It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something weird is happening with time, or am I going mad?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by quadagent
The most reasonable theory that I've ever seen, although it's distastefully as I pass through my latter forties, is that it's all based upon perception and basic math. LiberalSceptic was close with their answer, but it has less to do with "knowledge" and more to do with time experienced.

The theory goes like this; to a four year old, one year represents 25% of their life experience, so that year is perceived to be significantly "longer" than to a forty year old where that same year represents 2.5% of life experience. Because each successive year represents a lessening portion of total life experience, they perceptually seem "shorter."

Also repetitive routines add to this perception, i.e. a very regimented work schedule, work responsibility, etc. Nothing like going to work and realizing you've done the exact same thing for the last ten years with little variation.

Unfortunately, I've come to the conclusion that the only things that alter this perception are events that catastrophically alter our schedule, and rattle our perception of events in our life, i.e. death of a loved one, major accidents, sever life changing events, pretty much all the things we *don't* want to perceive as passing slowly...

What you wrote about the percentage sounds very reasonable. So easy.

My thought about the "knowledge/information" is that it in some way are "adding mass" to ones mind/consciousness and thus warps space-time, just like a planet or star. Though much less and perhaps in another dimension. Something that we can not feel, but it still effects time, and we do notice time.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by quadagent

I appreciate your perspective. But this is a notion that is stacked on TOP of that sensation... one that I find shared with people who are significantly older and younger than myself.

I remember in the early 80's people discussing what you are discussing, as well as being able to observe it myself.

The change people are talking about that they have noticed is something much more recent and something that is layered on top of the normal individual perception.

Please... to those of you trying to dismiss this... you are acting like Aunty Shrew in the Secret of NIMH where the girl was trying to tell her that her brother was sick, but she kept telling her to hush and asking the older sibling what was going on. Perhaps stop for a moment and just *listen* to people. Just listen... stop trying to determine based on what you know so far, what they must be experiencing.

Please... listen for a change. This isn't directed at you really, but those who are constantly assuming they have a better insight into what others are experiencing than those people do themselves. Consider how we used to treat people who had certain psychiatric differences... or the extreme confusion over synesthesia prior to discovering that these people really *do* see and experience things that others don't.

Namaste

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

Everyones perception of time is very slightly different.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
tbh ive been thinking the same thing m8. Its certainly something that gets the old mind ticking literally.
regards :kayak.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedoctorswife
Firstly, i dont make many threads, so mods i hope ive posted this in the right forum
Ive got to get this out , just to see if anyone else is experiencing the same as me. This has been a "situation" that has pestered me for the last few years.
LIiterally, it feels as thought time is speeding up at an incredible pace in my world. I know that some say that the older you get the faster time seems to be going by. But i cant believe it goes this fast.
Im seeing a friend this week who i havent seen for six weeks, and it feels like a week, last Sunday feels like a day or two ago, my life is flying past me.
Its really bizarre and i hope i dont sound like im nuts. Has it affected anyone else? Perhaps its just my imagination, but it feels real.

Greetings thedoctorswife. No, you are not alone. I too used to think the old adage, "the older you get the faster times goes." Well not anymore. And, that's not all. The clocks on our house, all ran by batteries, are all on different times every few days. We reset them all, from the TV time on the channel that gives time and date, and in a few days that are all off again. I took my wrist watch in and had a new battery installed in it. A few days ago we took a trip to a nearby State for an outing. On the way back, I looked at my watch and noticed it was 4 hours late. I reset it from the wife's cell phone, the next morning it was OK, but the wife's wrist watch was off by an hour and a half.

Time is not only speeding up, it is changing constantly. I think it is the magnetic field of Earth changing. We have all had dizzy spells. The end is near, I can feel it.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I think I know why time appears to be speeding up! It is because we are loosing our memory, with all the chemicals in the water, aluminum in our environment we are all just getting Alzheimer's disease. Time sure lasted when we were young and healthy. I believe this is the real reason time seems to appear to speed up.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I'm with you on this 110% all the way I feel the EXACT same thing, so does my wife, my family, my friends, co-workers, literally 95%+ of the people I have mentioned it to are feeling the same thing. This is for real in my opinion although we can't be sure of what's really going on. Its quite intense though and it's getting faster, I started noticing it a few years ago when I started to wake up and read about such topics and every year I have felt it speeding up but I have to say 2011 has been fastest by far, and I thought 2010 was fast but 2011 is killing it.

