It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USPS to default on $5.5 billion on pensions by the end of the month

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Mental giants don't get that free communication is the achievement which enabled them to be so "efficient".
Now they want to prove that it was their egoistic excellence only that mattered.
I see nothing "mentally giant" in such limited, parasitic attitude.
The very electronic communication that now took over classical postal service is part of the same idea.
If anything goes wrong with electronics, I'll see you riding horses again to deliver your 3.000 e-mails per day.
Classical postal service is an accumulation of social experience of communication over 2.500 years old. It was invented by Persian Empire and a thing which made free communication a backbone of prosperous society.
Now, it seems there's too many geniuses who believe that profiteering (which destroys the idea of communication) is going to really keep their inflated egos afloat in a miserly simulation of egoistic society.
Once this monopoly of free (symbolically cheap) communication is utterly defeated, the price of e-mailing will go up and suckle your own savings in a very painful way. You'll be paying blood to the communication network.
And in the same way healthcare has been transformed into a mandatory leaching of patients, just like it was customary to bleed people as in universal cure to all diseases some hundreds years ago...

edit on 5-9-2011 by DangerDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Here we have 2 post offices 6 blocka apart. 2 zipcodes and for what reason. They finally moved all the truck loading to the new and bigger office but both are still full service. Makes no sense what so ever but getting 35 sale fliers from Comcast at a time doesn't either.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
The post office has never made money on first class mail. Their money is made on bulk mail and parcel post.

Some of you seem not to be understanding of this. So to was I not understanding until my letter carrier Dad clued me in.

It seems that even in bulk mail and paracel post..they cannot manage to turn a profit. They have issues.

Payments due exceeds accounts reveived. Just like most of the Federal Government.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DangerDeath
Mental giants don't get that free communication is the achievement which enabled them to be so "efficient".
Now they want to prove that it was their egoistic excellence only that mattered.
I see nothing "mentally giant" in such limited, parasitic attitude.
The very electronic communication that now took over classical postal service is part of the same idea.
If anything goes wrong with electronics, I'll see you riding horses again to deliver your 3.000 e-mails per day.
Classical postal service is an accumulation of social experience of communication over 2.500 years old. It was invented by Persian Empire and a thing which made free communication a backbone of prosperous society.
Now, it seems there's too many geniuses who believe that profiteering (which destroys the idea of communication) is going to really keep their inflated egos afloat in a miserly simulation of egoistic society.
Once this monopoly of free (symbolically cheap) communication is utterly defeated, the price of e-mailing will go up and suckle your own savings in a very painful way. You'll be paying blood to the communication network.
And in the same way healthcare has been transformed into a mandatory leaching of patients, just like it was customary to bleed people as in universal cure to all diseases some hundreds years ago...

edit on 5-9-2011 by DangerDeath because: (no reason given)

LOL. You said absolutly nothing!!
But I agree with you completely. Does your ego feel better now that you are right?? Ok now, get off my leg.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
The post office has never made money on first class mail. Their money is made on bulk mail and parcel post.

Some of you seem not to be understanding of this. So to was I not understanding until my letter carrier Dad clued me in.

It seems that even in bulk mail and paracel post..they cannot manage to turn a profit. They have issues.

Payments due exceeds accounts reveived. Just like most of the Federal Government.

Thanks,
Orangetom

I feel bad for your Dad. Hes out there busting his ass, doing his job daily, like a freakin soldier...and some numbskull in accounting cant "cost factor" a stamp to turn a profit.

That is why the post office is so needed. because they are stupid at the top, and they are so dumb that they operate at a NEGATIVE CASH FLOW BASIS.

Some here are so not understanding this issue, but that does not surprise me. fact is. The post office is failing because they basically operate for less than free. They have to spend money to stay in business. THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR A GOVERNMENT FACILITY. it is a bleeding hog, needed to slaughter, and you idiots here that think it is good, are part of the reason we are broke. Because you would rather operate at a loss in life.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MentalGiant

You will see how it works when you have to pay mandatory 15.000 for internet per year, just like what they're doing with healthcare now. There are smarter guys than you and you'll have to admire them, even though they bite off your leg so you have to hire their wheel chair to move around.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MentalGiant

That is a pretty big over-generalization you put at the end of your comment. You are apparently in business, so that statement cannot be exactly true. The government will enforce contracts for you, in your business dealings. I suppose if you think government hasn't done anything for you, try an extremely free market place. You would be scammed and hustled out of those that do business with you, and you would have no recourse but to stomp and pout. So you cannot say government has done nothing for you while operating a business for yourself. They create the responsible business climate that allows you not to be scammed as often as you might. The government accomplishes this by arrests, fines, and closing down bad business owners. The result is less bad business operating with you.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Focus, people, focus. Question. Questions riccochet. Questions.

