It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Examples: What is better in your country than in the USA?

page: 4
12
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
Also Germany. They are a smart group of people.... They are removing all their nuclear power plants by 2022.

I like that.


They now also banned incandescent light bulbs, those normal light bulbs because they are not energy efficient.

People are CRAZY in Europe when it comes to energy saving...they are buying appliances and the first thing they look at is the Energy rating.....or they think some electronic gadget/device is bad because it has eg. a LED display which doesn't turn off (using some 0.0001mW power etc..)..so the whole device is rated asbad because it is wasting energy. In the states i didn't think anything about it to have my PC on 24/day. Here: UNTHINKABLE to leave it on 24/7. (But then i have a high-end PC).




posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Ah..... I don't like the french coffee- tiny little cup of mud. I miss big american coffee!
The price of fuel here is also ridiculous, but it is funny how we adapt and live with that easily.

I also really miss BIG streets, BIG parking lots, the ease in manouvering in a car, and the simplicity of well formed rectangular blocks in cities. Of course, they can't have all that, having to deal with roads and cities that are very, very old..... but I miss all that.

Also miss In-N-Out Burger, Taco Bell (though I'm thinking I wouldn't be thin if I had them around).
I miss being very casual, wearing shorts and flip flops most of the time, always a drink with a straw in my hand.

I used to miss having dinners in which everything was all set out on the table at once and everyone serves themself.

I've started to prefer the practice of having elaborate delicate dishes coming out one at a time as courses. I learned it made my palate more sensitive and I get greater pleasure from my food.



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Gas Station Coffee



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123


They now also banned incandescent light bulbs, those normal light bulbs because they are not energy efficient.


You know, I think I heard the US is working on banning them to.... Not 100% sure as it was hear say, but still....



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123


People are CRAZY in Europe when it comes to energy saving...they are buying appliances and the first thing they look at is the Energy rating.....or they think some electronic gadget/device is bad because it has eg. a LED display which doesn't turn off (using some 0.0001mW power etc..)..so the whole device is rated asbad because it is wasting energy. In the states i didn't think anything about it to have my PC on 24/day. Here: UNTHINKABLE to leave it on 24/7. (But then i have a high-end PC).


Oh yeah, around here people have no problem leaving electronics running, wasting energy and all that. I know of plenty of people who leave their computers on 24/7 as well.

I try not to leave electricity running when I am not using it... At the very least, it saves a bit of money.



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma


Also miss In-N-Out Burger, Taco Bell (though I'm thinking I wouldn't be thin if I had them around).
I miss being very casual, wearing shorts and flip flops most of the time, always a drink with a straw in my hand.




In-N-Out Burger just made it's way to North Texas... They are not that good to me... I mean they are okay, but there is always this crazy line outside and around the corner.... No places to sit and eat and I leave feeling irritable...

The experience is similar to going to wal-mart where you feel like you are being hurded around like cattle...

The food there is not worth the hassle.


taco bell though... SOOOOOO GOOOD.



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma
 


It is funny how our veiws differ on this matter. Okay, parking can be a problem, even in the village where I live. I do love the narrow streets however, and the way the roads seems to just have a mind of their own. Sometimes it is as if the past is just jumping up and biting you in the arse.
edit on 5/9/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: Crappy Spelling



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher
 


You know, I would like that about the roads... It almost gives it...personality... Not just cold... perfectly straight, north and south east and west grids.....



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth
 


Sometimes it is the little things that make life so full of "life".



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I would say the pacing of life. In America life is very fast-paced.



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
safer here and better sushi and a lot cheaper.


telephone is cheaper, everything is cheaper.


except gas and cars and ciggs.

also cuban cigars are legal.

every country has better stuff than another, tho.

all relative my friends!



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Okay, I am going to go the other way now. I love that fact the America, as a continent, has so much empty space. Take Montana, for example, you can walk for days in the mountains and not see another human.

I love that.



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant
 


By wild predators i meant: Aligators, Crocodiles, Snakes, Poisonous spiders, Lions - the type that kicks man straight to the bottom of the food chain.

