It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents of seven told: Your children are too fat, so you will never see them again

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terrorist
reply to post by RisenAngel77

Allow me to clarify; I only think that child protective services should be invoked when there are particularly atrocious cases like this.

Assuming the kids in this pic are the kids in question, They look perfectly healthy to me, in fact in the U.S this is considered normal.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8c89ca646963.jpg[/atsimg]

Edit: Oh and don't forget the fact that sometimes people DO have big bones, it is not a myth. But either way, I don't see child abuse in this picture.
edit on 4-9-2011 by RisenAngel77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by RisenAngel77

Assuming the kids in this pic are the kids in question, They look perfectly healthy to me, in fact in the U.S this is considered normal.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8c89ca646963.jpg[/atsimg]

That is a very sad reflection on your society.

Being clinically obese is not normal.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Hmmmm...

Me thinks there is definately something missing in the story, but apparently in the varied reports I;ve read about them, the family simply refused to feed the kids anything but junk. Even in the monitored home, the council couldn't enforce a diet so was forced to monitor them eating junk. Even while they were under observation, this family made no effort to change.

Giving your kids a bad diet can and will be interpreted as abuse, if it is extreme enough. I believe that extreme Vegans have had their kids removed in the past for the exact same reasons.

On the one side, we have the family's rights being infringed upon, but what is being done isn't illegal because it has been ordered by the Courts. Bear in mind this is Scotland where they have a different set of Laws, so don't go branding this as some "fascist UK" crap

If they wanted to avoid all this, all they had to do was stop eating crap and at least attempt to eat a healthier diet, but it would appear they made NO EFFORT at all. I have now read 10 different media reports about this family and that is a consistent line among all of them.

But

At some point, the state is going to have to pick up the tab for their bad choices. And it will be a big tab too.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

They dont even look Obese, chubby yes, but not obese.

THIS is obese -_-

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e5a02b6fe066.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Terrorist

Allow me to clarify; I only think that child protective services should be invoked when there are particularly atrocious cases like this. I did some conversions of figures from the original article and it seems dubious whether this was indeed a case where social services' intervention was understandable.

While those children do definately look fat, I doubt it has passed the threshold when authorities need to be involved, too.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
You know what troubles me most about this??

These are kids. Just because they are overweight now does not mean they will remain that way. TV trash talk shows in the US even have shows about this, people who were fat, awkward, "geeky" who eventually grow up and look like super models. Just because these kids are overweight right now does that mean they will stay that way. Carrying around a few extra pounds does not automatically mean poor health and is not a sign of neglect.

If you think Obese means "a few extra pounds" you really don't have much say in this.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Normal? Normal? It bloody well isn't!

Look about on the net..Type "dundee council fat family foster care" and check out the various news reports.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by RisenAngel77
reply to post by Flyer

They dont even look Obese, chubby yes, but not obese.

THIS is obese -_-

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e5a02b6fe066.jpg[/atsimg]

No, that's MORBIDLY OBESE, these kids are indeed OBESE. The reason you don't think they look as such is because of the conditioning of the mind the media has put on you. Just because he doesn't LOOK obese, doesn't mean he isn't, you just think Obese is equivalent to being a whale. It's not.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
IMHO allowing children to become so badly obese that this kind of action is being considered is tantamount to abuse. Don't get me wrong, I was a wee bit porky when I was a lad, but I could run or ride my bike for miles because I still had good cardio and I spent 99% of my time outside playing (basketball, football, tag, etc) and enjoying myself and that was what kept me as fit as I was.

My mum realised just how important it was for the porky me to get regular exercise and she micro-managed my lifestyle accordingly. Anything else is just lazy/bad parenting.

Sure, I feel sorry for the kids, but this may be one of those occasions where intervention is needed. After all, if the children were malnourished they'd be taken in to care, so why not if they're obese?

It's a sad world really.

Rev

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   

No, that is super obese. Clinically obese can be is little as 30lbs overweight.

BMI Classification
< 18.5 underweight
18.5–24.9 normal weight
25.0–29.9 overweight
30.0–34.9 class I obesity = obese
35.0–39.9 class II obesity = mordidly obese
≥ 40.0 class III obesity = super obese

edit on 4-9-2011 by Flyer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Normal? Normal? It bloody well isn't!

Look about on the net..Type "dundee council fat family foster care" and check out the various news reports.

Last time I checked, I turned out fine and in fact im only 10 pounds overweight to what I want to be. Which is surfer condition. And I used to weigh 280 pounds around age 16.

The only hard time I had was because of bullies and people judging, but as I said, I am glad I went through that experience, because I LEARNED something. I learned not to be shallow.

Does this kid seem unhealthy to you?

