It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.S. Soldier Marries Iraqi Woman

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
From Iraq the news is not always good or inspirational. Death, Destruction, Terrorism. War War and more War. Today a news item getting little air time in the media opens a window into the human side of a land torn by war and conflict. A young American soldier named Robert Hall, 23 met an Iraqi woman Vivian Mansour, 21, Fell in love and they have married..

ABCNEWS.com

PORT ORCHARD, Wash. Aug. 22, 2004 � A Washington state soldier has married the Iraqi woman he met and fell in love with while in Baghdad.

Robert Hall, 23, says he knew within a month that he would marry Vivian Mansour, 21, of Baghdad, even though at first neither spoke a word of each other's language.

Hall, an Army reservist who earned a Bronze Star for meritorious service during his one-year tour, said he's never been happier. The two were married here Saturday.

"I never in my life saw this coming," he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Despite all that we know about the conflict in Iraq, we are all human and love can always find a way to bring people together.

The war in Iraq has divided people, brought anger hatred and shown the ugly side of humanity on all sides. But amid all of this and despite the challenges ahead, We should wish this young couple well, may they have a long, loving future together.

[edit on 22-8-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
That tells people that not all Iraqis are muslin but also cristians, and life must go on war or not war.

It will be more couples coming from Iraq the longer our troops stay there, and that is part of nature.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Just another horny, young g.i. looking to get his rocks off. She can't even speak friggin english. He's got money and a job, she's got something he definatly wants. Thats all it is about. Plain and simple

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Id like to see the Visa application for that one!

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
With all the marriage's that occured from WW-I, WW-II, Korea and Vietnam I am surprised at the cynical view taken by responders to this ATSNN story. There is not a thing wrong with these two falling in love - good for them.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix
With all the marriage's that occured from WW-I, WW-II, Korea and Vietnam I am surprised at the cynical view taken by responders to this ATSNN story. There is not a thing wrong with these two falling in love - good for them.

If you were reffering to my Visa remark, I was making a joke about homland securitybeing pretty strict about citizenship and obtaining a Visa for a person of middle eastern decent is almost impossible unless a work Visa is in question.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Well it has nothing to do with love but with money.

I'm sure most poor Iraqi women in Iraq would immediately marry the first soldier they see in order to be taken over to the states.

The Iraqis could care less how many US Soldiers die... as long as the free food keeps flowing.

To bad the food couldn't of been used for our hungry people here at home.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I wonder how long before Bush starts claiming to have introduced them both?

"The War on terror has had some great outcomes. By invading Iraq we have freed this woman to marry this soldier. Thanks to me they have become husband and wife".

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedOctober90
Well it has nothing to do with love but with money.

I'm sure most poor Iraqi women in Iraq would immediately marry the first soldier they see in order to be taken over to the states.

The Iraqis could care less how many US Soldiers die... as long as the free food keeps flowing.

Realize, you're stereotyping. How do you know she's poor or from a poor family? How can you say Iraqis don't care how many US soldiers die, just like anyone else in the world they fight when driven to do so and probably realize that US soldiers are young kids better than Americans do because Americans always see the officers on TV whereas Iraqis always see the grunts on the ground.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Once again I must agree with taibunsuu. So many of you jump to conclusions as though your grand wealth of knowledge and experience gives you the right to pass immediate judgment on others. You've read a few lines about two people whom you've never met and you're already willing to predict the very nature (and sometimes the outcome) of their relationship. There doesn't seem to be all that much good news these days, and when a nice story finally finds it's way into the mainstream there will always be those who try to find the negative in it. Shame on all of you "glass is half empty" types, and thanks to UM_Gazz for posting this story

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger

Originally posted by Phoenix

If you were reffering to my Visa remark, I was making a joke about homland securitybeing pretty strict about citizenship and obtaining a Visa for a person of middle eastern decent is almost impossible unless a work Visa is in question.

Inner quote: Yeah, why is this a surprise to some people? This happens in every war. Congratulate them and wish them well. Couples like this may be the key to eventually bridging the cultrual gaps between the West and the Middle East.

Outer quote: She won't have to apply for anything to enter the U.S. She's married to him; as his spouse, she's automatically a U.S. citizen now. In fact, she has dual citizenship now, as both a U.S. citizen and an Iraq citizen (depending on how often Saddam Heussein bothered to keep records that didn't pertain to himself...)

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 01:59 AM
link   
This is such a sweet story.
I've seen this happen in my home country, Bosnia.
One of my good highschool friends married an american soldier. She worked on american army base near our hometown of Tuzla, she met him there, they fell in love and got married. They now have two kids and are very happy. She is muslim, he is christian but neither of the families had a problem with it. He was very well accepted in her family, they live in USA but visit Bosnia often. Her family went to USA a few times too. Love knows no language bariers, country borders, different religions and all that. To quote Vivian Mansour from the above article: "Heart first". It is that simple.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 04:33 AM
link   
If it was an american female soldier marrying a Iraqi man would your atitude be the same?

Just curious.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
I wonder how long before Bush starts claiming to have introduced them both?

"The War on terror has had some great outcomes. By invading Iraq we have freed this woman to marry this soldier. Thanks to me they have become husband and wife".

Haha, good one Netchicken lol..

On a serious note though, its good to see something like this come out of iraq. Best of luck to them

Rynaldo

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
So they guy become a muslim convert. You can't marry a muslim woman unless you become muslim too.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Yeah, and my Catholic father wasn't supposed to marry my Protestant mother.... LOL. Let's just say that my mother carried my father's last name for over 15 years and neither of them converted lol. She's an American now and probably knows that here those "laws" mean very little. If her family and friends can't understand that then just let them hang out in their wadis wearing their veils. Meanwhile she'll be here showing off her pretty smile and enjoying her new rights to express herself and all of her opinions

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by WisdomMaster
So they guy become a muslim convert. You can't marry a muslim woman unless you become muslim too.

read the news, dude, the woman was a Christian. Duh.

Besides, you CAN marry a muslim woman if you are of a faith that only accepts One God (christians included). I heard this from a muslim.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Some of you guys are very, very sad! For starters, many of the people over there do not agree with what their military and their government is doing any more than some of us back what Bush does...what the hell is wrong with some of you!? They have no more control over what their government does than we do ours.....just because we see some of them in the streets dancing and chanting against Americans...doesn't mean they all feel that way....our own country has similar street havoc over things but it doesn't mean we all feel the same way as the ones dancing do...secondly, people fall in love...so what, it happens

top topics

join