It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto's Dirty Little Secret: Anniston, Alabama

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by isthisreallife

I knew of Anniston, Alabama from friends of mine who have gone there to do cleanup work and describe it as working in hell. I was surprised that when I read the OP that the real story here wasn't covered. It is a MUCH bigger problem than PCBs. MUCH BIGGER.

The other little dirty secret at Anniston, Alabama that is not brought out in OP's article is that the chemicals manufactured by the Monsanto plant were used in the manufacture of chemical weapons. Anniston, Alabama is the site of the Anniston Army Depot. PCBs are NOT the only problem here...

The U.S. government is also complicit here, and I hate to say it because I hate Monsanto so much but they are probably more complicit than Monsanto.

Solid and liquid wastes generated from past activities have included metals, cyanide, phenols, pesticides, herbicides, chlorinated hydrocarbons, petroleum hydrocarbons, solvents, acids, chelating agents, asbestos, and creosote. Contaminants of concern have been identified in both soil and ground water, including lead, thallium, antimony, and chromium.

As part of an ongoing SIA ground water investigation, the Army has completed a private well inventory to identify well owners whose wells supply a primary drinking water source. One private well adjacent to the SIA, that used to supply a commercial catfish pond, revealed volatile organic compound (VOC) contamination well above safe drinking water standards. The Army purchased the catfish pond property in 2007. Additionally, the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry has issued a health consultation concluding that no adverse health effects are expected due to consumption of the fish from the former ponds.

edit on 4/9/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

DuPont dumped tons of the stuff into the Niagra River when they operated a plant to rebuild transformers upstream from Naigra Falls...they found the stuff in the food chain in the Artic traced to that dump...all over the world..as for Monsanto,nothing they do surprises me

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Thats kinda, well is scary
I lived on Ft.McClellan from 1975-1982.

I wonder if this has anything to do with some of my health problems

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cohort
Thats kinda, well is scary
I lived on Ft.McClellan from 1975-1982.

I wonder if this has anything to do with some of my health problems
Probably...my Bud was an Asst Mgr of Ryans Steak House there and he died young..weird health problems that the VA(he was a vet) couldnt/wouldnt diagnose...

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by gandamack2

Im a Vet. Also, and the VA nor civy docs. cant seem to find anything wrong with me, still work full time though, I dont "leach" off the system

;

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Cohort

Take Care...thanks for your service

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Isn't Fort McClellan closed now? I know the National Guard facility is still there, but I thought the fort was closed.

Monsanto is Hitler. Why we entrust a Corporation that produced DDT, Agent Orange and Aroclor to design and sell our FOOD supply, is beyond me.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Yes the fort is closed, but the old military housing is now being rented/owned by civilians.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I was there back in 1987 @ Fort Mcclellan, man if I only knew how bad things was/is !

www.veteranstoday.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Let's start the boycotts! Here are some of their products to avoid purchasing:

www.30bananasaday.com...

And...

www.ethicalinvesting.com...

But they also own many smaller companies and have been on a wave of purchasing organic based companies. They have been very active in genetically altering our seed base, so even growing your own may not help much! What a travesty.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
i hope that you have all read:
'the Seeds of Deception' by Jeff Smith.
www.seedsofdeception.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

I had never heard of the gators before. 450 miles from the city? That would almost be to the Gulf of Mexico.

I know money is just paper, but it means more than that. It means that for the first time, Monsanto/Solutia will have to take responsibility for their systematic killing of Anniston residents. It also gives them the means to receive treatment for their ailments.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by inbound

I have a little history with this area. My ex wifes parents live in Gadsden which is not far away. My father was stationed at Mcclellan for a short time before going to vietnam. He told me they had mock ups of vietnamese villages for training out there. At the height of their "career" if you will, they had the largest stockpile of chem weapons in the US, per my father, who spent many days guarding it. About 4 years ago I was in Gadsden with the inlaws. We were sitting on the porch and some sirens started to wail. I said to my mother in law "are those tornado sirens?" she said no those go off every tuesday, they are in case of an accident at the army base. I said Mcclellan? She said yea, and had that really dumb look on her face. I asked her if that concerned her and she said no, why? I filled her in. I find it kinda weird that an army base that suppposedly no longer houses these things tests the sirens every tuesday. That whole area is a little strange. I was browsing the local newspaper one morning and flipped through the realestate section just to look at local pricing and was amazed. Home prices are probably 70% lower than the rest of the country and rentals are ridiculously cheap. Not much industry or work oppurtunity except for Goodyear tire plant

Oh the base is long gone. Now it the Anniston Chemical Agent Disposal Facility. At its height, McClellan carried over 7% of our nations nerve agents, including VX Gas and Serin. Now, they are in the process of destroying the agents, and have (I believe) destroyed all of the VX gas. Still, there is Serin gas which is well known as a highly lethal weapon.

