It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Re Posted :Is there a Volcano ready to erupt on the US East Coast?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Info from: TheLonePhantom

Re posting so his info is not lost.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Living in the DC area, I've been monitoring the geological activity in the are ever since the big quake in Mineral, VA.
Please note that I am not a geologist, I'm in fact a computer system administrator.

I've noticed something interesting today I would like to share with you all.

In case you didn't know, the Mineral, VA area is still experiencing tremors since the large quake.

continued here

earthquake.usgs.gov...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 4/5/2011 by dreamfox1 because: info lost in the reposting

edit on Mon Sep 5 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: reposting of large quote with no tags

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamfox1

Any rumbling you may feel today is just the Texas Ranger bats in Boston.

And while I typed that, bases loaded, again.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Thanks for reposting for me.

Here is the map:

Note I have identified a second volcano and marked it on the map with purple.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLonePhantom

Yea thats something i really need to keep an eye on thanks for the info.

Keep us informed here

edit on 4/5/2011 by dreamfox1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I have no experience and not much knowledge of this type of stuff so cant comment at all wether your theory is on the right track or way off course. But it certainly does look interesting how that area right alongside/under those volcanos seems to be active.

I guess youd have to look at past activity in that area, is this amount of activity youve highlighted rare or regular, if its rare then you could be onto something.

Also if one of those canos did go then what would be the damage? Are they in miles of open land or over looking towns etc?

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Like the original earthquake., all these are very shallow earthquakes -only about 5km below the Earth

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
A little more interesting info I found on Wiki Answers when looking for any WV volcanoes. I'm going to repost this here, and let you make your own judgements.

wiki.answers.com...

Is there any volcanoes in West Virginia?
In: West Virginia, Volcanoes [Edit categories]

Answer:

No volcanos in WV but the way it was created is reason for concern and the effects of breaking fault lines can affect us in WV. Read on:

One map shows faults but the REAL question is the SERIOUS MAJOR faultlines that may (well, they say guaranteed to break) have ANOTHER massive earthquake to happen.

The real problem is the one that was originally a line north america was going to split on... but failed. That fault could split the USA from Missippi River (to the ocean) and all the way to the great lakes (Around Toledo/Detroit). Details on the NEW MADRID FAULT which was felt clear over in Washington DC when it let loose... and much of the central US.

As stated in one geological report, "The Rough Creek Graben is an east-west extension of the Reelfoot Rift and appears to be inverted to the east in central Kentucky where Cambrian sediments are thin over the East Continent Rift Basin. Farther to the east, the Rome Trough, also a Cambrian rift graben, extends to the east across Kentucky, northeastward across West Virginia, and into the Olin Basin of Pennsylvania and possibly southern New York."

They are all interconnected and many events are pointing to this ready to happen. All the fish and birds dying and people getting sick from strange smells... which is documented when the CRUST OF THE EARTH is giving way to toxic gasses from deep in the earth. That's what's being released and killing the birds and fish.

Plus, they're sucking the oil and gas out of the ground... DESTABILIZING an already unstable earth crust which is under high pressure and tension. (South America is trying to go west faster than we are and twisting on on North America.)

Once again, I'm not a geologist, and I'm not going to even attempt to make you all believe that I understood 100% of that...but I think just reading the last two paragraphs might shed some light on things. FYI - the answer appears to have been posted in February this year, shortly after all the mass deaths of wildlife.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
All this is very interesting. It is certainly something to think about. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread because if there is the slightest possibility there is a connection, I'd like to know.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
pubs.usgs.gov...

the history of the mountains are interesting really....there's a few very, very old volcanoes.....inactive of course..

I do believe that there's a third point of interest or you map, the area in southwest virginia, believe that's had a few tremors since the big one ( for the area at least) also....

add the ones in colorado that seem to run with them, well, I don't know how the plates would fit together to affect all these areas, but kind of wonder if there isn't something up...
then again, maybe some mining company blew the top off of the wrong mountain, who knows...

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
That's strange, I live in WV around where those quakes were and didn't feel or hear anything, thanks for the info I will be on the lookout....feelout...whatever.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
If you do your homework, you will find no potential for volcanism east of Colorado. What you are talking about here is an ancient long ago dead volcano. There is no link to make here between the recent earthquake which occurred in an expected location.

The tremors are aftershocks and there will be many and they could go on for a year easily at diminishing levels.

The chance this theory has any merit is pretty well non-existent.

Here is a link to a good place to start to learn.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Hmmmm I live in Spotsylvania, didn't hear or feel the 1st one let alone any so called "aftershocks" & I DO know what a quake is having lived on Oahu for 3 years.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
If you do your homework, you will find no potential for volcanism east of Colorado.

I'm perfectly OK with this!!!!! Last thing I want is a volcano popping up in my back yard.

I posted this info in hopes that someone could completely destroy my theory.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
How ironic that you post this...my wife and I were up there just last week looking at the epicenter of the 5.8-5.9 quake on Shannon Hill rd between Mineral and Louisa, Va.

We saw sporadic damage...fallen chimneys, brick facades on ranch style houses had fallen over...

Overall, the area is quite beautiful and charming. In fact, most of the area looks pretty much like it did back in the US Civil War....rolling fields seperated by wood fences and dotted by simple country homes and cross road churches... cows grazing in the field...apple and peach orchards....

Any sudden rise of dormant volcanoes would impact maybe Charlottesville, Gordonsville, Winchester, the Sheannandoah Valley... pretty much quaint towns and country farms and RR lines...of course beyond that is Washington,DC...Richmond... Charleston... Lynchburg...Roanoke...Pittsburg

And the secret mountain lair of the US Govt.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLonePhantom

Originally posted by Blaine91555
If you do your homework, you will find no potential for volcanism east of Colorado.

