It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The WOW signal, possibly the ONE real piece of evidence for extraterrestrial intelligence

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
EXCERPT FROM WIKIPEDIA:
en.wikipedia.org...!_signal

"The Wow! signal was a strong narrowband radio signal detected by Dr. Jerry R. Ehman on August 15, 1977, while working on a SETI project at the Big Ear radio telescope of The Ohio State University.[1] The signal bore expected hallmarks of potential non-terrestrial and non-solar system origin. It lasted for the full 72-second duration that Big Ear observed it, but has not been detected again. The signal has been the subject of significant media attention. Amazed at how closely the signal matched the expected signature of an interstellar signal in the antenna used, Ehman circled the signal on the computer printout and wrote the comment "Wow!" on its side. This comment became the name of the signal.[1]"

This is the audio approximation of the signal on Youtube

www.youtube.com...
edit on 4-9-2011 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-9-2011 by openminded2011 because: modified content

edit on 4-9-2011 by Asktheanimals because: edited tags and added source link

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by openminded2011
he Wow! signal was a strong narrowband radio signal detected by Dr. Jerry R. Ehman on August 15, 1977, while working on a SETI project at the Big Ear radio telescope of The Ohio State University.[1] The signal bore expected hallmarks of potential non-terrestrial and non-solar system origin. It lasted for the full 72-second duration that Big Ear observed it, but has not been detected again. The signal has been the subject of significant media attention.

Amazed at how closely the signal matched the expected signature of an interstellar signal in the antenna used, Ehman circled the signal on the computer printout and wrote the comment "Wow!" on its side. This comment became the name of the signal.[1]

www.youtube.com...

If you're gonna cite Wikipedi you best be sourcing it. Your post reminds me of failed college papers

The Wow! signal was a strong narrowband radio signal detected by Dr. Jerry R. Ehman on August 15, 1977, while working on a SETI project at the Big Ear radio telescope of The Ohio State University.[1] The signal bore expected hallmarks of potential non-terrestrial and non-solar system origin. It lasted for the full 72-second duration that Big Ear observed it, but has not been detected again. The signal has been the subject of significant media attention. Amazed at how closely the signal matched the expected signature of an interstellar signal in the antenna used, Ehman circled the signal on the computer printout and wrote the comment "Wow!" on its side. This comment became the name of the signal.[1]

Here's your video embedded. It's magic and I'm a magician!

edit on 4-9-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I will cite Wikipedia gladly, but I cant cite the source of the transmission if you dont mind.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Is this plagiarism?

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

reply to post by Swills

I will cite Wikipedia gladly, but I cant cite the source of the transmission if you dont mind.

I see where you went wrong, you copy and pasted the YouTubers description or so it would seem, but the YT description is lacking the [1] your post has. So what's what? Either way, you need to give a QUOTE or better yet, an EX-TEXT when posting thoughts that aren't your own.

And I'm definitely no expert on this particular subject, but is this really the audio from that transmission? I love YT, but it's not to be trusted 7 out 10 times, imo.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud
Is this plagiarism?

Only original thoughts aren't.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Since Wikipedia is user submitted content, I would imagine its plagiarism somewhere in the line of information. I just cut and paste the info about the signal, no intention to plagiarize, just to inform. I am still new to posting and if I offended anyone my apologies.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012

Is this plagiarism?

So its a CTR+C CTR+V jobber.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Is this plagiarism?

Does it matter? Did you watch it? Listen to it? No S & F's but, thanks for bringing this to my attention OP. I don't understand why people can't just comment instead of feeling a need to bring out other peoples faults? If I went through your threads, I can guarantee that I could find instances where you didn't source, as I haven't all the time either, get over yourself.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Does it matter? Did you watch it? Listen to it?

Yes, many times. Are you suggesting that this is the first time this has been posted on ATS and is brand new.
This is old. And on top of that the OP is lazy. So YES tome it does matter..

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Is this plagiarism?

Does it matter? Did you watch it? Listen to it? No S & F's but, thanks for bringing this to my attention OP. I don't understand why people can't just comment instead of feeling a need to bring out other peoples faults? If I went through your threads, I can guarantee that I could find instances where you didn't source, as I haven't all the time either, get over yourself.

Umm, yeah it does matter to ATS. In fact, it's in their rules. And those of us who have started threads have prolly been hit by the rule police, aka Mods, about posting others work. I got a feeling a Mod will find this thread sooner or later and post the rules and whatnot.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

Is this plagiarism?