An unhealthy kid would not do that imo, and this kid appears to be much chubbier than the kids the OP posted about.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terrorist
reply to post by EvanB

They should face some sort of legal penalty, because that's definitely child abuse, but I agree that it's extreme for them to be faced with the possibility of never again seeing their children.

It certainly is child abuse!

No child should become obese because of the food their parents provide...It is wrong on so many levels

I believe its the parents responsibility to provide a good diet for their offspring to develop healthily....Without the healthy diet these young people need there is a big chance of some if not all developing serious illness in later years....Fact!

You all know the illnesses related to obesity so I won't list them....

My problem is definitely with the way the social sevices have dealt with the whole situation

This could of been avoided had the Social Services had done a better job
No punishment was needed here.............. just EDUCATION!!!

As soon as the obesity was noticed in the children the parents should of been Educated or Re-educated if you like regarding Domestic Science and biology....nothing else is needed.....Just Guidance!

I hope these children do stay at home and get the proper help that they need .....................otherwise no other outcome is going to be nice

edit on 4-9-2011 by zerozero00 because: tidy up

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer

They clearly arent good parents. They dont deserve their kids if they are likely sending them onto a lifetime of health problems.

My friend had a fat kid, shes now 19 and still overweight by 50% and is huge.

A lifetime of health problems. Give me a break. Those health problems can be fixed quite fast when the kids grows a brain and realize being fat can be fixed if you work on it... or you can be fat and still be happy...

Being fat isn't ``evil`` as many people here seem to think... If you choose to be fat, you choose to most likely die earlier than the average guy but it doesn't make you a worst person...

People are really crazy trying to control everyone's behavior all the time.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
They tried to educate and teach the parents to get them to eat healthy.

They didnt care about changing and carried on making them eat crap.

They had their chance and failed. Its their own fault.
A good parent will make their child eat fruit and veg no matter how much they whine. If it was up to the kids, theyd eat nothing but mcdonalds and sweets which is clearly the case here.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

The trouble is the kids are too young to make that decision.
It was forced on them by the parents.

I couldnt give a crap if an adult chooses to be fat but it disgusts me when adults do this to kids and pets because they are lazy and selfish.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
When the state can dictate what I can and cannot eat, take my kids away then it has become too powefull and needs to be taken down.

If the government are that bothered about junk food why dont thry make healthy food more affordable? Because it sooo fricken is not! It costs a bloody fortune and if you are on a low income you have to get what you can afford!

What about the council tax penalties too when you try and grow your own??

If they really was that bothered about junk food then they should ban it.

I cant see them banning maccy d's soon though.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
They tried to educate and teach the parents to get them to eat healthy.

They didnt care about changing and carried on making them eat crap.

They had their chance and failed. Its their own fault.
A good parent will make their child eat fruit and veg no matter how much they whine. If it was up to the kids, theyd eat nothing but mcdonalds and sweets which is clearly the case here.

I don't know bout you, But i loved those burgers when I was a kid, I loved eating the fries. Oh the m&M's I ate, the chocolate ice creams, it was FUN to be a kid because you didn't have to worry about stuff like that. So to answer your post, No one made the kids eat anything, the kids enjoyed the meal which is their Right to do so.

Who are you to Judge?

Who are you to tell someone what to eat?

"he who is without sin cast the first stone."

and this isnt even a sin, kids will be kids. Noone knows the future as I said, I turned out fine especially when alot of people thought I would never lose weight and I proved them wrong.

Willy wonka anyone?

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Where has the assumption that the fat kids parents are providing a loving home? The father buggered off during the trial housing period. If he was the loving father you make out he would have stuck with the plan for the sake of his kids.

Surely purposely putting your kids health at risk is child abuse? Irrespective of the form of the health problem.

What we have is a western society full of obese people who just can't look themselves in the mirror to see who is at fault for their obesity. Instead they look for excuses, now science has given them a beaut : genetics! Well sorry to burst your bubble but genetics simply means you eat less than somebody else to remain the same weight. .

As far as I am aware nobody forces a gun to peoples heads to make them eat macdonalds.

The chip pan doesn't threaten the owner if it does not get used.

I have a problem with vegetables, to me they taste bitter and quite unpalatable, however mix them in with a chinese style sauce (home made to eliminate salt, sugar and fat) and hey presto palatable vegetables.

A bad diet is an excuse made by lazy people.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Sure kids will be kids, if it was up to them then every kid would be morbidly obese, thats why its up to the parent to teach them to eat and exercise correctly rather than feed them on junk food and let them play on the console as long as much as they want as long as they dont bother the parents.

I bought up my dog better than those people are bringing up their kids, I went out of my way to make sure he got the exercised he needed.

Im amazed anyone would condone this upbringing.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB
What about the council tax penalties too when you try and grow your own??

Say what?

What penalties are these? I am not aware of anything like that and I grow my own veg, as does my sister.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join