It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reflections....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
This is not the America I grew up in.
In 1976 I was 8 years old. I was proud of my bicycle because it had just undergone an awesome transformation. My handed down Schwinn had been decorated with red white and blue streamers woven through the spokes and hanging from the grips of the handlebars. It was very early on July fourth and there were big plans for the day. Time stood still.
Finally the time came and we made the voyage to the small town center of the village that is my home in Michigan and took our place in the staging area of the parade to come. It was a perfect summer day.
By 10 am you could smell the hickory smoke stoked for the barbecue by the lake later in the afternoon. The band was warming up and the communities farmers fired up their machinery decked out in a patriotic tribute to the day and the 200th anniversary of a great nation.
My brothers and I proudly saddled atop our stingrays rode in formation down Michigan Avenue. Past the pharmacy that still had a soda fountain where on days that grandpa had to go to the mill he would buy us all cherry cokes. Past the hardware store that supplied the community with the needed household and farm stuff, nuts and bolts, pipes and fittings, stuff. Past the bank that new you by your family name. not your credit score.
Positioned behind the high school band and a John Deere, waxed and shining green, I was proud.
I went on to serve, stand behind that flag that was so prominent on that parade route that day.
I lived on a farm surrounded by relatives of our patriarch, aunts and uncles all tied to the land of my grandfather, the family farm. It seems like a lost existence, does anyone spend afternoons snapping green beans and shucking corn enjoying lemonade and family anymore?
We were proud, we knew of patriots but their existence has seemed to fade as well.
Since those days I have been through this country coast to coast, desert to swamp. I have gathered memories and friends and been enlightened.
Dont let them take this from us. This our land , our inheritance, our sovereign right. Stand against those that would rather you forget the America you know in return for the bastard they have created.
God Bless you and the united states of America.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by authortobe

Amen...I too was 8 years old in 1976 and I have to say that your recollection of those times brings me back to a time that brings great comfort and hope that we can somehow get back to it. Simply embracing (never letting go) of these valuable memories of better times is pinnacle to the success of our world, our country and most importantly, the starting point for our communities. Along with the freedoms necessary to actively participate in the upholding of the constitution of this great country we must protect our inherent responsibility to our children, our families and our communities. I was blessed to experience what now appears to be the end of an innocence...that frankly, felt good.

I feel lucky to have been there (that time) and I will do whatever it takes to deliver the same to my children. The "undoing" of community and friendships is a horrible legacy to leave.

Very nice post.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MightyQuincunx

thanks, just reflecting

new topics

join