Umm, yeah it does matter to ATS. In fact, it's in their rules. And those of us who have started threads have prolly been hit by the rule police, aka Mods, about posting others work. I got a feeling a Mod will find this thread sooner or later and post the rules and whatnot.

If they do, great, it will make user content better, but, it isn't up to the "wanna-be mods" to police the work. Just alert the real mods to it if it bothers you that much.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

If they do, great, it will make user content better, but, it isn't up to the "wanna-be mods" to police the work. Just alert the real mods to it if it bothers you that much.

And you should do the same. Alert the mods. Tell them what the wanna be mod (with the chicken profile) is playing sheriff... You should follow your own advice.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I have had the wow signal tattoo'd on the back of my neck for the last 9 years

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Armadall
I have had the wow signal tattoo'd on the back of my neck for the last 9 years

Pic Please...

Seriously, I'd love to see that.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
your only posting 34 year old news no dramas!

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Yes, true the real Mods will step in at some point. I was the first poster and I wanted to point out the flaws in his post. Nothing wrong with educating someone.

So thanks to you, we keep derailing this thread, which is also against the rules. I expect ROAD CLOSED signs on all of our posts in the near future as well.

So what did you accomplish? Defending the OPs right to not source/quote material that didn't originate with him? Good job

link   
reply to post by openminded2011

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but i remember scientists discovering some kind of sound they thought was coming from out of space, and well long story short it was a man-made sound that our equipment was accidentally picking up. More then likely not the same, but i hope still relevant in some way to you.

link   

Originally posted by Swills

he Wow! signal was a strong narrowband radio signal detected by Dr. Jerry R. Ehman on August 15, 1977, while working on a SETI project at the Big Ear radio telescope of The Ohio State University.[1] The signal bore expected hallmarks of potential non-terrestrial and non-solar system origin. It lasted for the full 72-second duration that Big Ear observed it, but has not been detected again. The signal has been the subject of significant media attention.

Amazed at how closely the signal matched the expected signature of an interstellar signal in the antenna used, Ehman circled the signal on the computer printout and wrote the comment "Wow!" on its side. This comment became the name of the signal.[1]

www.youtube.com...

If you're gonna cite Wikipedi you best be sourcing it. Your post reminds me of failed college papers

The Wow! signal was a strong narrowband radio signal detected by Dr. Jerry R. Ehman on August 15, 1977, while working on a SETI project at the Big Ear radio telescope of The Ohio State University.[1] The signal bore expected hallmarks of potential non-terrestrial and non-solar system origin. It lasted for the full 72-second duration that Big Ear observed it, but has not been detected again. The signal has been the subject of significant media attention. Amazed at how closely the signal matched the expected signature of an interstellar signal in the antenna used, Ehman circled the signal on the computer printout and wrote the comment "Wow!" on its side. This comment became the name of the signal.[1]

Here's your video embedded. It's magic and I'm a magician!

Giving us a reference from a site that we do not know is not proof of any thing. Give us the link and tell us why it cannot be of extra terrestrial origins.

I hate your title because their is plenty of proof of extra terrestrials. Such as this crop circle.
members.ozemail.com.au...
We sent out a coded message in space, I wish I could remember the name of it. On it we put a representation of our DNA some of our technology, the planets location and some other stuff that I cannot remember. Then we got back this crop circle. www.google.com...://www.greatdreams.com/crop/Chilbolton2001baa_2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.greatdreams.com/crop/close-encounters .htm&h=501&w=265&sz=61&tbnid=dNYx0_y93mFm2M:&tbnh=90&tbnw=48&prev=/search%3Fq%3DChilbolton%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=Chilbolton&docid=YV0h_cn7vS s1cM&sa=X&ei=FDxkTsPFHKSqsQL8tPWICg&ved=0CEsQ9QEwCQ&dur=583

Their is all so this one, their is no way this could have been done by a some blanks, even professional crop circle artist said their is no way any human could produce this. The wheel you see is a binary coded message. I fergot what it says and the name of but I am sure you will run into bolth of these pictures if you do some research on crop circles.
www.fromthestars.com...

Miss naming your thread to get people to look at it will only make them angry. I would advise you to not use the same miss leading spin tactics the main stream media does.
edit on 4-9-2011 by 8ILlBILl8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

And you should do the same. Alert the mods. Tell them what the wanna be mod (with the chicken profile) is playing sheriff... You should follow your own advice.

Children being silly aren't mod problems and I won't be bothering them with you, I was merely stating that if you two have such a huge problem with this thread, then alert the mods.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join