It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fires break out across Central Texas

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neysa
There is ash falling on my yard out of a clear blue sky.

About 30 minutes later, the sky is now orange and so smokey it burns my nose. The ash fall is getting heavier.
I would prefer a hurricane to this #. My 13 year old said it looks all end of the worldsy.
edit on 7-9-2011 by Neysa because: (no reason given)

Yeah, the bigger the falling ash the more I get concerned. When the wind turned south earlier I was getting ash that was up to 2 inches. I don't know how far the ash can carry and still stay hot (as I mentioned in an earlier post) But... there is a second smaller fire to the east of the one I'm near and it looks like a good 1/4-1/2 mile away from the main one.

Have you been prepping your home?

I've got 5 sprinklers rotating around my home out to 150 feet. If the fire looks like it going to hit us, I'm going to put 3 on the roof and one on each side.

I have cut all the tall brush down out to 200' and mowed another 80' wide fire break near the center of our property. If it looks like it's going to hit us I'll hit the fire break with a disc plow also.

Worse comes to worse, I'll get the chainsaw and start dropping the trees close to the house to save the home.

From past experiance, I know that everything standing burns quicker. Knock it down and water it. Either it won't burn much or at least it'll be a slow burn you can control. Even grass, 1-2 foot tall grass will make a fire you can't stop. Mow it down and you can pat it out with a broom.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

...gosh, dont know what to say - except thx for posting those...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I hope everyone is still safe. From what I've heard they are starting to be able to contain the main fire a little more.

reply to post by AP-Chris

I hadn't even put those two together.

I've always wondered which path TTC/NAFTA Super Highway would follow once it got to the DFW area, because judging from the plans I've seen it more or less follows I-35 in Texas. Once you get outside Hillsboro (headed N towards DFW), I-35 forks into I-35E and I-35W, before merging again near Denton. Would they just go in between Dallas and Fort Worth? Regardless, some of the roads in Fort Worth are expanding like crazy. They're going from 2 lanes each way to 6 lanes each way. It needed to happen years ago, but it still makes me wonder now that I think about it.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by riddle6

Here's the long and short:

They said this whole project is supposed to reduce congestion in the cities. It does nothing to improve the traffic within the cities. The corridor bypasses the cities and all truck/rail traffic coming into the city will still come in on existing highways that will not be expanded from this.

The main thing is that this is a massive Tollway. You have to pay to drive on it. They will not expand other existing highways that "compete" with traffic so that you will be forced to drive the tollway to save time. And guess where the money goes? Not back into our infrastructure but to a private company in Spain. Cintra/Zachery, is the name. Guess who is a major campaign contributor to Perry and his cronies? Cintra/Zachery

Will the liberals and the news put this out there? No.

But, it is fact plain as day

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/823f29a6743e.gif[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/256fce0c3fbc.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ee8de7959987.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e3497445ba7a.jpg[/atsimg]

Largest land grab in Texas history orchastrated by "conservative" Rick Perry so that Chineese goods can go to Mexican ports and by trucked in by Mexican trucks for delivery at your local Walmart.

Go ahead Republicans and vote for this #ing scumbag. I am done with all of them on all sides. Nothing but scum and traitors.

edit on 8-9-2011 by AP-Chris because: ps. Fires still burning, token aerial support

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
They are now saying 1,386 homes have been destroyed in the one Bastrop fire. www.kxan.com...
That is not including all the other fires nearby, and that number could go up.

They had a news conference this morning, but would not allow cameras, just reporters. So some people speculated, they have lost control of the fire again.
I hope that is not the case.

The 4 teens they suspect of arson and are looking for, is for the Leander fire, not the Bastrop fire.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Near Cottletown Rd. in Bastrop County

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Thanks for the information. The curve around DFW just outside of Oklahoma makes absolutely no sense to me. That looks like it would waste a good 20-30 minutes, since it appears you would have to go around Frisco and Plano. Why not just go straight through Arlington? I'm sure Jerry Jones would be happy that Cowboys Stadium would get more viewers. I guess its good I'm not planning it (nor would I, the whole "land grabbing" concept is just wrong imho).

If the curve was to go to the west of Fort Worth, past Weatherford near Possum Kingdom Lake (an area that has had fires all year), I think you could make a case that someone could be burning people out.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Bad news... the high temps are returning to Texas.. Next Monday, we will be at 97.. then 100 on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Nice cool weather while it lasted. I hope it doesn't get as hot down in central Texas or a lot more people will be dying.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Hope you are in the clear today. Don't get me started on the TTC. I start ranting uncontrollably.

Looks like Houston is getting the worst of the fallout today.
Prepped the place as well as I could. Sprinklers where they might be able to help. My place, thanks to the drought, is almost devoid of grass so that's not worrying me. Unfortunately, my neighbors on the east and west sides of me are absentee landowners. Their grass is tall and brown and there is not much I can do about it. That's where most of the sprinklers are pointed.

As of now there are no fires threatening nearby but I just heard the scanner mention Monaville and that's just a few miles up wind as the crow flies. I have our bugout bags and pet carriers ready if need be. Not much else I can do at this point but wait.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

...the problem with your trans-texas corridor theory is that it was in action long before perry was installed as governor - and - its not officially on the table anymore... the "not officially" part is debateable, i know...

en.wikipedia.org...

In 2009, TxDOT decided to phase out the all-in-one corridor concept in favor of developing separate rights-of-way for road, rail, and other infrastructure using more traditional corridor widths for those modes.[3] In 2010, official decision of "no action" was issued by the Federal Highway Administration, formally ending the project. The action eliminated the study area and canceled the agreement between TxDOT and Cintra Zachry. In 2011, the Texas Legislature formally canceled the Trans-Texas Corridor.

...also, if we hadnt been under severe drought all year (and in some places longer), we wouldnt be having all these fires... i dont believe it has anything to do with a conspiracy but thats jmo...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
...you can see in-color video of the fires from space here...

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join