It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Republican Senators weighing on Dismantling CIA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Today it was revealed by a Republican senator, Pat Roberts, that the Senate Intelligence Comittee Republicans had proposed removing the United States largest intelligence gathering operations from the Central Intellegence Agency and put the operations under the direct control of a national Intelligence director.

rds.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON Aug. 22, 2004 � Senate Intelligence Committee Republicans proposed removing the nation's largest intelligence gathering operations from the CIA and the Pentagon and putting them directly under a new national intelligence director.

Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan., the committee chairman, unveiled on Sunday the most sweeping intelligence reorganization proposal offered by anyone since the Sept. ll commission called for major changes. In an appearance on CBS' "Face the Nation," Roberts acknowledged that full details had yet to be shared with either the White House or with Senate Democrats.

"We didn't pay attention to turf or agencies or boxes" but rather to "what are the national security threats that face this country today," Roberts said of the proposals supported by eight GOP members of the intelligence committee. "I'm trying to build a consensus around something that's very different and very bold."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is of course a very surprising proposal. If the republican side of the committee could get this to happen, it would mean that the Pentagon and the CIA's powers of intellegence would be limited, and under control of a possibly better organization. The CIA is claiming that they have had a dramatic improvement in their communication with other agencies, and that congress should be careful about the proposal.

[edit on 8-22-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I must ask this. Which of the two scenarios seem most likely to be real?

1. The government is taking measures to limit its powers.

2. The government is taking measures to convince us that it is limiting its powers.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Well terrorism is not going to be destroyed with the use of tanks and stealth bombers... but with intelligence....... the intel services either ignore or were too incompetent to stop the 9-11 incident... now they want to dismantle the intel services more?

Looks like suicide, this is indeed a backwards government not working in favor of the people.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I see a HUGE problem with the CIA and Pentagon intel agencies being under a National Director, I see the posse comitatus act being iolated and CIA actions against Americans on American soil.

THIS DISTURBS ME GREATLY!!!

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
when I posted it...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

this is the scariest thing since the patriot act.
how can we stop this from happening?
Kerry loves the idea too.

[edit on 22-8-2004 by bunkbuster]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Talk about this proposition being a wolf in sheep's clothing... I don't know exactly how I'm feeling about this, but it's safe to say that I'm not feeling inspired. The dismantling of a beast like the CIA seems like it could only be a good thing, but to be replaced with what could potentially be a bigger and meaner beast... GULP! The only way we can stop things like this is to stop playing our parts in this little game and convince others to do the same. If everyone quit going to work and marched on all of our local capitols, courthouses and government buildings then we could at least force their hand lol. What do you think the chances are that everyone is going to put down their cheese burgers, turn off their big screen TVs and do something about the hand that is slowly tightening around their throats? HA! In other words... there's nothing we can do about it lol.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a desperate gamble by republican that hinges on the next presidental election, to gather enough power back before war on the direct front is started. of course it still has to pass through congress.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedOctober90
Well terrorism is not going to be destroyed with the use of tanks and stealth bombers... but with intelligence....... the intel services either ignore or were too incompetent to stop the 9-11 incident... now they want to dismantle the intel services more?

Looks like suicide, this is indeed a backwards government not working in favor of the people.

notice his title, socalist. now notice what the effect of his comments are if you were to follow them. So if he is a socalist and is for keeping intel the way it is and building on them? (i dont think this is intentional howerver, but bias reads bias for bias) see the two sides of the conflict ?

to the opposite effect notice indy's statement. hes right of course that its going to be built on either way.... indy is just a norm dude...

there probably is nothign we can really do , but we should try and start here first.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I have very mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I believe the CIA and more-so Military Intel operate as rogue operations, without laws or controls. They span mulitple administrations and certainly start creating their own policies and agendas. On the other hand the US congress and president are basically wh*res for corporate [expatriot] America, writting reams of corrupt legislation.

The real question is which set of criminals would be better off controlling US intelligence? I am inclined to think we should just scrap the National government all together. State govenments are much closer to the people and somewhat easier to keep an eye on for corruption.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I cannot believe I missed this commentary!

It is time for every one to consider "civilian" alternatives. If something like this is going to be even considered, the times must be really bad. Sort of like the "overtime" issue that is going on also.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Everything the US Government is doing seems to more or less benefit the rich.

Especially with this overtime thing.. its going to hurt the worker. Some workers make there survival pay off of over-time.. and now they plan to cut it out?

