It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next generation of workers faces bleak future with more part-time work, says OFL

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by InnerTruths

The only other choice I really have now is to work for myself, create my own business.
Oh No!
You don't mean to become a wicked, evil, depraved capitalist; do you? We cannot have you exploiting the working class by offering a fair days work for a fair days pay, or heaven forbid actually employing other people! Blasphemy!

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

TORONTO - Canada could face a labour shortage within five years as baby boomers retire, even as a younger generation of workers confronts a "bleak" future full of part-time jobs with poor pay and little or no pensions, union leaders warned Sunday on the eve of the Labour Day holiday.

1. A complete contradiction. If a large number of jobs will be vacated this would not mean part time work with little pensions, it would mean a labor shortage and lots of perks.

2. Our Canadian government that does not operate huge debts like the US and has its own banking system, and is full of huge resources, and we could survive with the borders closed, does not get paid to sit around selling gloom and doom. But to make work project, and get economy going by spending money on things that bring in jobs. I suggest building alot of low cost, but beatiful eco villages that would be rent to own, on a sliding scale so all can have beautiful homes in their own areas. Lots of work can be done. Lots to do. Get a move on. And we may need to hire help as well. They're just employees and we're the employer group. Get back to work, do your real job serving the people not the corporations or face arrest. Not doing their job and selling out to corruption and corporate heads is Fraud, Embezzlement, Theft and Treason.

A direct message to our public servant employee, the PM, none of these decisions involve queenie either, she is not a legal owner of anythign and corporate law is treason. She is just a common law mascot, liek a big stuffed Barnie the reptile at a football game! Savvy? Do your real job as hired by us or go to jail.
edit on 4-9-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

I cannot speak to the law in Canada, but in America non compete agreements are sometimes not enforceable. Even if you sign one it may be the the company has no right to make you not be able to find work. In this day and age, you might have an argument that the non compete agreement on a part time job is inhumane to some degree, unless the employer could show how they could actually be damaged by you working for someone else. Also, in America non compete agreements have to have some form of compensation above and beyond your pay to be considered enforceable contracts.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

This is not fantasy. This is not fiction.
With the largess we have been allowed by those who think they are in charge, we have indulged our wildest whims until we find ourselves dropped and discarded , as the wheels shift gears, by this crashing machine.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
Oh No!
You don't mean to become a wicked, evil, depraved capitalist; do you? We cannot have you exploiting the working class by offering a fair days work for a fair days pay, or heaven forbid actually employing other people! Blasphemy!

Sounds great to me! Lets compare who does the most work for the company and pay them the most! Don't forget to include the bonuses...

By 'fair day's work' I'm sure you mean 'work you until you drop or until the mean old gov'mint tells me to stop'

And by 'fair's day pay' you mean as little as you can legally get away with. Using whatever underhanded methods you are able to concoct.

We have all listened to the corporatist mantra for decades. We know what you MEAN, regardless of what words you use.
edit on 9/5/2011 by Montana because: more thoughts

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by InnerTruths
I blame the Unions as well..

College and university is a sham. It's just a corporate business, expect they are under the guise of Main St. instead of Wall St.

You do realize unions fight for a living wage not a MINIMUM wage....

You people who sit here and complain about unions seem to forget that they collectively fought and stood their ground for their living wages.

While you bickered amongst yourselves and slashed each others throat for the same piece of the pie.

So while you sit there and have a pity party all by yourself.

I will stand united with my fellow brothers and sisters and wave my union flag proudly.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaanny

I worked for a summer in a union environment but was not unionized, as I was just on contract work for the summer. I gotta say, most (not all) of the guys in the union did get paid twice as much as me (doing the exact same work) but the did twice less the work than us non union contract employees.

My father was in the union. You know what he did while he was "working"? He was playing poker with his buddies in the lunch room. Or he was sleeping, or at the local pub having a pint or two on an "extended" lunch break.

I don't have a problem with unions themselves, per say I suppose, but more the people they are standing for... all the dog f'ers who think they earned to sit on their ass all shift because they worked there for 8 years while the new guy on contract takes his own plus the dog f'ers load...

That's my experience and perspective. Thats why I blame unions. Just so you know, I admire what they stand for, but I dont admire who they are standing for.
They no longer serve the purpose the used to, IMO. At least here in Ontario, especially with labor unions, anyways.

edit on 5/9/2011 by InnerTruths because: spelling

edit on 5/9/2011 by InnerTruths because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   

reply to post by Zaanny

I worked for a summer in a union environment but was not unionized, as I was just on contract work for the summer. I gotta say, most (not all) of the guys in the union did get paid twice as much as me (doing the exact same work) but the did twice less the work than us non union contract employees.

My father was in the union. You know what he did while he was "working"? He was playing poker with his buddies in the lunch room. Or he was sleeping, or at the local pub having a pint or two on an "extended" lunch break.

I don't have a problem with unions themselves, per say I suppose, but more the people they are standing for... all the dog f'ers who think they earned to sit on their ass all shift because they worked there for 8 years while the new guy on contract takes his own plus the dog f'ers load...

