It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something weird is happening with time, or am I going mad?

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
i dont think it sums up much of anything brettrix, because we dont know how long we're going to live,so the first 24hrs could be your last 24hrs and babies and children dont perceive reality the way it really is out there in the world. they are protected and sheltered from whats really going on around them, so they cannot accurately perceive anything about the passage of time...
edit on 6-9-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Ghost Who Walks
reply to post by thedoctorswife

I'm 50 next year and I think back to 25 years ago when I was getting married and how those years have raced by.
Two children, one 18 the other 21 and how I've watched them grow.

Considering that male life expectancy is around 75 years or so, I often wonder if these next 25 years will go as fast as the last 25!

Logic should tell you that the next 25 aught to feel much shorter than the previous 25. In fact they may feel more like 10 years, or less. I say don`t blink and make the best of them.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
i think its because of the vibration of conscience, i feel a change along with many others. this frequency we live on is vibrating faster each day. maybe like a sense animals have. maybe a change in evolution
what ever it is, i feel you
and im excited for w.e life may bring, whether be nothing, or a huge jump in spiritual insight.
w.e it might be, I'm here, and your all here, so lets do this together

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
It's not time, it's our minds! We're in too much of a hurry all of the time.

Slow down.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
and its not like this "logical" reasoning makes sense to me, time has not done this my entire life, only fairly recently , has time been speeding up like crazy, like huge boost, when i meditate a hour can fly by and it would only feel like a few minutes.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
more! more! more! faster! faster! faster! screams the brainwashing media, as the governments and cooperations crack their money whips against our backs < thats why time seems to be going by faster...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SinkingSun

Slow down.

Il say it again, my life is quite slow compared to others and ive never been so chilled. I will concede that time most definitely travels faster the older you get, but my issue is that the last few years have gone extremely quicker than previous ones.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedoctorswife

Slow down.

Il say it again, my life is quite slow compared to others and ive never been so chilled. I will concede that time most definitely travels faster the older you get, but my issue is that the last few years have gone extremely quicker than previous ones.

I know how you feel...

It is absolutely normal to feel this way, as all us oldies experience this ..

Perhaps not a good feeling for some, but we can't change this phenomena. Not yet anyway.

All our senses are "Logarithmic" (Not Linear) in nature, this includes our location in ageing, regarding our perception of the time left for each of us...

Definition of the word Logarithmic scale;

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 6-9-2011 by The Matrix Traveller because: Syntax Errors.... my poor English

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
This is a very interesting thread, time is worth contemplating. The clock ticks in our heads only. And the thing about this planet we're often in individual tests on our time frame.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
maybe the earth is moving closer to the event horizon of the gigantic black hole that is at the center of our milky way galaxy!?....and i sure wish my life was "chilled" right now...know any "female doctors" that i can marry?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Slow down.

It's not gonna go fast all the time. There'll be time when it feels that it's just moving too slow.. and even grinding to a halt.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
There are obviously a lot of factors that contribute to the sensation of time speeding up. Most of the ones people have put forward here probably are valid; but each is only part of the larger picture. We may never know the whole picture, until the time is right for us.

For sure most of us are on a treadmill; even those who claim to be so serene all of the time. If you allow any input from mass media you are going to experience being pushed, shoved and cajoled into doing something you might otherwise not have had any interest in. If you have any kind of electronic devices on in your home or proximity; then your whole being is awash in electrical stimulus and pollution.

Fortunately, since I stopped drinking alcohol a few months ago, I have re-discovered the knack of just sitting idly, peacefully, doing nothing more than looking at the flowers sway in a breeze, or watch the bees sashay from one flower to the next; all without the slightest guilt over being "idle". I think for many of us, our rhythms of life are no longer rhythmic. There is no down time. Its all go; full speed ahead.

Being in tune with nature means having ebbs as well as flows. It means being passive as well as aggressive. I'm not sure if the perception of life speeding up can be changed, but it can be less stressful. After all, this journey we are on is not that which is depicted in commercials and movies; but something that is in reality a mystery. How it turns out or why it seems the way it is is not for us to know just yet.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
i'm not even sure that time really exists.i think its just a word,a label we put on the rising and setting sun,a way to explain night and day.in outer space,far away from earth and without humans time becomes meaningless.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
There are still 60 seconds in a minute.

