It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Wife Heard a Voice Last Night

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
This isn't a paranormal thread, so mods, please read before you send it over to the Paranormal Forum.

So, last night, I went to bed as why wife was watching some late night guilty-pleasure TV (one of those bridezilla type shows that she actually enjoys every now and then, if she's in the mood for obviously dumb TV). At 5:00 this morning, she wakes me up, after being troubled by something that happened to her downstairs a few hours before.

"I heard a voice downstairs," she said. "It came out of thin air."

"Okay," I said, "did you recognize it?"

"No. It was male, but I didn't recognize it as anyone I know."

"What did it say?"

She paused, and prefaced the quote, so as to give it proper context. "I was getting ready to gather up my sofa litter and had just turned off the TV, when this voice, clear as a bell, said 'Go...'. Just 'Go...'. And it was as loud as a normal person's voice would be and crystal clear. Not like a whisper, but as if someone was standing right in front of me and saying it in a normal voice. Only it was a voice I didn't recognize as being anyone I'm close to or deal with on a regular basis."

I waited for more description, but then she added. "What does it mean?" As if "Go..." might have some deeper significance than what such a statement generally means if uttered by a person, as opposed to coming out of thin air at 2:30 in the morning.

"So, that was it," I said. "Just 'Go...'."

"Well, yeah. It startled me. There wasn't anyone else in the room."

"...and if there'd suddenly been some strange guy in the room....that would've been better?"

She looked at me, her eyes squinting slightly. "Are you serious? I would've been terrified."

"Exactly," I smiled. "So, why does this word "Go...." have to mean anything?"

"Well..." she paused. "It came out of thin air. There wasn't anyone in the room, and yet there it was. And it was clear. I didn't imagine it. It has to mean something."

At this point, I realized that she was looking to me to make sense of it, since this sort of incident is pretty much right in the center of my "professional wheelhouse" - so to speak. I asked her if it was okay if I take my time in explaining what might've happened, and she agreed to allow me what time I needed. Then I asked her if she'd stay awake as I explained it, and she promised. This has not generally been the case, since this topic hasn't ever been a particularly compelling topic in our home. Not for her, anyway. So, I sat up in bed, and I began.

"The human brain is not even as simple as modern science makes it out to be. And considering how insanely complex it's been presented as being, that statement is something to consider. That said, the human brain is only part of the cognitive system that the human being employs as a survival suite of applications. The other major player in this system is the human mind - the existing result of all previous efforts of the human brain to maintain its own physical existence. Yeah, that human Intellect still exists, and being as it's as aware of itself as you are of yourself (in fact, exactly as aware, and in the same exact manner, since what you experience as awareness is the immediate experience of that Intellect as that experience is being loaded into your short term memory) it is just as interested in its own ongoing development as you'd assume it to be. And this is where humans differ from other, less intelligently aware, animals on this planet. Are you still with me?"

"I'm still here," she said.

"Okay. What you experience as awareness is a quickly engineered mixdown of residual information (long and short term memory), external stimuli (from the ears, eyes, nose, mouth, nerve endings) , and - in some cases - stimuli that is rarely slipped into the data stream by other, less perceivable data sources (chemical responses, dynamic information sources, environmentally stored residual information, event trajectory calculations performed as immediate survival responses by parts of the brain and directed subconsciously into the data mixdown to help with reflex response initiation) All of this is ongoing and it never ends. To suggest that the fact that it works at all is akin to a miracle is an understatement. To suggest that it should always work perfectly, is to present quite an expectation. The truth is that it doesn't work perfectly all the time, and even in the healthiest brain/mind partnerships.

"That male voice did exist, but very likely, it only existed within that short term memory data stream mixdown at that moment. Now, this isn't to suggest that you imagined it. This is to suggest that the presence of it, within the flood of other information clusters, could've been the result of a myriad of potential initiation sources. Lets look at just one.

"The long term memory system is packed with every data cluster that your brain has ever configured - but only as representative "residual information", and not as the actual dynamic data itself. That dynamic information (Intellect) still exists, but not within the brain's carbon data storage system. The brain stores representative data as part of the survival system, with most of it on speed dial so that you don't have to relearn everything again and again, as you're simply trying to survive each instant of corporeal existence. That data is accessed constantly, and your brain uses it to set a tool tray out (in a sense) to help you meet each new challenge with relevant experience to better manage each new challenge as they confront you. Simple to understand and completely reasonable. Hell, who doesn't believe that we learn from experience, and that this knowledge improves our ability to survive. It's obvious.

