It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tropical Storm Talas leaves 29 dead, 56 missing in Japan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Tropical Storm Talas leaves 29 dead, 56 missing in Japan

edition.cnn.com

Tokyo (CNN) -- The death toll from Talas, which swept across western Japan, has risen to 29, local authorities said Monday.

Another 56 people are missing, according to a tally of casualties compiled from various prefectural police.

The storm unleashed record rainfall that triggered landslides and flooding.

The Japan Meteorological Agency briefly classified the storm as a typhoon before it made landfall. But the Joint Typhoon Warning Center recorded the storm making landfall in Japan as a tropi
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
"" "I have been working for the prefectural office over 40 years, but this is the worst in my memory," said Tsutomu Furukawa of Wakayama prefecture. Wakayama is one of three prefectures on the mountainous Kii Peninsula, where damage from Talas was concentrated as the storm swept across the area on Saturday.

In the town of Nachi Katsuura in Wakayama, a river flooded into a residential area, and mudslides swallowed several homes, officials said.

More than 16,000 residents were ordered to evacuate from the Kii Peninsula area, and roughly 30,000 other residents were encouraged to evacuate voluntarily.

According to Japan's meteorological agency, Talas brought record rain in the three prefectures over three days. The Japanese government set up a emergency task force for search-and-rescue operations and to begin reconstruction of damaged communities. ""

WOW, japan realy must be an enamy to mother nature!!
i know it normal for japan to get typhoon, and they are lucky they did not get a full brunt of a typhoon but there is a lot of destruction from this tropical storm. i heard on cnn that there is 3ft of water!!! thats a lot. landslides have really made the damage.

lucky it did not hit the east side of the country and tamper the efforts at the nuke plant to stabalise it.

will japan ever get a break???

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

join