It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California pro illegal immigration Dream Act goes to Gov. Jerry Brown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
As a 19 U.S. legal citizen and going into first year of college in two days, I am having trouble getting the aid I need let alone get into some of the classes I need. and now were going to give ILLEGALS MORE OF OUR TAX DOLLARS. with all the cuts to higher education why would we want to spend an additional 40 MILLION DOLLARS a year on undocumented or ILLIGALS. lets give the california residents that are US OR here LEGALLY a chance to go to school. gosh I wonder if I can go to mexico and get their goverment to pay for my education. I think not.

The California state Assembly voted Friday to send Gov. Jerry Brown a bill that allows undocumented immigrant college students to receive publicly funded financial aid. After a lengthy debate, Assembly Bill 131 — the second part of the controversial measure known as the California Dream Act — cleared the lower house on a 45-27 vote. "Today is a wonderful day," said Assemblyman Manuel Pérez, D-Coachella. "Today is a day of hope. Today, there are many students throughout the state of California who are saying, 'It's about time.' " The bill allows access to taxpayer-funded financial aid for students who came to the country before age 16, attended a California high school for at least three years and graduated. Democrats argued that providing such students greater access to higher education would improve the state's economy in the long run by creating a more educated population. Republicans didn't see it that way. They argued that giving scholarships to students who are in the country illegally will encourage more immigrants to come to the state without authorization. They also said it doesn't make sense to subsidize the education of students who aren't allowed to legally work after they graduate. "If we're going to invest in those students we should get some return on the investment when they leave school and go into the workforce," said Assemblyman Curt Hagman, R-Chino Hills. The Assembly's vote approved amendments made in the Senate, intended to address the bill's costs by not allowing graduates of technical schools and adult schools to participate, and delaying implementation until January 2013. Those are provisions Brown had sought. An analysis of the amended bill said it would cost the state $23 million to $40 million a year. The governor signed the first piece of the package in July, allowing undocumented immigrant students access to private financial aid. He said then that he planned to "look very favorably upon" its companion bill, the one the Assembly sent him Friday. Read more: www.miamiherald.com...

California is going down really bad and now California is heading down the drain real bad. I really need to get out of this state.
edit on 4-9-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Star and flag for you my friend! Our own citizens should be getting help!!! It's always about the illegals and what they want and need and to heck with our own citizens who get shoved aside.

Rewarding the parents of illegal children only encourages more illegals to come here. With limiting seatings in colleges, those seats belong to our own children first. Many of our kids desperately need the help that they are giving to someone else.

I wish you luck in your endeavors!

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Who wants to make the bet that California's economy will now worsen at an increased rate now?

I wish you luck OP, hopefully you wont need it though
edit on 4-9-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I think I have heard about this or something like it happining before I think it was in the uk but I am not sure if any one knows what I am talking about can they elaberate please. I forgot all of the details. I know its not the exact same but it may provide insite as to what ca might be facing.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jonco6

What is it? Ya Right now, I don't think Obama is doing a very good job although he did deport more illegal we got got tons of 30 millions illegal immigrants living here. America really need to get out of the middle east and start deploying troops here.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I am having a hard time understanding the thought that illegals do not as well pay taxes.

Do they not drive cars? Are these cars not buying gas? Are these vehicles not being registered/inspected? Are they not living in homes and apartments? These people are being taxed one way or another.

in 2006 Illegal Aliens with fake SS cards whom will never see benefits upon retirement contributed some 27 billion to SS fund that year. Out of a total of 550 billion dollars.

In Texas..You don't have an income tax from the state you have a state sales tax..So Illegal or not you are contributing to this society when you purchase goods here which are taxed.

In the end who really cares if they are Illegal aliens or Citizens. A person with the mindset of crime is going to commit crime no matter who they are or where they come from.. If you are here..Obey the law, Understand and Speak English, Pay the taxes and contribute in this way to society, Don't you dare wave your Mexican flag on our soil in disdain of America...

In the end we are bickering about taxes and who benefits really...No different than the gay agenda arguing about getting the "Benefits" that come along with a marriage.

new topics

top topics

join