That's my experience and perspective. Thats why I blame unions. Just so you know, I admire what they stand for, but I dont admire who they are standing for.
They no longer serve the purpose the used to, IMO. At least here in Ontario, especially with labor unions, anyways.

edit on 5/9/2011 by InnerTruths because: spelling

edit on 5/9/2011 by InnerTruths because: (no reason given)

I don't know what union your referring to. But in the 20 years I have been employed as a union electrician. i have gotten ZERO perks that you speak of. My union halls book hardly ever clear unless there is a lot of summer work.

In this day and age if I cannot make my employer money by WORKING I will not have a JOB. There is NO sitting around playing cards or nooners at the strip club.

I HAVE TO WORK HARD or there is another union brother that will step over me and take my job. If I don't work I don't get paid. I cannot relate to your view on the union because I have never experienced it. Maybe in MOB run New York City or Philly. But not in my Local....

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
This is awesome news for Canadians!

You don't need full time jobs. Full time jobs = Evil life sucking controlling slave masters. No one in America or Canada in fact any country should have a full time job.

Do This: learn to live cheaply not going beyond your means. Never use debt creating credit. Pay for only what you have to have. Use the free time to educate yourself and start your own business. The money is not important as long as you can afford your basic needs. The money will come later. Getting stuck in a full time job for life will harm you the most. You will always be someone elses slave to make money for Them. Your salary will always have a cap that may not give you the things you want or need as the dollar devalues and inflation rises. Take control.
edit on 5-9-2011 by JohnPhoenix because: addition

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
There's going to be a labor shortage, but people are still going to find a hard time finding jobs? That makes no sense at all...except for the fact that most companies these days want 2-5 years of experience for an entry level position.

There won't be a labor shortage.. Governments have been using this myth as an excuse to allow cheaper labor to come in from all over the World. Fact remains Western Nations produce more graduates than the 3rd World, yet it's the 3rd World we need to fill our skilled jobs? I say bull !@% .. nothing more than corporations acting through Government.

Our generation (20's and early 30's) have had our futures decimated by this recession .. not only do we have no livelyhood now, but in the future we will have lost nearly 10 years worth of investment into our own retirements. All the while the Governments continue to hound us with rising costs of living while our wages dive south.

Hopefully we will change something, dismantle the system and cast usury aside. Otherwise the status quo is the best we can hope for....

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

...bull !@% .. nothing more than corporations acting through Government.

...Hopefully we will change something, dismantle the system and cast usury aside. Otherwise the status quo is the best we can hope for....

Great rant! S&

How do you see the status quo? Can you describe it? ...How might such a system be dismantled? ...and what would replace it? Where would the jobs be?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Agreed...but its worse than that. We want the soldiers fighting to all come home...but there are no jobs for them when they get here. And welfare benefits too are being phased out and decreased substantialy

There are not going to be any jobs. New businesses cant get loans, new customers arent working so cant afford to use these businesses. More and more are closing everyday....and then those folks cant afford to use businesses...and it goes on and on and deeper and deeper.

Watch there will be a severely high suicide rate for returning soldiers.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaanny

College and university is a sham. It's just a corporate business, expect they are under the guise of Main St. instead of Wall St.

You people who sit here and complain about unions seem to forget that they collectively fought and stood their ground for their living wages.

While you bickered amongst yourselves and slashed each others throat for the same piece of the pie.

I will stand united with my fellow brothers and sisters and wave my union flag proudly.

I bet you feel the same way about government unions that make more than double the average private sector pay and benefits all while living off the hard work of the private sector.

Govt workers should not make any more than the average private sector citizen.

They are CIVIL SERVANTS are they not?

I don't know many servants that make more than their boss do you?

Anyways great stock market overseas today, I wish you all luck over there.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

I have to agree with you brother. I am recently a hired local, coming up on my 90 days....yeah.............I do not understand alot of it yet, but I am learning quickly........

I used to question the unions motives.....Now since it is paying the bills I have got to be one of the gang....It is not a bad gig if you follow the rules..........

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Hmm,
I have been an IBEW member for quite a while
and to be honest,. for an example in the construction industry.. 70% of the laborers in this industry are
very overpaid.. and the attitude that has evolved is a prime example of why the unions are being attacked.
these people have become very lazy and hide behind the "Union" far too much..
today many expect and feel they are owed a higher wage..
while the non- union workforce can work circles around the productivity of a union labor any day of the week.

To the op,
it would seem to me your best bet is to find an internship,.. if you can..
I am in a position that allows me to oversee the hiring of many employees and experience is the best
way into a job.. unless you are looking to enter an IT position (which has been soo saturated) you need to
bring the bait to catch a real job, which is experiences.
Or consider looking into the blue collar industry, services are Always needed..this cant be bought by China

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
There's going to be a labor shortage, but people are still going to find a hard time finding jobs? That makes no sense at all...except for the fact that most companies these days want 2-5 years of experience for an entry level position.
The only way this works out on both ends of the spectrum is temporarily--it would sort itslf out. But many companies choose to pay their retirees a bit more to keep them on rather than letting experience slink away.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

There are times when the Unions are needed, but there are several places where the Unions cause far more damage than they help. It does cut both ways.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join