It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.S. Deal 'wrecks Middle East peace'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Despite the call by the Bush Administration's 'road map to peace' which clearly calls for a freeze in all settlement activity by Israelis. According to the following report as early as last week Israel invited tenders to build more than 1,000 homes in the West Bank. The White House did not criticise that announcement...

Guardian Full Article

The US was yesterday accused by Palestinian leaders of destroying hopes for peace in the Middle East by giving its covert support to Israel's expansion of controversial settlements in the West Bank.

American officials are privately admitting they have abandoned their demands that Israel freeze settlement activity, and have given Jerusalem tacit permission to build thousands of new homes on the disputed land.

Palestinians fear that the expansion of settlements will make it impossible to establish a viable state on the land Israel took from Jordan in the 1967 war.

Ahmed Qureia, the Palestinian prime minister, said the US position would destroy the peace process, and Amr Moussa, secretary general of the Arab League, said America's unilateral redrawing of the road map was "a very grave development".

Publicly, the US still upholds the road map, which calls for a freeze on all settlement activity, including natural growth. But the administration, partly out of frustration with Yasser Arafat, has adopted a position more sympathetic to Israel.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There is much more in the full article above. It also shows plans to build another 1,600 homes and infrastructure that would link Ma'ale Adumim with east Jerusalem, and only add to the frustrations of Palestinians still hopeful for a state of their own, and willing to follow the peace plan started by the U.S.A.

The article states that growing frustration with Yassir Arafat not reforming the Palestinian Authority and preventing violence was in part the cause of the shift in U.S. policy.

It now seems that as the population of Israel continues to grow amid conflict and now expanding settlements the Bush administration's 'road map to peace' is doomed to failure. Perhaps the Bush administration has now seen fit to just look the other way and let Israel do as they wish.

This conflict in Israel, between the Palestinians and Israelis will only continue to grow with the settlements, and in time bring back a strong sense of frustration among Palestinian terrorists, motivating them to launch more suicide attacks, and bring harsh Israeli military retaliation, Thus this painful conflict will continue to grow and consume the region.

Related ATSNN News/Discussion

Human chain protests Israeli pullback

[edit on 22-8-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
How long is this going to go on? ITS OVER. If you lost the land in a war then IT'S GONE! Stop whining about it, it's GONE. How many more centuries should they keep this up? Till there all dead and no Palestinians exist? Is that what they want? Go somewhere else, it's OVER. If Jordan started a war with Israel, and they lost the land, then IT'S GONE! Why is it taking so long for them to get this? How can anyone feel sorry for them when they still don't understand this? I'm not a scholar on this subject, I'm just saying this as an observer who has seen these problems for his entire life. Also, its not up to America to broker their peace, it's up to them, and since they still don't get it, it will never happen. Either every Palestinian is dead, or every Israeli, thats the only end I can see. This kind of thing has to stop, and I mean from everyone, America included. I've never wanted to vote more then this election.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I still don't know why Jordan hasn't been asked to play a larger part in all of this. Much of what was Old Palestine is now in modern day Jordan and not Israel. The majority of Jordan's population consists of Palestinians. Two of Jordan's kings have been quoted stating that Jordan is really Palestine. King Abdullah was quoted saying "Palestine and Jordan are one..." in 1948. King Hussein was quoted saying "The truth is that Jordan is Palestine and Palestine is Jordan" in 1981. There are many more quotations from other members of the Jordanian royal family, Jordanian prime ministers and even a spokesman for the PLO that express the same sentiment. The whole thing stinks. I wouldn't be surprised if most parties involved in this affair were trying to add fuel to the fire in order to keep the region unstable. The Arabs don't want the Jews and westerners stablizing the Middle East and the Jews and westerners don't want the arabs stablizing the area either. It seems that all sides are satisfied with a stalemate of sorts as opposed to gambling on a real victory or defeat. I hate to take sides in an issue like this but... if the "Palestinians" picked up and moved back home to JORDAN, then this issue would be put to rest. I can't imagine that the fighting between the Jews and Arabs would stop, but at least neither side would be able to use this tired old excuse anymore
. Just an opinion. I don't aim to offend.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
fortunate1, Jordan was created out of a large portion of Palestine in the 1920s but the lower portion of Palestine remained and the population that inhabited that region remained there in what was left of Palestine.

Telling the Palestinians to go back to Jordan is like telling the population of Pakistan to go back to India.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Hey UM_Gazz, how about explaining how your title is accurate?