We have big gaming lots in NZ and a well oiled control progamme. Owners of the blocks get typically 4 weeks out of the year to "thin" the herds out. Our South Island has wicked open plains full of stags for game hunting. We get heaps of international tourists here all the time looking to claim the big one....

Moreover, a pastuerised paddock for lunar cow herding sounds like a fun project...



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by tawewe
reply to post by newcovenant
 


By wild predators i meant: Aligators, Crocodiles, Snakes, Poisonous spiders, Lions - the type that kicks man straight to the bottom of the food chain.

We have big gaming lots in NZ and a well oiled control progamme. Owners of the blocks get typically 4 weeks out of the year to "thin" the herds out. Our South Island has wicked open plains full of stags for game hunting. We get heaps of international tourists here all the time looking to claim the big one....

Moreover, a pastuerised paddock for lunar cow herding sounds like a fun project...



Around here we have one celled organisms that kick our butt straight to the bottom of the food chain. Here is one that is water borne in warmish waters, natural lakes and rivers. frenchtribune.com...
PAM www.swt.usace.army.mil...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I know this can't be unique to America...at least I hope not.



edit on 5-9-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher
reply to post by gimme_some_truth
 


Sometimes it is the little things that make life so full of "life".


That is exactly it! I often wonder how I could explain to my american family why I love France so- when they point out all the ways little things can be more difficult (like the roads, like the fact that you can't get any restaurant to take you after 8:30 PM, like washing machines being tiny, and using a line outside instead of a clothes dryer, due to the high cost of electricity...).

My biggest global feeling is that life feels more "real" here. Because it isn't all so easy, wasteful, thoughtless... you are forced to pay attention, engage yourself, and "be here now". Which is ultimately more fulfilling!
edit on 5-9-2011 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher
reply to post by gimme_some_truth
 


Sometimes it is the little things that make life so full of "life".


That is exactly it! I often wonder how I could explain to my american family why I love France so- when they point out all the ways little things can be more difficult (like the roads, like the fact that you can't get any restaurant to take you after 8:30 PM, like washing machines being tiny, and using a line outside instead of a clothes dryer, due to the high cost of electricity...).

My biggest global feeling is that life feels more "real" here. Because it isn't all so easy, wasteful, thoughtless... you are forced to pay attention, engage yourself, and "be here now". Which is ultimately more fulfilling!
edit on 5-9-2011 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)



This is so true. A great sentiment and thought to be reminded of. Life is like eating a wonderful plate of food...not to be rushed thorough but to be savored, lingering in the mouth, chewed well and enjoyed thoroughly with hopefully a nice Burgundy or Chardonnay.



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

Originally posted by tawewe
reply to post by newcovenant
 


Around here we have one celled organisms that kick our butt straight to the bottom of the food chain. Here is one that is water borne in warmish waters, natural lakes and rivers. frenchtribune.com...
PAM www.swt.usace.army.mil...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I know this can't be unique to America...at least I hope not.



edit on 5-9-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)






Yup we have those little suckas too in our hot springs. It's actually very rare to hear of someone dying from it, but it has happened - mostly tourists - mostly from the US lol
jokes......
edit on 15/08/11 by tawewe because: nil



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher
Okay, I am going to go the other way now. I love that fact the America, as a continent, has so much empty space. Take Montana, for example, you can walk for days in the mountains and not see another human.

I love that.




Is this what my thread is about?

I think that is a great idea for a thread though.

Hint. Hint.



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant
 


British tea,fantastic tetly, pg tips or typhoo.
Allso on a more serious note ive been to the states a few times,didnt see much cause i was trainin(A FONG has the best wing chun in the world)but i did have a couple of nights out and i found there is an underlying fear in every one,its like they are all afraid of each other but pretend not to be,very strange.
In England nights out can be quite dangerous, this is a very violent nation but we tend not to care that much and we juat have a laugh.If it kicks off it kicks off but dont let it spoil your night.



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Oh, I think someone mentioned that NZ has no dangerous predators. I tend to disagree.
Ever been in a trendy cocktail bar on a Saturday night? Cougars everywhere. LOL




top topics



 
12
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

log in

join