looks to me like Mother Nature already has it handled.

S&F&

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by BigBruddah

Did you read the article about the FDA attacking a Walnut retailer because they had "Contains Omega 3 Fatty Acids, which have been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease and some types of cancers" on the bag? Article is here.
www.dailymail.co.uk...
There are many similar articles around the net, this one slams the FDA
Next they will tell us Cheerios are drugs, and you will see them being peddled on street corners in East Los Angeles.
edit on 9/6/2011 by smarterthanyou because: typo, new keyboard!!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by Droogie

The bacteria doesn't kill cancer, it targets cancer.

The headline and text say "Harmless soil-dwelling bacteria successfully kill cancer."

They want to use the bacteria as a drug delivery system is how I am reading this. So yes the scientists in the lab with their synthetics are still very much in use in this treatment.

Redundant - and more likely to mess up the miracle than improve it, imho.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join