The way it reads now, the Israelies are the only ones stalling the peace plan. The United States is not the keeper of Israel, and what difference does a message of condemnation or support make to Isreal. As shown on June 7, 1981 Israel is no stranger to lone wolf actions of international consequence. I find your article heading misleading and bordering on false. You can claim that by not condeming this Israeli action the US is "contributing" to the failur of the road map, but can you show direct US stalling of the plan? No.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   
HAHAHAHA...... It was meant to be funny right? I mean you did'nt seriously want us to think that either the U.S> or the Israelis are against peace. History shows who is willing to make peace and whom is not so please stop with the hillarity. Israel gave back trans-jordon to jordon for peace, Israel gave back the sinai penensula to egypt for peace, Israel offered Palestinians 98% of what they wanted in the last peace deal and was met with continued bombing and murdering of its citizens, only a fool or a muslim would blame this on Israel or the U.S. I believe the only way to get peace in this region is to either kill all palestinians or give them France. How long would america tolerate mexicans killing its southern border citizens because some fanatical mexicans thought they had a right to texas or new mexico? About 3 seconds is the answer....

Pray for the PEACE of JerUSAlem!

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I see your point AceOfBase however Pakistan is 125 times larger than Palestine and has 40 times as many people. Also, approximately 81% of Indians are Hindu as the vast majority of Pakistanis are Muslim (with a sizeable Sikh population), while almost all Jordanians AND Palestinians are muslim. For the "Palestinians" to give up "Palestine" they would only be sacrificing a grand total of 6,220 sq. kilometers as opposed to Pakistan's over 800,000 sq. kilometers. Regardless... I get your point but don't you think that 6,000 sq. kilometers is worth peace and stability in the region? Especially when Jordan has almost 90,000 sq. kilometers and only 4 million people (Less than 400,000 more people than the population of Arabs crammed into "Palestine"). It doesn't seem like all that great of a sacrifice in the name of peace. IMO at least.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
CHANGE YOUR HEADING!

Sorry! Point received!

[edit on 23-8-2004 by TexasConspiracyNut]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I do agree with you though.
[edit on 23-8-2004 by fortunate1]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47
Hey UM_Gazz, how about explaining how your title is accurate?

If you read the full Guardian article linked in the original story, you would see that the title is the same, and the reason it reads that way is the Palestinian leaders make the claim which the report backs up.

that is why it reads like this:

U.S. Deal 'wrecks Middle East peace' ... Notice these: ' ' ???

Gazz

[edit on 23-8-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
With the exception of 'ace of base' have any of you actually read the article??

It was meant to be funny right? I mean you did'nt seriously want us to think that either the U.S> or the Israelis are against peace

Clearly you haven't read itr either, it pretty obvious the US couldn't care less about peace in the middle east even if you ignore the fact that they are killing innocent people everyday in iraq.

in the article it clearly states

AMERICAN OFFICIALS ARE PRIVATELY ADMITTING THEY HAVE ABANDONED THEIR DEMANDS THAT ISRAEL FREEZE SETTLEMENT ACTIVITY, AND HAVE GIVEN JERUSALEM TACIT PERMISSION TO BUILD THOUSANDS OF NEW HOMES ON THE DISPUTED LAND.

doesn't look much like they want peace to me, The US clearly have given the green light to their partner in crime Israel to do what ever it wants . If the US was serious about sorting out the palestinian issue they would be excerting pressure on both side.

Don't get me wrong, Palestine is just as much to blame as israel as both sides have committed terrible attrocities to each other but the middle east will never see peace until this issue is finally sorted out.

Israel just can't keep on ingoring US resolutions against it, stealing more land from the palestinians, killing innocent women & children who are merely going about they daily business when they get blown up by missiles fired from helicopters into busy streets at terrorist leader who are driving past or simply shooting into the crowds of protestors, demolising the houses of relatives, friends & neighbours of suicide bombers then building Israeli settlement on that land.

But also the palastinians can't keep blowing up buses and killing innocents as well.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Israel acceptance of the road map did not include agreeing to a freeze on natural growth of settlements

The tender package did not flout recent understandings with Washington that any new homes would be built within existing construction lines. The U.S. supports construction of new apartments in areas already built up in some settlements, as long as the expansion does not extend outward to undeveloped parts of the West Bank.