I'm perfectly OK with this!!!!! Last thing I want is a volcano popping up in my back yard.

I posted this info in hopes that someone could completely destroy my theory.

Good point
I assure you, a volcano should not be on your worry list. You are close to the blast of hot air emanating from DC however. Perhaps some Fire Fighter gear to protect against that is in order.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
If that volcano hasn't erupted in 47 million years, unless it is a caldera it is extinct. It is not impossible for extinct volcanoes to erupt, but the vent that was shut off has to be reopend and it takes a massive earthquake to reactivate an extinct volcano. You will know if it has re-awakened if you see steam vents and if nearby lakes that are deep start heating up. There is usually some kind of sign that a dead volcano has been reborn, its just a matter of wether or not you see the signs before it goes boom.

The entire Appalachian mountain range was formed by 2 plate tectons slamming into eachother causing the 2 landmasses to merge and buckle upwards creating the mountains and a faultline so yes that area has a good probability of being volcanic.

The western faultline in california has been heating up and steam coming from the san andreas fault recently so something might indeed be happening. Geologists and vulcanologists are probably in a buzz about this so i'd check the national geological society and see what they say and what data they have gathered.

I believe something catastrophic is in the works, maybe it could go along with this whole 2012 junk people are so scared over i don't know. Good luck in your research.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
WOW funny you say this! I have always valued living AWAY from volcanoes, I don't like volcanoes at all, period, whether you believe in past lives or not, It is from a past life in Atlantis that has caused the severe fear of Volcanoes, anyways, I was on a trip to VA, specifically the shenandoah national park area. I and my road trip friend had just come from Lurray caverns and were exploring the national park. Unfortunately my camera had died so I was not able to take pictures of the Volcano but it had black smoke coming out, we were at a rather significant high elevation which helped see the volcano that was what first caught our attention as we were driving by. I have never seen a volcano up close before so I asked, is that what I think it is? please tell me it's not! after we were done seeing the beautiful park we stopped back at Lurray to get some of their famous fudge and saw a pamphlet and in the pamphlet there was information of that Volcano. It said they actually did tours, of course I declined going on that tour for obvious reasons lol. I said to my friend, should a dormant volcano be smoking like that? it looked like a forest fire which I thought it was at first.

I don't know if dormant ancient volcanoes smoke like that but anyone can do a quick call to shenandoah national park and get the proof they need that, that volcano is looking a little active.
edit on 9/5/2011 by ISis12RA12ELohim because: to add something

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ISis12RA12ELohim

I was shocked by your post because I used to visit that region when I was very little and I couldn't recall anything about a volcano so I Googled it. Here is an informative site about the geology and volcanic history of the states and this is the page for Virginia. vulcan.wr.usgs.gov...

I couldn't find anything there indicating the volcano was anything but extinct but of course that is a history site not a news site. I wish I knew what you had seen. It's a shame your camera gave out. I got sick of my cameras doing that to me on trips. I am not sure the camera would have done a good job capturing what you saw, anyway. Smoke like you described sounds like it might not show up well in a landscape photo. ETA: is it possible you simply saw a lot of mist rising from the area? It's been over thirty five years since I was there but I remember the trees seemed to give off a lot of mist at certain times of day. Or maybe it was a forest fire.

I really need to find the patience to go back through the older threads about the mysterious rumble a lot of us on ATS have heard. If memory serves me right, someone established on a map that a lot of the reports were clustered around the Appalachian range. There may indeed be something brewing under us. I sure hope not. I can't say I care to ever be anywhere near an active volcano either.

I hope this thread does not get dismissed out of hand just because this region's history of activity is an ancient one. If you look at its history, it sure did a lot over many hundreds of millions of years. In the historical account the narrative says such and such happened 250 million years ago, and such and such happened 750 million years ago. The such and suches being pretty major things and nothing is said about what the catalyst for the changes were or how long certain things took to happen. We all tend to think every single change took millions of years to happen. I'm sure some things did. But that doesn't mean certain occurrences that could be very significant to puny little humans couldn't have taken place quickly. Or even the slower ones could have given the kinds off signs of change we are seeing now. With so much corresponding and possibly interrelated movement of the earth going on now I think it is actually rather unscientific, given the history, to think absolutely nothing is going on at all on a large scale and that it is all business as usual. I'm not saying the earth is ending and the comet is coming to kill us all. But if you look at some other things going on like major changes in parts of Africa, I don't think it makes sense to rule out we are witnessing the earth once again gearing up to give herself another dramatic makeover and not the little touchups we are used to witnessing. Yeah it may take a hundred million years for her to leave the beauty parlor and we won't be around to see the new look. But maybe we are seeing the beginning.
edit on 5-9-2011 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Also from USGS, heres an EXCELLENT overview of the Appalachian Mountains and their geological history.

vulcan.wr.usgs.gov...

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

Well like I said anyone can call the park up and get the facts straight from the horses mouth, I am not trying to alarm anyone as I really don't know if it is cause for alarm or not but, that volcano was oozing black smoke. It wasn't a forest fire or mist, for one, mist is not black it's white or maybe even light grey but it's never pitch black, had it been a forest fire I highly doubt the park would be offering tours to the Volcano area or anywhere near that area and there would of been firetrucks, helicopters and the like, there would have been a hell of a lot more commotion, I brought it up to the park staff they said it was indeed a volcano and it was smoking. Unfortunately I didn't ask how long it was doing that for, it could of been smoking like that for a while, who knows. All I know is that shortly after my trip to VA and the drive through DC the quake occurred. Is it associated with he Volcano? I don't think so, well, I don't know but just thought it was interesting to note.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join