"Now, that voice - its timbre and tonal quality - may exist within that system, even if it never said "Go..." to you before. Even if you don't recall it. The data isn't stored in indivisible clusters. Each unit of data is accessible, configurable with all other units of information by the brain itself. That voice, saying any combination of syllables is very much what the brain is capable of configuring, and it's what the brain is all about - creating new and unique data clusters from information units that it has in storage. The introduction of that voice, into the incoming data stream, is certainly a plausible event - especially when you consider the amazing amount of stuff being inserted and rejected from that stream from instant to instant.

"Now, that it was as clear and real as it was, is a bit of an anomaly, but then, perception is the result of more eliminated data than included data, so what's anomalous, when dealing with perception? A quick disembodied voice saying "Go...." is pretty mild, considering the possibilities."

She frowned. "I thought it might mean something."

"Maybe it was just a chance for me to explain this stuff to you without you getting irritated with me?"

That made her smile, and we slept in until I got up a few hours later. I thought about it, and decided to share this with you folks. A lot of you look for deep answers as a result of very brief and inconclusive experiences. I just thought I'd let you in on how I feel compelled to view such anomalous instances. A chair lifting off the kitchen floor and taking out all the dishes on the sink board is one thing. A quick disembodied voice is something quite different. Just thought I'd share this bit of perspective.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
That is really interesting and strange.

Any idea of what it meant?

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
How do you she isn't thinking about leaving you?

Maybe that's why she heard "Go...Just Go...."

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Wow...only three replies until this kind of one. New record.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

Well...glad you have all things figured out...even with no evidence...that takes talent.

But I have to ask...did you really talk down to your wife like that...like she is a clueless idiot child that you have to enlighten???

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Fascinating breakdown of how the brain/mind works..As if it can,and in some cases does,'speak' to us in terms we can directly relate to and comprehend - Verbal command. There seems to be no room in your analysis for any other possible source or reason for her having 'heard' this command. Like you,I do look for a practical and mundane reason/answer for every occurrence before I look elsewhere,leaving it open to the possibility that the whole of everything cannot always be explained scientifically. Certain of us seem to be accessing parts of our brain/mind recently that have before now been closed to us,or to most of us at any rate.We are evolving. Is it beyond the scope of reason and possibility that your wife may have experienced,only briefly,an instant of higher intuitive faculties and that there is a message in what she was 'told',or that her higher mind is flexing it's muscles so to speak,preparing her for more of the same,and that if accepted by you both and not reasoned away or dismissed as static,she may just be meant to receive messages of a profound nature?

You've set my mind to racing,reaching,exploring. Thank you!

edit on 4-9-2011 by Qouth The Raven because: spell check

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

You sure don't seem like someone who would visit this site or contribute and listen to all the conspiracy theories here. Most of the kind of people who come here would be thinking WOW maybe we better pack and GO somewhere for a while...
PS we should know where you live in case a disaster strikes so we will know.
edit on 4-9-2011 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Lol, get real. No woman would put up with this kind of attitude.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

Originally posted by smithjustinb
Interesting.

How would you describe the process of visual hallucinations especially ones as profound as that experienced on '___' where there is no apparent reference for such hallucinations to arise?
edit on 4-9-2011 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

Data units are easily combine with other data units to craft unique clusters. '___' - like '___' - makes unique cluster configurations really easy to generate. I've been so wrecked on '___' - back in the early 70s - that the entire world was appearing before me as if it were on an enormous cylinder that I was walking on top of. I had to have a tripping buddy tend to me so that I wouldn't walk in front of a car or something. That sure as hell wasn't a referenceable hallucination. Information units are pretty small. A fact can include millions of information units. Most of the information units within your short and long term memory - if you could experience each of them as indivisible units, which is what each of them is - would not be recognizable to you. Like ingredients within a sauce, they generally lose their individual character within the identity of the mixture that contains them.

So you're saying that the world according to some specific information unit, the earth actually is a giant cylinder?

I would like to know more about these "information units". I am unfamiliar with them, but they sound very interesting.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

You sure don't seem like someone who would visit this site or contribute and listen to all the conspiracy theories here.
What the hell does that mean?

Serious question. I want to know.

