It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bug Chasers. Homosexuals who want HIV.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I saw some statistics on Oprah recently which said that compared to the 1980s it's not all doom and gloom.
The average life expectancy of somebody diagnosed as HIV-positive back then was 18 months.
Now it is 22 years.
The infection in all Western communities has been reduced by 90% of what it was.

However, that being said, there are remaining areas of great concern.
India is catching up to the southern African epidemic rates, and Eastern Europe and the former USSR are troublesome.

As far as gay men are concerned, the incidence has been reduced in Australia, stabilized in other Western/industrialized nations, but it has increased in the USA.
What is wrong with the North Americans?

People are still trying to find out, but here is one clip:

edit on 7-9-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
The worst thing about reports that only look for HIV in one community, or distance the virus on binaries like "guilty/innocent" victims is that they create space for more distancing and denialism.

Let me mention the Oprah interview (The new faces of HIV/Aids) on the previous page, and each one of those middle-aged women did not use condoms, because they thought they did not fit the "profile" of somebody who gets HIV.

So before looking at gays, or "bug-chasers": look in the mirror.

We are all living with the virus.
edit on 7-9-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Im not going to watch these gay men speak in the documentaries. But I am wondering what are some of the reasons they would want to catch AIDs/hiv. I heard rumor a few years ago,the rumor is that if you catch aids you get paid for it,so you do not go to a workplace,not sure if that is true but that is the only reason I can think anyone would want it.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
"The average life expectancy of somebody diagnosed as HIV-positive back then was 18 months.
Now it is 22 years. "

That news may not be all good. With aid/hiv victims living longer that means they have more time to spread.

Average age to start having sex is around 18 (adulthood in america) and then if the person is living for another 22 years that is a life of 40 years alot longer than the life of 19 years. Alot more time to spread.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by gossipnancy

I don't think so.
The people who spread it most have a very high viral load.
Although everybody who is HIV-positive is infectious, the viral load can be reduced in any community.
The people who are most infectious are not the long-term survivors on ARV medication.
They are the people who recently got infected and haven't developed anti-bodies, and they are usually untested.
HIV is most likely to be spread by people who are not even aware that they have it.

Actually less than 5 percent of global HIV infection is homosexual.
Most is spread amongst heterosexuals in sub-Saharan Africa and India, where culture and religion forbids condoms and women's rights.
So many men are forced to be "gift-givers"; and many married women are forced to essentially be "bug chasers".
Most of these people do not know their HIV status.

I think it's absolutely disgusting to argue that children should be orphaned, when the mother can survive for many years on medication.
What kind of morality and logic is that?
No wonder the US is no longer a leader in the field of HIV and AIDS.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join