The tenders include 604 homes in Betar Ilit, 214 in Ariel, 141 in Ma'aleh Adumim (will be appended to Jerusalem) and 42 in Karnei Shomron.

(see also ATSNN: Isreali West Bank New Housing Starts Increase by 1,000)

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
How about this then arnold_vosloo... If we truly and completely turned our backs on this conflict, then Israel would waste no time disposing of the "Palestinians" and anyone else who threatened them in any way. One moment the world expects us to get out and stay out of everyone's business but then only moments later you want us to step in and stop Israel from building new settlements. MAKE UP YOUR FREAKING MINDS PEOPLE lol. We are not the worlds freakin clean up guys. The majority of Americans supported the war in Iraq even though most of you have changed your minds like you always do. This country is starting to remind me of a great pin full of confused and spoiled children lol. Most of you are so fickle and confused that I'm not sure that even YOU know what you want anymore lol. I say we just pull the hell out and let them finish this once and for all. I hate to call on an old cliche but... You helped make this bed and now we all must lie down in it.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
@arnold_vosloo

I criticised Israel a long time for their policy towards the palestinians but the offers they made in the last peace deals as already eloborated by theindependentjournal were tremendous and should have been satisfying enough.

The palestinian answer was bombings. So I am sorry but at least Israel tried to solve it and that's a fact.

The US was wrong supporting Israels actions since the 60s but meanwhile...why should they vote against it? Sorry, it's not Israel that destroyed peace and peace talks.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz

If you read the full Guardian article linked in the original story, you would see that the title is the same, and the reason it reads that way is the Palestinian leaders make the claim which the report backs up.

[edit on 23-8-2004 by UM_Gazz]

So your basing all of your bias on assumptions made by the "Guardian" using information from Pakistan? Well ah hell your quite the reporter, now excuse me while I go watch Sout African satellite feed for my local news.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by fortunate1
How about this then arnold_vosloo... If we truly and completely turned our backs on this conflict, then Israel would waste no time disposing of the "Palestinians" and anyone else who threatened them in any way.

isn't that what they are doing to each other anyway?

One moment the world expects us to get out and stay out of everyone's business but then only moments later you want us to step in and stop Israel from building new settlements. MAKE UP YOUR FREAKING MINDS PEOPLE lol.

I sorry but the USA is the ONLY country in the world that has the power to push the middle east peace plan through due to the vast amount of aid they give to them each year. US aid to israel in 2003 totalled $2,100,000,000 !! thats a hell of a lot of money

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
$2,100,000,000 is the same price of a shiny new F-22 Raptor. Yes its a lot of money but the US throws around a lot more for even more dubious causes. IE Medicare.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   

$2,100,000,000 is the same price of a shiny new F-22 Raptor. Yes its a lot of money but the US throws around a lot more for even more dubious causes. IE Medicare.

So what you are saying is that people shouldn't have access to free healthcare yes?? So what if you or a member of your family was seriously ill, had no insurance do you still think that it was ok that person was going to die because the money was better spent on weapons to be used to kill more people.

I'm interested in your opinion on that?

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
We give that kind of aid and sometimes more to many many countries and not just Israel.

Regardless, no amount of money is going to push this peace agreement through. The only way that this conflict is going to come to an end is if there is once and for all... an undisputed winner. Israel is going to have to completely run the Palestinians out or vice versa. Even then... the Jew/Arab conflict will NOT be over. The Arabs want there to be NO Jewish state in the Middle East and they will not quit attacking Israel until they succeed in running the Jews off or until the Jews conquer (with our help) the entire region.

I'm not Jewish or of any religious persuasion to be precise, but I say... support those who have already welcomed and adopted the 21st century. Otherwise you support the barbarian hordes which have brought the collapse of many great civilizations, and plunged us more than once into a dark age of sorts.

Once again... we're talking about 6,000 sq. km of what once was a terrritory of almost 100,000 sq. km. It's a small chunk of land that Israel seized after repeated attacks by their Arab neighbors. After you attack someone.... and LOSE, you can't start whining about how unfairly you are treated by the victors. That's not the way that warfare works. Imagine if the Arab nations had won those conflicts long ago... They'd have slaughtered the jews and run the few survivors out into the wastes once more. The "Palestinians" and their other Arab neighbors should feel lucky lol.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
the point is no other country can afford or is willing to give such huge sums of money, therefore the US is in a very powerful bargaining position by threatening to withdraw that amount of aid they could push the peace plan through

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join