It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CBS's 60 Minutes interviews Julian Assange regarding US's indictment and criticisms -Link to Video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
This latest interview was rather interesting to me.

Julian Assange, the controversial founder of WikiLeaks, speaks to Steve Kroft about the U.S. attempt to indict him on criminal charges and the torrent of criticism aimed at him for publishing classified documents.

Interview Part 1

Interview Part 2

The MSM in this interview (in my perception) actually seem to paint Assange in a not so terrorist-ic light as he has been in the past. It seemed to me to be a "benefit of the doubt" type of interview. The interview did bring forth the reasons as to why some people seemingly believe he is such a terrorist (MSM fueled imo) but he was able to give his rebuttal to those claims in so many words.

Towards the end of the interview Assange hit pretty hard at the First Amendment of the US Constitution or more the lack thereof these days. I took away from this that at least CBS (by airing this and allowing the notion that "publishers" are no longer publishing content without a veil of redaction) is not saying that it isn't true.

Assange seemed to handle the interview with great tact and professionalism. At your leisure, if you were unable to see the 60 Minutes episode, I present it to the membership to form their own opinion.

Respectfully,
UberL33t
edit on 9/4/2011 by UberL33t because:

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Justice for Assange!

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
A Terrorist..... I think Not.

Foolish ....... Very.

Likely Outcome ......... Doomed, Very Very Doomed.

Lesson Learnt ......... Prison /Jail can open a lot of back doors for you!
edit on 4-9-2011 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
that was a great interview first time i have seen a sit down with Mr Assange. thank you for the link. He does have a very good point, you cant shut down the publishers. think of the where America would be without freedom to publish..free press = free speech.

free the man!
he is the larry flint of leaks.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Sweet find and thanks for posting, but dammit I hate internet commercials! This is why I never watch MSM website news.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

sometimes a short add allows one to get comfy and listen close ....I have to say I am one of the biggest fence flopers you could ever imagine ,when it comes to wikileaks ...I completley hate the feeling and wonder what I should do .......I will continue to follow as they have given us some very good data ....thanks op ....peace

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by studio500
A Terrorist..... I think Not.

Foolish ....... Very.

Likely Outcome ......... Doomed, Very Very Doomed.

Lesson Learnt ......... Prison /Jail can open a lot of back doors for you!
edit on 4-9-2011 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

Is that you being facetious? What about jail and opening a back door?

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

I have to say that the way Wikileaks has been portrayed (against the grain) as it were is quite a difference from the way this interview portrayed Assange and Wikileaks from prior interviews. "Publishers" as it is used in the interview, which I took as mass media forms are blatantly veiled imho. It seems CBS all but confirms.

The term "MSM" is widely known on this site and it's no secret that it is alleged that they "publish" only need to know information of which is often seemingly orchestrated to mold the viewer into a specific belief regardless of the truth of the matter. Of course this is nothing new, however with the "information generation" this is becoming more and more of a daunting task to keep the veil of secrecy intact.

Keep pulling at the veil ATS...it's working, slowly..but hopefully surely.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I watched the Assange interview last night on 60 Minutes. Was shocked that an outfit of the MSM would give Assange voice to his underlying motivations: transparency in government (to keep them honest) and provide a check-and-balance to corruption with free press.

With our consolidated-corporation-controlled media, we've lost the check-and-balance publishing. We should also remind ourselves that at the start of our great country, people printed all types of vitriol that citizens enjoyed debating over. The mantra was that all things can be debated... that's how we weeded out the chaff. Today, people are too scared to print truth and are too damn tired or selfish to debate topics in a constructive manner.

Even though I think Assange is foolish, I appreciate the check-and-balance outlet he became... because our government lacks transparency and does a number of shady things that ought to be held in check internally by ethics panels, by apolitical judges who aren't afraid to touch big topics, or by the voting public.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

What I saw here is that Steve Kroft is displeased that Assange is doing the job that he should be doing, and so he tried to vilify him. Fail!

I think Steve would be better off if he picked on someone his own size mentally. Sorry Steve, but you got your fat paycheck, we have Julian. Unfortunately for Steve, money doesn't help much when you have been made a fool of on your own network show.

Thank you Julian.

top topics

join