I believe the best explanation for time acceleration I've heard of was by a man named 'Ian Lungold' and his in-depth video lectures about the Mayans calendar of Consciousness and Creation (Not the 2012 one..), although most people on ATS will probably discredit him and say he's a hoaxer I really connected with what he had to say and feel it makes a lot of sense.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedoctorswife
Firstly, i dont make many threads, so mods i hope ive posted this in the right forum
Ive got to get this out , just to see if anyone else is experiencing the same as me. This has been a "situation" that has pestered me for the last few years.
LIiterally, it feels as thought time is speeding up at an incredible pace in my world. I know that some say that the older you get the faster time seems to be going by. But i cant believe it goes this fast.
Im seeing a friend this week who i havent seen for six weeks, and it feels like a week, last Sunday feels like a day or two ago, my life is flying past me.
Its really bizarre and i hope i dont sound like im nuts. Has it affected anyone else? Perhaps its just my imagination, but it feels real.

Well, this sounds pretty normal. times are bad, people are busy just staying afloat, and stress and worry do affect perception of everything, so, look at your life and ask yourself what's affecting how you see your world. So, in your case, I'd say there's nothing out of the ordinary going on. that said, I've felt the veil, if you will, getting thinner. had an experience last night..can't remember enough of it to lay it out here, but, as someone who's had OBE's remote-viewed spontaneously, and had all manner of visitations and so on..it felt like one of "those"..as we get closer to the 10th anniversary of 9/11, I think some beings are slipping into our reality to witness an event. something may happen..could be time-travelers, dimensional-travelers, whatever, and their presence would disrupt those of us sensitive enough to feel it. who knows..my eyes and 6th sense(s) are open, though. something's going down..

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Oh wow....I'm glad I stumbled into this thread, because this is something I had been thinking a lot about recently.
The last year and then some, has just flown by so fast, I can't quite believe it.
I'm 26 years old, and wouldn't consider that to be too old.

The kids summer holidays feels like 3 weeks ago, but nooo...3 months have gone by! It's down right scary actually, to see that so many feel the same way.

There's 'time going fast when you're having fun' ...but this....this feels like more than that!

Good thread op.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Time actually doesn't exist. Time is a mental construct of man to try and make sense in a confusing and random world.

To distort what we think of as time is very easy with the proper concoction of plants or chemicals.

Excellent post and my thoughts exactly, i say this to people all the time.
star for you

Originally posted by nyancat
I think I know why time appears to be speeding up! It is because we are loosing our memory, with all the chemicals in the water, aluminum in our environment we are all just getting Alzheimer's disease. Time sure lasted when we were young and healthy. I believe this is the real reason time seems to appear to speed up.

also this is very possible, I never thought of it like that. I have definitely noticed lately that i am much much more tired and groggy than I used to be, even say 3 years ago. When i go out in the street I find it hard to think straight and purely sometimes it feels like something is stopping me from doing so. Like there is a force i'm fighting with.
edit on 5/9/11 by Detrucci because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I do not "feel" it, but something that always happens with me is this: I will think something happened a week ago, and it turns out it was months ago. That could just be me, and it happens very often. It is unnerving to say the least, because sometimes people look at me strangely.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I know the feeling but its time that is going fast, its just our busy schedules. People used to have more time in their lives. Now it seems you always have somewhere to be, or something to do. Sometimes I just stop and look around, and see everyone running doing whatever you have to do. You would be surprised sometimes how rarely one actually stops doing something and takes the time to just take a breath and enjoy that exact moment

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
How you're saying you feel is exactly how I have felt. I wasn't able to get it off my mind. Everything I thought about revolved around time and how fast it was moving. My guidance counselor gave me the same thing saying as you get older time moves faster but this has to be different because I am only 17 and it started when I was 15. I was diagnosed with depression and given meds for it and it made me stop thinking about it but time still is moving just as fast. When you said a week would pass and you felt like it was one day, thats exactly like what it felt like for me. I have no idea the cause of it and I didn't realize any one else felt like that.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanuckTruthSeeker
I know the feeling but its time that is going fast, its just our busy schedules. People used to have more time in their lives. Now it seems you always have somewhere to be, or something to do. Sometimes I just stop and look around, and see everyone running doing whatever you have to do. You would be surprised sometimes how rarely one actually stops doing something and takes the time to just take a breath and enjoy that exact moment

Except I have less in my life now to distract me. I have begun meditating and constantly take time to take a breath and enjoy the moment (I go visit the creek behind work during work a couple of times a day while at work).

