It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents of seven told: Your children are too fat, so you will never see them again

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Parents of seven told: Your children are too fat, so you will never see them again

www.dailymail.co.uk

Four obese children are on the brink of being permanently removed from their family by social workers after their parents failed to bring their weight under control. In the first case of its kind, their mother and father now face what they call the‘unbearable’ likelihood of never seeing them again. Their three daughters, aged 11, seven and one, and five-year-old son, will either be‘fostered without contact’ or adopted
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
This is disgusting!

This is starsi britain where your kids can be taken off you if they get fat

I thought we lived in a free country??

I know obesity is not good and helping people get to a healthy weight is good but you do not take kids away from a loving home and get them adopted out!!

This social services dept has gone way too far and cant understand why we are putting up with this.

What next?

Put up with this and your children could be next

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 4-9-2011 by EvanB because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
You know what troubles me most about this??

These are kids. Just because they are overweight now does not mean they will remain that way. TV trash talk shows in the US even have shows about this, people who were fat, awkward, "geeky" who eventually grow up and look like super models. Just because these kids are overweight right now does that mean they will stay that way. Carrying around a few extra pounds does not automatically mean poor health and is not a sign of neglect.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
You know what troubles me most about this??

These are kids. Just because they are overweight now does not mean they will remain that way. TV trash talk shows in the US even have shows about this, people who were fat, awkward, "geeky" who eventually grow up and look like super models. Just because these kids are overweight right now does that mean they will stay that way. Carrying around a few extra pounds does not automatically mean poor health and is not a sign of neglect.

I was that fat obese kid.

Then I lost it all

If it was now, it could have been me ripped away from my amazing mom and dad.

I knew a kid whose mom was a social service worker, and he was fat.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
This is very sick. The parents should get the kids and leave that totalitarian state that is the UK.

The UK is really 1984. We should invade it and freedomize it.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

They should face some sort of legal penalty, because that's definitely child abuse, but I agree that it's extreme for them to be faced with the possibility of never again seeing their children.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
This reminds me of when we used to take away the children of gypsies that would'nt settle down so that we could "civilise" them.

Our society seems to be following a strange path into somthing not unlike eugenics.

Anyone diffrent is wrong, these days.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Obese kids face all kinds of problems.

Yes, take them away - give them a life.

My son lived here in NZ with me - then he went to Greece with his father and became obese - because his Greek grandmother fed him too much.

You are not loving someone by feeding them too much.

+27 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

Says who? You? Better a fat kid with a loving family than a skinny kid that is beaten by his father who's on drugs.

What ya think? Not to mention the history of the people running the ``social services`` being a bunch of pedophiles... where is this kid gonna end up? In a government facility where he will have no family? In a family where he will be abused? In a family where he will be ignored?

Destroying a family because some holier-than-thou think everyone should be 100% fit all the time is some uber BS...

Hell is paved with good intentions, remember that, CONTROL FREAKS.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

weigh up whats worse, the emotional and physical harm of being chubby or loosing your parents...

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I just posted same story here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

but never mind.

I think it's ridiculous. The council spent money housing this family in a big brother style unit for two years to be closely monitored and watched by social workers, even while they ate, and even to the point of having a curfew put on them. That should be illegal. But they didn't get help sorting out a proper diet? They should have educated the parents while they were there

And what if it's genetic fatness. They found a fat gene not too long ago. Have the family been tested for that?

What about the psychological damage to the kids, surely that's worse than being called tubby at school? This family has done nothing wrong, other than they are all overweight. What about fat social workers and their fat kids?
edit on 4-9-2011 by wigit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I don't think they should take them away because they will probably face other types of abuse in the hands of the state. I think they should get tough by having the family go to some sort of weight loss clinic every two days and getting the schools involved so they give the children more activity like having an extra physical education lesson a week. Also mum and dad should be sent to some sort of self esteem building programme

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
This is definitely crazy, and I hope it is just a case of sensationalist Daily Mail journalism. I do think that obese children need to be taken care of and it is basically child abuse, but taking the children away without contact is no better, IMHO.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Terrorist

So according to you my mother abused me too huh? I was fat as well, the only abuse I got was from people who were shallow all the way through highschool. I am glad my mom let me eat as much as I wanted, saved me from becoming one of those kids who's ego were off the roof just because I liked the way I was.

btw, am I obese now? No I am not, I lost the weight just like OP did. And I love my mom and dad dearly.

No kids should be taken away from their parents, THAT is child abuse right there. The trauma from that would haunt a child for the rest of his life. I remember being young and being afraid of being separated from my parents. To forcibly remove a child like that is just plain wrong. I can't even believe you defended this action.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Good, making your kids fat is a form of child abuse.
They will likely stay fat all their life and have health problems.

If you want to keep your kids, teach them to eat properly instead of feeding them crap to keep them quiet.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

Are you kidding me? Do you realize what you are saying? How would you like it if you were taken away from your parents at a young age when you are attached to them?

I think im gonna get off this thread now before I say something that will get me banned

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by RisenAngel77

Allow me to clarify; I only think that child protective services should be invoked when there are particularly atrocious cases like this. I did some conversions of figures from the original article and it seems dubious whether this was indeed a case where social services' intervention was understandable.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by RisenAngel77

They clearly arent good parents. They dont deserve their kids if they are likely sending them onto a lifetime of health problems.

My friend had a fat kid, shes now 19 and still overweight by 50% and is huge.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
Good, making your kids fat is a form of child abuse.
They will likely stay fat all their life and have health problems.

If you want to keep your kids, teach them to eat properly instead of feeding them crap to keep them quiet.

So you would rip kids away from a loving home and put them in an institution where they WILL be abused?

What about the trauma the kids will suffer of being taken from their mom, dad and extended family?

That will mess them up more than being overweight!

If this was my family the social services may be prepared to die if they tried to take my kids! In fact they would have to get through a lot of people and I dont fancy their chances much!

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Thats not far from where I live.. wow, im shocked, who the hell do you turn to in these conditions!?

Sometimes I wonder if just wiping the whole planet out and 'starting again' is the only way forward.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join