I know that as a child i was more aware of time and how it effected my life. Recently i thought about it and it is actually impossible for time to speed up since it is a static unit of measurement. It is like believing that an inch got longer. Imagine saying "inches are longer these days".
edit on 8-9-2011 by Malcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Even by the loosest definition, time is not speeding up. Just think about it for a second and you'll realize no matter how you define time, it is remaining constant. You can do the same amount of things in an hour, travel the same distance, count the same number of seconds, and think the same amount of thoughts in any given period of time as always.

A more accurate statement would be that your memory of time is changing, and this is a very importent distinction. Time distorts easily in memory, and this only happens in hindsight, not in the present. Here, in the 'now', time is not speeding up, as is evidenced by a million different interactions that are all happening at a consistent interval of time.

When someone is in a car accident, they feel as if time slowed down. This Is because your brain commits more detail to memory in a threatening situation. This will make the memory in retrospect appear to have lasted longer than it did, because of the amount of detail available tricks you into thinking it lasted longer. Similarly, if your brain records less details, it can appear as if a shorter span of time has passed.

Imagine your brain as a video camera, that usually records at 30 frames per second, in a car accident your adrenaline rushes and you record memories at 120 frames per second. When your brain plays it back at its normal 30 FPS, it now seems as if this moment was 4 times as long as it was. If your brain skips a lot of extra frames, played back in your mind it will seem like a shorter amount of time. This is not time dilation. This memory dilation.

Nothing has changed in regards to how events unfold. Your day to day life is the same as always. Each minute in the present feels like a minute in the present. Maybe you are getting older, and your memory is less vivid. Maybe your life is routine and your brain doesn't want to save every detail. Maybe you are being drugged and it's affecting your mind.

But to say that time is speeding up is completely, verifiably false. So please stop with this nonsense, unless someone can actually define what time means to them and how it's speeding up.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Firstly, i dont make many threads, so mods i hope ive posted this in the right forum
Ive got to get this out , just to see if anyone else is experiencing the same as me. This has been a "situation" that has pestered me for the last few years.
LIiterally, it feels as thought time is speeding up at an incredible pace in my world. I know that some say that the older you get the faster time seems to be going by. But i cant believe it goes this fast.
Im seeing a friend this week who i havent seen for six weeks, and it feels like a week, last Sunday feels like a day or two ago, my life is flying past me.
Its really bizarre and i hope i dont sound like im nuts. Has it affected anyone else? Perhaps its just my imagination, but it feels real.

I don't know if you're open minded enough to listen to the teachings of other religion, but in Islam, it tells that one of the signs the end is near, is, Time would speed up.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
can you put up a link ^^^ that shows where in the islamic religion,the part thats actually written in the past ,that says time will speed up near the end? and let me add... the world ends everytime someone dies,its gone for them and someone dies every 2 or 3 seconds...of course we live faster,its no mystery,drive down a hell bent get outta my way highway and then compare that to how we lived only 100 yrs ago and its really sad and frightening to realize that "something" or "someone" is "making us" live this way...
edit on 8-9-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Akasirus

I very much like the way you describe the perception of time. You've made some very good points of why it may seem to speed up or slow down.

In the end however, I suspect that our perception is all there is. Perception is everything. It is that which impacts our experience of life.

"Actual" time is nothing more than an abstraction. Sometimes all of life feels like an abstraction. More like a thought than a thing.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Initially, i thought you were being melo dramatic. But you know what?? I do find that the summer went by unusually fast.

Perhaps our perception of time is shrinking?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
time is an illusion,it does'nt even exist,it is'nt real. time is just a human label that we put on the effects of the rising and setting sun and the night and day that its orbital actions creates and time is also used as a weapon, an imaginary weapon that those in power use to control the masses and force some kind of structure upon us and to our working and slaving away for them...

<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join