It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fires break out across Central Texas

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Yea it's pretty bad. We need a dang hurricane here in TX.

On a side note, I was happy to feel a nice cool front this morning.

I'm so over the 110 degree weather.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Here is a little info ob the last time texas was this dry.It lasted many years.
www.tsl.state.tx.us...
I really cant imagine going through this.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
In the county I just moved from, there is a "flame ban". As in, no barbeques or even cigarettes. No fire of any kind allowed! Now I understand the barbeques, but cigarettes? How are they going to enforce that? If anyone knows Williamson County, I'm sure you've heard they're law enforcement is absolutely atrocious.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadeyedick
Here is a little info ob the last time texas was this dry.It lasted many years.
www.tsl.state.tx.us...
I really cant imagine going through this.

7 years.. *shudder*.. and that was in the 50s when our technological, manufacturing, and population base were only a fraction of what they are now...

Not sure we will be able to survive another year of this.

All the trees in the neighborhood are dying. Last night we has 21% humidity. Right now we are at 18% humidity. Yeah, it's nice and cool, and I won't complain about that, but even the weeds in my bark yard are shrivelling up now. Definately a fire hazard even up here in Dallas.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

What's horrible, is we are already in a stage 3 drought.
We need some rain like yesterday!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
2 people have died in the Bastrop fires now. So sad.
www.kvue.com...
It's crazy that there is 0 containment and it has been burning for days. over 600 homes.
The huge DC 10 that flew in today wont be able to fight the fires until Friday.

At least its still not 110 and we are having nice cool mornings but we still desperately need rain. We are in stage 4 and possibly soon to be stage 5. A hurricane would be nice. I don't even care if it has BP oil in it at this point!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Thats why I water the tree that leans slightly towards my kids room. Being in drought and water restrictions, I sometimes use "grey water" I think its called.

At the store, they drain the ice off the beer, and just throw it out. It was so clear, lol, I told dude to at least pour it on the grass. So wasteful we have become.

On topic, my friends husband has been non stop sleep/work the past couple days, helping to fight these fires. They are really trying to pull together on this! Im sad 2 lives were lost, but honestly Im surprised its not more. So many homes.

Surounding areas of san antonio have caught fire yesterday and today. Thankfully now out and/or contained!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by showintail

Yeah it was indeed sad to hear about the 2 lives lost, but thankful it was not more (and it really could have been).

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I'm sitting in the mandatory evacuation area of the Magnolia fire.

A sheriff was going house to house informing everyone about the mandatory evacuation.

I stayed as have most of my neighbors. It's far enough away that it does not pose an immediate danger to us and everyone is using that time to cut fire breaks with their tractors and other equipment.

I threw 2 five gallon gas cans in the back of my truck and was able to leave to go to the gas station and get back in, past the road block, by saying I needed to get more fuel for my tractor to finish cutting a fire break. What I actually needed was more beer... the tractor is always topped off.

What I've noticed:

The news is absolutely useless!
No maps or arial view of the fire. This is such B.S. When you are getting a wall of smoke blowing towards you, you can't tell how far away the actual fire is so you rely on someone telling you you need to leave in 5 minutes.

How much more can you save from your home if you have 2 hours instead of the 5 minutes they just told you?

That's why I stayed. I'm not leaving until I see the flames coming. Until then I'll cut fire breaks, get all the sprinklers going, move valued items to a clear area, etc...

The Mandatory Evacuation area was too large

Seriously!
I'm surprised I'm in the evacuation area right now, I can barely see the glow on from the fire in the distance, it's like 10 miles away from here. Telling me to leave right away is having no regard for my personal belongings.

Since I've stayed I have been able to:
Move equipment/vehicles to an open field
Cut a fire break
Run 6 sprinklers around the house for 10 hours and set up to run 3 on the roof later (if needed)
Organize all required belongings for possible evac
Stage a trailer for all extra belongings I'd like to have
Tighten the chain on my chainsaw so I can drop the trees near the house if need be
Drink 6 beers and watch some TV

My neighbors aren't like the victims you see on the news. They've been doin all kind of stuff since they were knee high to a squirrel. People like this stay because (most likely) they will save their own home.

