It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time for Book Recommendations!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Alright just completed A Peoples History of the US by Howard Zinn and now I'm looking for something more fantastical in character. I know theres got to be a considerable amount of Tolkien Fans lurking here, so come on out of your caves and share your treaures with the rest of us! Im looking for a truly enthralling high fantasy book/series that is not written by George Martin or Robert Jordan please! The type I'm looking for needs some bits of originality and cant use names like Frorth Leathersword...you know what I mean. Something truly epic, with adventures, battles, drama, politics, cultures....where the enemy isnt called the "Shadowy One" and there is no ultimate power, especially not one called "Oneness" or "Frajalalas Light". Seriously something on par with LoTR in believability if there is such a series that exists. or a word such as believability.

Think you know of a book/series that fits this description?

edit on 5-9-2011 by asperetty because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
i just read mark danielewski's 'house of leaves' and i LOVED it. i'm a big fan of anything by philip k. dick, too, even and especially his nonfiction.

props for zinn. if you like that check out chris hedges's 'empire of illusion' or 'war is a force that gives us meaning' or some noam chomsky.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
the illuminatus trilogy is a hoot, fans of ats would probably like that.

i see fnords all over ats!

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Try something by Janny Wurts? She has standalone novels and series. I would try Master of Whitestorm (standalone) or the Cycle of Fire Trilogy (Stormwarden, Keeper of the Keys, Shadowfane). I like her books for their originality.

Or the Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist? In my opinion the first 3 books (Magician, Silverthorn and A darkness at Sethanon) he wrote are the best of the lot. Faerie Tale is quite good too.

Or the Deathgate Cycle (7 books) by Margaret Weiss & Tracy Hickman.

Doomsday book by Connie Willis is not bad either.

The Riddlemaster's Game (3 books) by Patricia McKillip is considered to be an epic fantasy. If you liked Lord of the Rings you should like this too.

The Chronicles of Morgain by C.J. Cherryh is also very good in my opinion.

Dragondoom and The Eye of the Hunter by Dennis McKiernan are also good. These are 2 standalone novels.

Hope the above helps?

I also found this website: The Recommended Fantasy Author List

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
"Lord Valentines Castle" by Robert Silverberg.
edit on 5-9-2011 by TerryMcGuire because: Sp

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
"Lord Valentines Castle" by Robert Silverberg.
Oops.
edit on 5-9-2011 by TerryMcGuire because: Double post. Opps

edit on 5-9-2011 by TerryMcGuire because: Opps again

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
"Many Lives, Many Masters" by Brian L. Weiss

Read that book in 4 hours in one sitting lol it was good! Read with discretion and keep whatever resonates with your conscience.

top topics

join