The reason the real estate is so cheap is due to location. Its terrible.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Yet another list of Monsanto products to avoid (scroll down):

www.care2.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Monsanto now owns the former Blackwater private army.
The name has changed to Xe but they bought Blackwater out last year.
Why do you suppose that an agricultural company needs a private army?
Think about it!They are well aware of the growing public knowledge and distain that they are getting from the public.
They expect uis to begin to fight them physically soon.Hence they now have their own army of trigger happy lethal killers(see Iraq massacres.)
They are readying themselves for the onslaught that will come when we find out just how badly theyve screwed up the environment around the world.
Not to m,ention they are storing seeds of everything possible in a seed bank up in the arctic.
Why you ask?Because they are changing and manipulating just about everything people eat.
Time to go to war with these killers and their cronies .
Far past time to boycott their crap.
We act soon or its too late. thats the real situation.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT
Just wanna say I'll be back here to spend some time. I've become very interested in the GMO issue for the last year as well.

I'm not far from Anniston, I'm a videographer/editor, my background is in news, I went to boot camp and AIT at Fort McClellan and while my motion graphics aren't as polished as the other two I recently made this little movie.

I'm thinking I might wanna do a mini-doc on this. Oh yeah I'm thinking that. Mebbe we should talk.

Thanks for fighting the good fight brother! Brilliant job writing and all.

edit on 4-9-2011 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

Nicely done video - GREAT music track. How about some music credits, I might want to find some of that for my iPod.

Anyway, I am starting to think about buying produce locally. There is a new farmers market near where I live, and another established one as well. Fortunately the local supermarkets do use local produce a lot since this is New Mexico in the middle of nowhere and shipping costs probably encourage them to do that.

If anyone with a biotech background wants to make a lot of money, here's an idea for you: Make an inexpensive, commercial test kit that detects GM in your food. I don't know if that's even possible, but it would be nice to be able to tell if the corn I bought is Monsanto frankenmaize.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Corn was their Jump-Off (they own ALL the corn patents)but now they own everything else or are working on owning it....the lawsuits by them against farmers over the seed spread from one (paid for) crop to a neighboring farmers fields by wind and other natural spread is a good example...in the Midwest farmers buy their years seeds and plant them...the wind blows them into the next land over and it grows...Monsanto is suing the nextdoor farmers for patent infringement
edit on 4-9-2011 by gandamack2 because: dawgsbaine

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Holy Hell! That is frightening! We are all so screwed on so many levels. Get me off this rock!!!

Edit: My boycotts comments were dry sarcasm. I think it is virtually impossible to avoid their evil hand. That was the point I was trying to get across. Monsanto is but only one part of the evil grip upon this Earth. We let it all go to far.
edit on 4-9-2011 by wrathofall because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

it is not 'humanity' it is sociopaths making these decisions.
the problem is if you are normal, you worry about not just your fellow human, but making mistakes, hurting people, etc.

2-4% of the population are sociopaths, and they tend to gravitate to positions of power. from top, the decisions were made to contaminate. because the sociopath on top, to him, it is not 'wrong' to contaminate. to that guy, the solution was just to dump the garbage, so it 'not his problem anymore' so in his deformed brain, its gone, and that is all he cares about.

why do you think there is war, taxes, etc. AND if you inbreed in small genetic circles, which the [self perceived] elitists do, there is a higher rate of negative genetic traits, which means more and more sociopaths being born.

we just need to stop the sociopaths, to round them up, so to speak, and the world could truly be at peace.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by dantanna

Welcome to the United States of Obamia...where the sociopaths rule both house of Congress,ALL the Courts and Gollywood

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join