It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Had to clip our pet locusts wing. Feels bad.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
This is going to sound really stupid.
My daughter found an escaped feeder locust on the floor in a local pet store, and she didn't want to leave it there in case it got trodden on, so we asked if we could have it, and oddly they agreed.
We called it Larry, and gave it a home, and food, and all the luxury a locust could want.
As it moulted, into adulthood we realised we had a 'she' locust, but kept the name.

We've had her for a few months now, and she's shed her skin 4 times leading up to her maturity.
I spent money on a larger home for her, so she could spread her adult wings when they came, and sure enough two nights ago Larry shed her skin for the last time.
Sadly something went terribly wrong. We think she fell while drying and her wings got twisted, and 'set' in nasty positions.
She was dragging one behind her, as she walked, and it was catching on her spiky legs and ripping, this distressed her, and she spent so much time kicking out, that she wouldn't eat her first post-shed meal. (They don't eat for days before they shed)
We consulted a few people (including a guy who works with locusts at a UK university, and my sister who has looked after them as part of a diploma) and I was told to 'clip' her wing near the base, so she would be able to walk unhindered.

Well I've just done it. I stretched out her wing with tweezers, and she sat super calmly, because it wasn't rubbing on her leg anymore, and I cut it off. I then put a tiny bit of clotting agent on the wing-stem, she didn't freak out, she just wandered off, without a backward glance, and she's now resting upside down on a twig.

I'm quietly confident that IF she eats, she will survive now, but it was HIDEOUS, and I feel awful.

I know it's only a locust. I know it's stupid, but this whole thing has taught me so much...
Learning about her, and chatting to experts, and looking after her, we've kind of grown to love the leggy freak.

Just wanted to let off steam.

edit on 5-9-2011 by Deplume because: derp

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Well first off, she should have been set free. IMO. I'm a creature lover as well.

But since that didn't happen and the wing thing was causing stress, you did the right thing. Any creature deserves a little help now and then. Like taking a fox out of a trap. You can't stand by and let it suffer through no fault of its own.

Oh, and...ewwww!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e2016140c569.gif[/atsimg]

Not a locust but a cicada and still cool tho!

edit on 5-9-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

She's a desert locust. You're not allowed to set them free in the UK I was told, not sure how true that is.

Aside from that, the climate over here would have killed her in a matter of days, if not hours.
If I could have, I would have done, I promise.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deplume
reply to post by jude11

She's a desert locust. You're not allowed to set them free in the UK I was told, not sure how true that is.

Aside from that, the climate over here would have killed her in a matter of days, if not hours.
If I could have, I would have done, I promise.

Well sometimes they get transferred in cages, food crates etc. Then you did the right thing all along.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
You did alright, btw nice gesture overll! Hopfully Larry will be alright for the time being.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Double posted(sorry having net issues).
edit on 5-9-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I can't believe someone went to that much trouble for a locust.

I remember eating grasshoppers and beetles in Asia, toasted with salt. Somehow this is awkward.

It was a nice gesture though, for the bug you helped out....

edit on 5-9-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
I can't believe someone went to that much trouble for a locust.

I remember eating grasshoppers and beetles in Asia, toasted with salt. Somehow this is awkward.

It was a nice gesture though, for the bug you helped out....

edit on 5-9-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

Boncho read my mind.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Deplume

Aww, how cute.
I bonded with a slug one time. I just picked it up, and connected with it.
They are beauties.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Lol.
I guess I'm a fairly awkward person.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Deplume

My dad made me kill a cat one time...
kinda like your story.
I cried after.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Very nice thing you did, Deplume! The size or type of creature doesn't matter, all beings are valuable, and Larry is no exception. I go out of my way to rescue bugs and Animals, and even try to be careful about stepping on ant hills, etc.

Your compassion is a great characteristic, and I wish you, your Family, and Larry the best!!!

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
This is a really neat thread. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, no matter how 'stupid' it might seen as Larry is just a locust.

Your compassion for creatures says a lot about your character, and I am glad to see other human that is very delicate with all creatures as no matter how tiny, they have a right to live as we do and are not here to just be squashed.

For someone eating bugs in Asia, it is quite a fetch to go from domesticating a locust to eating one. Interesting how different cultures interact with insects and animals.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
reply to post by Deplume

Aww, how cute.
I bonded with a slug one time. I just picked it up, and connected with it.
They are beauties.

Like attracts like. Pretty common really and I wish you two the very best.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Inconceivable
Very nice thing you did, Deplume! The size or type of creature doesn't matter, all beings are valuable, and Larry is no exception. I go out of my way to rescue bugs and Animals, and even try to be careful about stepping on ant hills, etc.

Your compassion is a great characteristic, and I wish you, your Family, and Larry the best!!!

This suits my thoughts best of all.

I move rather than squash bugs and I have even saved the lives of hundreds w ho might have drowned, bees hornets, flipping over beetles waving legs in the air. I had the idea to write a childrens book once about THE LUCKY BUG who happens to be in trouble drowning or something and encounters one of the few humans who will see fit to help him out rather than squash him.

Compassion should be spread around like oxygen.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Well first off, she should have been set free. IMO. I'm a creature lover as well.

But since that didn't happen and the wing thing was causing stress, you did the right thing. Any creature deserves a little help now and then. Like taking a fox out of a trap. You can't stand by and let it suffer through no fault of its own.
Oh, and...ewwww!
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e2016140c569.gif[/atsimg]
Not a locust but a cicada and still cool tho!

Love this!!!!

Remarks and gif

People are saying this sort of thing will happen to humans around 2012. This will be similar to our change too, an evolutionary leap of some sort. Fun to imagine how this could be done. Lord knows I have already shed enough skins and wings would be cool. I see a story there...

edit on 5-9-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
first I would to request pics of the locust

I fell in love with Ausie Thorny Stickbugs once

I bought a baby one and watched her grow into a real huge Ugly/Beautiful bug I was so enamored of her that I found her a male(turns out they are parthenogenic and don't even need males)

the males have a smell like butterscotch and they can fly ,they have something like six sets of wings and look everything like a Froud Fairy

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
That's so sweet.
You are going to be crushed when she finally shuffles off her mortal coil though.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

That's not very nice.
What did I do to you?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
reply to post by newcovenant

That's not very nice.
What did I do to you?

It was a joke. I meant no offense. Your reply was also a joke no?

new topics

top topics

join