Qui bono? Who gets well? Who takes big companies to market? Investment banks. Who gets government bailouts? Investment banks. Who gets record (taxpayer-funded) bonuses? Who is doing better than ever while every other industry -- EVERY other industry -- goes to hell? Investment banks. The USPS is a big big whale thrown to greedy greedy sharks, they can feast on it for some time! To their heart's content? Who is likely to oversee the slicing and dicing of massive, bailed out pension-funds? Banksters. bankstersbankstersbanksters. Who are the banksters? Do your reaserch. And you will be surprised what a small world it is. So very very small...and so far reaching. Who stands with hands clasped behind back gazing from office tower plate-glass and playing mathematical games with millions of lives? Study history. Concentrate people, come on this is serious!!!!!

edit on 5-9-2011 by Partygirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

You forgot to add, 'who runs the American government' banksters, people still thinks that America is run by the people for the people but that is very far from the truth, the JP Morgans and Goldman Sach runs America.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I have this odd routine...
I check the mail,
Theres a bill,
I get in my car,
I drive to place bill is from,
Get out of car,
Walk inside,
.wait for it..
And pay my bill

I refuse to own a plastic card from a bank. Period. I refuse to pay online. Period.

I do not support banks personally, Bank of whoever can kiss my butt. I also use usps. And im 29.. Thats not to old is it?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
USPS is a service provided by the government, it's not suppose to make money, it's suppose to provide affordable communications. How many people would honestly pay $200+ just to deliver a postcard to someone in Alaska, or $10+ to someone across the country.

A lot of government services are provided for free, simply because they are non profit. The federal government is not a business, if it was, there would be no need for taxes.

Can you image if the government was run like a business!? Everytime you wanted to use a road you would need to sign a contract stipulating where you were going, how much your transportation weighed, the exact route, any deviations, and how fast you were planning on traveling. And after all that, you would pay upfront to use the interstate. Now of course that doesn't include any "Holiday" fees or prime time traveling fees during rush hour.

There are good agencies, and then there are bad agencies, and USPS is one of the few good ones. They might be bloated, but then so is pretty much every agency/business that has more than 15 employees.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
If the postal workers ever lose their pensions, then they BETTER all go POSTAL about it!!!

No pun intended...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Why does it seem that every very large business that gets in financial Trouble ie Big Three, Steel Companies, USPS that employ a lot of people all got in trouble for the same things.....Pensions and Retiree Health Care costs. They promised too much to retiree's..... and now the S has hit the fan. Same things on the horizon with Local State and other Federal Government employees too probably. Take a look at how underfunded some pensions are, it will make you cringe.

I actually did some work for a client where it was cheaper for the local city government to pay my client money to get healthcare coverage as a retiree than it would cost that city to keep him in the city retiree health care plan. He got better coverage, the city save money.....it was quite an eye opener for all of us. At first the city didn't believe my numbers, but when I showed it to them they agreed. I would have never guessed that would have happened.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Apparently Obama is gonna ``save`` USPS...

White House to Propose Plan to Help Postal Service

The Obama administration said on Tuesday that it would seek to save the deficit-plagued Postal Service from an embarrassing default by proposing to give it an extra three months to make a $5.5 billion payment due on Sept. 30 to finance retirees’ future health coverage.

Speaking at a Senate hearing, John Berry, director of the federal Office of Personnel Management, also said the administration would soon put forward a plan to stabilize the postal service, which faces a deficit of nearly $10 billion this fiscal year and had warned that it could run out of money entirely this winter.

Yeah more bailouts!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
ya know what would probably stabilize things more???

give the courts the power to alter the contracts....
the mortgages, the labor deals, ect.....

many of the pension funds were defrauded during the housing bubble, but that change the fact that the money is no longer there, and if it's not there, well, it's quite obvious that it's not gonna be paid out.
and well, if they had done something with the mortgages when the problem first surfaced, rewrote the terms, done away with the adjustable rates, well.....there probably wouldn't have been the mess there is!!!
let the courts find a middle ground that is fair and equitable for all parties concerned....
otherwise, the pensioners will probably end up losing everything, and for future pensioners, that means their jobs also!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
this country is gonna be crap till the people in it start putting the country's welfare above their own!!!

Then why don't you give all of yer monies to the gov't? What's stopping ya?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by eldard

Actually the government is already taking our money we don't have to give they just take it.

Well like I say in another thread, US postal will follow, Obama to ask for bailout to pay for retirement and pensions for US postal as is also running out.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Apparently Obama is gonna ``save`` USPS...

Speaking at a Senate hearing, John Berry, director of the federal Office of Personnel Management, also said the administration would soon put forward a plan to stabilize the postal service, which faces a deficit of nearly $10 billion this fiscal year and had warned that it could run out of money entirely this winter.

Yeah more bailouts!

This would be almost funny if it wasn't happening before our eyes. We have the Post Office a government agency possibly getting a bailout from the government who also needs a bailout because were so deep in the hole we'll never see day light. With all these bailouts are going to be getting our money in rolls like toilet paper soon? Cause I can't see how we can just keep printing money and have it still have any value.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Just make the USPS part of the US Military.

Problem solved...

edit on 7-9-2011 by DJM8507 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Instead of bailing out the Post Office, why not let them implement their own suggestions to correct their problem...oh wait, congress will not let them do what needs to be done ( no Saturday service, close a couple of hundred post offices, and lay off people ). Gee... do you think what they have asked Congress to allow might actually work and they might not need a bail out? Gasp, oh horrors, the precedent it might set!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join