The reality is in this country we need blue-collared working class jobs... not everyone is going to have a 4 year degree... it just doesen't work that way. It's just going to increase the unemployment rate. But it is truly another scheme to eliminate the working class or as I call them "the thinking class" Becuase once you get rid of people able to see that something is wrong in government.. you own all.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 08:00 AM
link   
This, quite simply, is a bad idea. The CIA is full of some of the brightest people in the country. The reason for bad intel in the middle east is inherent in it's nature. Middle eastern leaders are surrounded by FAMILY as their advisors, subordinates, etc. making it VERY difficult to infiltrate or recruit agents on the inside. Factor in the internet as a means of communicating worldwide, instantaneously, and for the most part covertly, and you can see what the CIA is up against. Now combine that with an incompetent President and administration, which likes to leak out the names of spies, and you end up with a mess. BUT, that isn't the fault of the CIA, but the amateurs in the administration...that don't listen to the seasoned intel vets. It today's world, an agency such as the CIA is needed now more than ever.

Human intel is the key to fight terrorism, and the CIA understands this. How much data and intel will be lost in transferring this power? An unimaginable amount, I'd wager....

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   
What the administration is doing is replacing this agency with his own clowns that will answer to him and Cheney. So if something does not look good for the administration it can be tamper and fix before it gets to the public or leak away.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Human intel is the key to fight terrorism, and the CIA understands this. How much data and intel will be lost in transferring this power? An unimaginable amount, I'd wager....

IMO, this has little to do with improving intel and everything to do with the formation of the Fatherla-..., er, Homeland Secret Police.

Doesn't anybody remember these guys, or these guys, or this nightmare?

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   
How could something like that even work? I mean, when we packed up files and moved to a different office once it took us a week or so just to get everything situated again. Could the CIA be able to successfully gather and interpret intelligence during a reorganization?

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Looks like we'll have some real "Enemy of the State" incidents coming soon. Character and physical assassinations on the way.

Gazrok hit some good points about the quality of intel and the ease of gathering it in the family-based clans of the middle east.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Here the San Jose Mercury News reports of CIA drug dealing, subsequently picked up by Washington Post and Los Angeles Times:

"For the better part of a decade, a San Francisco Bay Area drug ring sold tons of coc aine to the Crips and Bloods street gangs of Los Angeles and funneled millions in drug profits to a Latin American guerrilla army run by the US Central Intelligence Agency." So begins the controversial three part series, published last August, by Gary Webb in the San Jose Mercury News.
www.pbs.org...

Here is an affidavit from helicopter pilot of the US Army from 1982 to 1986 Dois Gene Tatum of the CIA importing Drugs into the US from Central America.

Among these activities were rampant drug smuggling into the United States involving people in control of the Central Intelligence Agency, the Drug Enforcement Administration, the armed forces of the United States, among others.
www.wethepeople.la...

Here is Michael Ruppert former LA narcotics officer who has tried for years to tell the story of CIA's involvment in supplying drug in US:

MICHAEL C. RUPPERT is a former Los Angeles Police Department narcotics officer who for over twenty years has been trying to bring to public attention his first-hand knowledge of CIA complicity in the drug trade flooding our inner cities with hard drugs as an apparent covert funding mechanism for the weapons trade for destabilizing populations around the world for their economic exploitation.
www.angelfire.com...

This is from a Memorandum sent to Robert W. Markle United States Attorney:
Here is Paublo Escobar Gaviria (a questionable source, but with little reason to lie) saying Bush used to deal with drug importers, but had since become tough.

". . . Bush is a traitor who used to deal with "us" but now he is tough.
www.wethepeople.la...
In a subsequent page of the same document

According to Rudd, Escobar stated that the cartel then off-loaded the guns, put coc aine aboard the planes and the coc aine was taken to United States military base(s)

Rudd has stated that while Escobar did not say the CIA was involved in the exchange of guns for coc aine, that was the tenor of the conversation.
www.wethepeople.la...

This is from the murder case of Barry Seal and his involvment with CIA and oddly enough associates Al Gore with the sentencing phase of the trial.
Samuel S. Dalton Attorney in his affidavit

. . . uncovered what he suspected was a plot by CIA, Barry Seal and the Contras of the ownership of a surplus Navy Minesweeper called the "Stark" later changed to "Condor" based off the coast of California;
www.wethepeople.la...

top topics

join