I was not aware that only a certain type of person would be on this site.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
**** REMINDER ****

16e.) Illicit Activity: Discussion of illicit activities, specifically the use of mind-altering drugs & substances, engaging in computer hacking, promoting criminal hate, discussing sexual relations with minors, and furtherance of financial schemes and scams are strictly forbidden. You will also not link to sites or online content that contains discussion or advocacy of such material. Any Post mentioning or advocating personal use of illicit mind-altering drugs will result in immediate account termination.

i) Narcotics and illicit mind-altering substances: Due to abuse of the subject matter by some (promoting various aspects of personal use, and discussing actual personal use), no new topics on this subject are allowed in any form.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

You sure don't seem like someone who would visit this site or contribute and listen to all the conspiracy theories here. Most of the kind of people who come here would be thinking WOW maybe we better pack and GO somewhere for a while...
PS we should know where you live in case a disaster strikes so we will know.

It all depends on what forums you subscribe to.

If you spend your time on the "9/11 conspiracies" forum, you're going to believe that the government is out to get you.

If you spend your time on the "Philosophy and Metaphysics" forum, you might figure out what God is.

If you spend your time on the "Science and Technology" forum, you might figure out how the universe works.

Personally, I don't pay much attention to any of the conspiracy theories here, and I have found that ATS is a place where some of the smartest people on Earth come to contribute their information.

For me, ATS is hardly a conspiracy website unless you want to view it as one. For me, ATS is where I come to learn about God and the universe and how things work, and where I can come and talk to people who are interested in that sort of thing. It has been very helpful.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Sorry everyone for having been the first to mention the D word. Now I got us all in trouble.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Maybe it was God... Seeing how he talks down to her.... " Go...... "

I mean, OP, Do you really talk to her that way?

Not to be rude to the OP, but come on, you belittled her for believing it had meaning....

You have no idea what it even means and I find it funny that you think you know so much and you were not even there to witness it....

OP, with all due respect, I think you have just shown that you don't know nearly as much as you think you know. You come across as beyond arrogant and all I can say is... No wonder you had to beg her to stay up to listen to you...

I wouldn't listen to you either, if you talked down to me like that.... I would have been frowning at you as well. I can't blame her and fully understand why she gets irritated with you....

Now look, you don't know what the voice meant.... You may can speculate, but you don't know and your idea is just as valid as your wifes, who thought it meant something.

You know what I think the voice meant? Go to bed... Ignore the guy that you sleep next to.

Okay all that aside.... We don't know what it means. We don't know if it was even meant for her. Maybe it was just a once in a life time hallucination? I once woke up smelling smoke. Naturally I got up and got dressed really quick to leave the house, thinking it was on fire... But the smell lasted for about 5 seconds.... I searched the house over and over. No smoke or fire.... I had just woken up.....

Things happen. I mean,there is also the possibility of radio interference on the TV just as she was turning it off. I used to live about 2 miles down the road from a private airport. Sometimes if the conditions were right, the airplanes radio would interfere and you would pickup a bit of them talking,for just a second.

There are all kinds of possibilities.... Personally, I like the more paranormal ideas ( But that is just me) I don't believe in Angels, but who knows, maybe there is some one watching out for her.

Ultimately, she is the one that heard it and it is up to her to decide whether it has meaning and what that meaning is. Not you, not I, not anyone else.

edit on 4-9-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Scary story. A tad spookier but just as mysterious as mine.

The other night when I was clearing up my sofa litter before bed I turned on the overhead light and there was a huge bang and all the lights fused. So I had to lock up, go pee, then climb upstairs in the pitch black. Next morning we sorted the fuse and I found one of the bulbs had blown in our pretend chandelier.

Anyway, later on in the afternoon I'm sitting here at my cockpit when there was a loud crack noise from the middle of the living room, about 5 feet from me. (I live in a hobbit hutch, i.e. really small). It was like two snooker balls hitting each other really hard. I looked over at my dog who's at the other end of the room and she's also looking puzzled at the middle of the room.

I thought, oh maybe another light bulb has blown, even though it was the middle of the day and no lights were on.
The lights were fine, and I still don't know what that noise was.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

You sure don't seem like someone who would visit this site or contribute and listen to all the conspiracy theories here.
What the hell does that mean?

Serious question. I want to know.

I was not aware that only a certain type of person would be on this site.

I think my post explained already very well what i meant...feel free to disagree as smithjustinb does also.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join