That's my beef.
The news can go f themselves. Give us an accurate map and the estimated rate the fire is progressing. Give us something useful instead of sob stories about homes already destroyed. Give some information to people who still have a chance to save their home on how to do it.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Give us something useful instead of sob stories about homes already destroyed. Give some information to people who still have a chance to save their home on how to do it.
reply to post by AP-Chris

You mean...you want the msm to give you useful information? Seriously? lolol

Apart from that though. It's important that people who are not familiar with rural life out here realise that most of the people fighting these fires are volunteers. We have small volunteer fire departments out here. I think they are doing an awsome job. These guys and ladies' houses could be burning while they put out a fire threatening a strangers house. They are heroes imho.

Stay safe AP-Chris!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

edit on 9-7-2011 by rogerstigers because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Incredible photo! Terrifying.
Looks like pyroclastic flow.
Is that Bastrop?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neysa

Incredible photo! Terrifying.
Looks like pyroclastic flow.
Is that Bastrop?

Yeah on Highway 71 heading towards downtown Bastrop.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

You mean...you want the msm to give you useful information? Seriously? lolol

Yes

But no one will now days because information has to be filtered through lawyers to make sure no one is liable for anything. What we end up with is useless info that no one is responsible for...just the way the lawyers want it.

Update in my area:

Unfortunately the wind has picked back up (8-10 mph out of the east), so the fire is flaring back up and pushing more west then south (I assume)

Bad news for me since I would be better off with this fire coming straight from the north.

Going to drive up and see how far away this actually is right now and how big it is.

Again, if the stupid news would give an aerial view of this and an accurate location I wouldn't have to do that.

To all news people: If you go home at night thinking your good at your job... you're not.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Here is a link that might help.
fire info for Waller and Montgomery counties
I don't know how often they are updating the maps though. You can sign up for evac alerts.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/11380f87724f.jpg[/atsimg]

I find it disturbing that the City of Bostrop Texas
lies along the planned NAFTA super highway.

That land should be worth a great deal
in the future after it is built.

There is motive here to
burn people out.

The super highway was originally planed to
go through Wako Texas, but after
a public relations disaster there
the plan was moved.

David Grouchy

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neysa

Here is a link that might help.
fire info for Waller and Montgomery counties
I don't know how often they are updating the maps though. You can sign up for evac alerts.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Drove up to see exactly where it's at. Hwy 1488 was closed. Not sure if the fire has crossed yet.

Here's a pic:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6891f0fe97e8.jpg[/atsimg]

From my place:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d6eaeb04d79a.jpg[/atsimg]

Stopped to talk to a guy with a bulldozer staged at the front of his property. He's been listening to a scanner. Apparantly this is a real nasty fire, no containment. The winds are a problem even light winds because the embers blow and the fire jumps past fire breaks.

Where I drove up to (Joseph Rd) there was larger ash debris falling (1-2 in.) This was probably 2 miles away so I could see how it would be possible for the fire to jump a 1/4 mile at a time. It's just so damn dry here.

david grouchy:

I find it disturbing that the City of Bostrop Texas
lies along the planned NAFTA super highway.

That land should be worth a great deal
in the future after it is built.

Interestingly enough, the fire where I'm at is in one of the proposed paths also.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/92db41f3c5ea.gif[/atsimg]

Trans Texas Corridor (TTC) to us in Texas, a very real project and the start of the NAFTA Superhighway that is supposed to be a myth. I was going to town hall meetings on this in my area before going to town hall meetings were "cool".

TTC is Rick Perry's pet project, shoved through against our will, giving a company in Spain a 99 year lease to charge Texans to drive on our own roads. NAFTA superhighway will go through with Perry as president, there is no doubt in my mind about that.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Just read a story that authorities are searching for 4 teenagers, 2 male, 2 female (15-16 years old) - in connection to some of these fires...potential arson.

Where are some snipers when you need them?? But seriously, that is so wrong. People have lost their lives, homes, everything. So sad.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Perhaps here's part of the problem....

Gov. Perry cut 75% of firefighters budget back in March.

www.rawstory.com...

also...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
There is ash falling on my yard out of a clear blue sky.

About 30 minutes later, the sky is now orange and so smokey it burns my nose. The ash fall is getting heavier.
I would prefer a hurricane to this #. My 13 year old said it looks all end of the worldsy.
edit on 7-9-2011 by Neysa because: (no reason given)

Interactive fire map
edit on 7-9-2011 by Neysa because: add map

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join