Not everyone who is experiencing this have busy schedules or are too wrapped up in "day to day" life or TV. I don't watch or even own TV, I have no children, I have no significant social demands that aren't at my whim, no family demands, reasonable work hours, and plenty of time to sit and contemplate and just... watch.

And I feel all of us swooshing along quicker and quicker. In fact, it seems to me that those who *aren't* noticing this are the ones who are still with their heads down so focused on chasing politics, sports, money, etc that haven't picked up on it yet. Even this isn't consistent of course since everyone's path is different... just a trend.

Perhaps you know the feeling on a surface level, but haven't stopped enough to pay attention to it the way those of us who *have* slowed down in response to the sensation have. I specifically quit my former job, sold virtually everything, and finally moved to my "dream location" partially because of what I started to sense happening around me.

Namaste Friend.
edit on 5-9-2011 by ErgoTheConfusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

edit on 5-9-2011 by daggyz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I put it down to technology.

"Our perception of time has changed"

So in essence we are viewing time and how it is being presented differently. I know certainly from my own past I used to have more time to ponder things however it seems now that we live in an age where every millisecond has to be accounted for something (all programmers will be familiar with a 'tick' and the fun that goes along with coding stuff around time).

I believe in the past we weren't being pushed (and driven ourselves) to get "more done in less" time. In the past we completed a task and then had the freedom to reflect on what we had achieved and life in general...

We were more (easily) satisfied by our achievements and more willing to face our challenges.

However with the advent of technology and this attitude that we are not achieving anything tangible unless we can do more in less time.

People obsessed with checking their mail, forums, facebook, twitter and for some of us, blogging to death what we are about to do, have done and will do...all before we do it.. (phew!).

So we barely have time to catch our breath and when some of us "OLD FARTS" stand back (or fall back) we notice stuff is moving really fast around us...

At least it is for me or I am finally realising that I am in fact (drum roll) turning into a...Grumpy Old Man

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

You're not going mad, I've been experiencing a similar feeling. Time seems to be going by way too quickly. I was actually listening to Coast to Coast the other night, and they were talking about THIS EXACT SAME THING! I forgot who the guest for the night was, but he had some interesting things to say about time holograms and whatnot.

But yes, I feel like time is going be considerably faster than it used to.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Time is faster now than it was 6000 years ago. At this rate the earth is going to shake itself apart in 300 years.

They did tests to prove it somewhere but I can't find it again.

This is why Christians believe the earth was created recently and yet carbon dating (on current time) shows it wasn't .
edit on 5-9-2011 by daggyz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanuckTruthSeeker

Well I think people had quite allot to do "back in the days" as well.
F.ex just a thing like getting food would be a rather big hassle, since there were no fastfood restaurants or takeout/delivery places, shopping malls with the shelves filled with different kinds of meat/fish/bread.
People had to cook and make an effort every day.
Also people had shorter lives before.
Many families had allot more kids than is usual today, also a big time consumer.

Except the part of everyone only thinking about money today and thus working allot, I think many people have much more spare time today than before.

Though this is just my thoughts and nothing I now for a fact, since I did not live that far "back in the days" so I can say for sure.
Perhaps most of them just relaxed all the day.
But that is not what i have heard about my ancestors. They seemed to have more then plenty going on.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
No it isn't time or age it's creation. Creation is speeding up. This isn't to do with her problem though...

I really think her problem is she isn't giving herself more time. If you get involved in something at work, time will fly by and you will look at the time and be shocked how quickly it has gone, where as if there isn't work you sit and twiddle your thumbs looking at the clock constantly, and trust me it can turn into a very long shift. She should drop some activities that are pre-occupying her from taking time outs.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join