It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Lights Over the Park

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I indeed tend to ignore topics regarding aliens or UFO's, as they're basically much too speculative and intangible. However, very recently something has happened which makes me think twice.

Last night I got bored and chose to take a little walk up to the park. Long story short, as I was walking, I noticed something rather odd moving throughout the night sky, perpendicular to the road. It basically looked exactly like a star, yet was moving swiftly. And no, this was no shooting star - those are extremely short-lived, and this thing was clear to see. It looked absolutely nothing like any ordinary aircraft I have ever seen. It was basically just a small speck of light; again, just like a star, except moving quickly in a straight line.

It was rather dark by the time I got to the park, which is maybe about a half mile away from my place. I sat down on a bench and tried to relax, despite the mosquitoes, whom were doing a decent job of ruining my time. Now yet again, long story short, I saw several more of these "flying stars"; maybe about five or so. They all moved in a straight line, and if my memory serves me correctly, they were all moving either north or south. Throughout this time there were also several ordinary airplanes moving about high in the sky at different intervals, many more so than one would see otherwise. I also recall seeing a strange, small flash of light in the night sky, in the corner of my eye. I couldn't take my eyes off any of this; my neck started to ache from looking up. After, I think, about a half hour of this or so, I headed back and that was that.

Now, a simple question: Does anybody here have any idea what the hell I could have saw?

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
pics or it didn't happen

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Bleak

Maybe satellites in this case? Then again, they could have been something else.
I'm a believer in the ''something elses'' btw... from my own experiences.

But starlike and straight lines.... imo, most likely satellites...? but I could be wrong.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Sounding like satellites to me.
I recently was watching the sky and seen one satellites travel North to South then shortly after one go South to North with one following behind it after around 5 minutes.

Satellites move along pretty decent and don`t change speed or course.

Find your location on this map on Heavens Above and they will show all sorts of good info on Satellites and the ISS just so you can get an idea how many are really up there..

www.heavens-above.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleak
I indeed tend to ignore topics regarding aliens or UFO's, as they're basically much too speculative and intangible. However, very recently something has happened which makes me think twice.

Now, a simple question: Does anybody here have any idea what the hell I could have saw?

If you want a rational explanation I think a satellite in orbit fits the bill. No harm in thinking twice and considering the extraordinary as there are more than a few sightings that are indeed unidentifiable.

edit to add A startling random consensus remarkable

edit on 9/3/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Yes...this definitly sounds like a satellite. When I was a kid...my friends and I would look for them while we camped. Satellites have many varying orbital paths so you could see one flying by in any direction...but they all pretty much fly in a straight line...while it may look a bit curved.

A tell tale sign of it being one is as it flys by and moves lower toward the horizon....it will seem to disapear...as a person is viewing it from a great distance through much thicker atmosphere at the horizon. A plane....being much closer...would still be seen. Split Infinity

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Youtube video with bad music..

or it didn't happen..

lol..J/K..

cool story though...

makes you wonder..

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Feeling a bit like an idiot now!

But if these were merely satellites, then that begs the question: how common is it to see several of them in such a small period of time?

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Bleak

It's impossible to say for sure without seeing exactly what you saw, but I'm fairly certain that you saw satellites. Satellite watching is a big hobby of mine and they behave exactly as you have described. Some you can see for a long time as they move across the sky. Others will be a quick flash or a serious of quick flashes... looks kind of like a camera flash in the sky. What actually causes the flash is the reflection of the sun off of the solar panels on the satellite as it turns over. Most sat watchers call that a "flare". Another type of flare is an iridium flare. That happens when you see a sat moving along, it gets bright really quickly and then fades back to the way it was before.

It is also common to watch a satellite move along for a pretty good distance and then seem to disappear. This happens when it moves into the Earth's shadow and out of direct sunlight.

I think it's fun to watch them. I started out watching them by doing the same thing you did. I saw a few when I stayed outside one night. When I figured out that they were satellites, I started looking for them on purpose. I look for them several times a week now. Sometimes it's normal to see up to 30 or so a night.

edit on 9/3/2011 by gemineye because: spelling

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Bleak

Have seen a lots like you did in a short period of time.... Well, at least that is what I concluded they were, accepting the logical explanation of course. So I'd say it is common. I'm no expert though, but I have experienced same.

Glad to know someone else in this world is LOOKIN' UP!
Love it when folks have their eyes open!

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Bleak

This page can help you tremendously with observing satellites:

Heavens Above Home

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Bleak

You never know for sure though. We may be wrong.

Here in this video it will give you an idea on how busy it is up there. Don`t know how they did this or if it`s even accurate but it looks pretty neat.

www.youtube.com...

Those 3 I seen the other night were pretty close together like 15 minutes. If the video don`t work. I`m working on correcting it.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Bleak

Don't feel like an idiot! Most people don't know that satellites are visible because there aren't that many people that really spend time looking at the sky these days. And even if you are looking at the sky, it's very easy to miss a satellite unless you're looking for one.

There's space junk and other stuff that can be seen up there too. Spent fuel tanks, rocket bodies, etc. The ISS is VERY easy to see. It's very bright! The shuttle was easy to see too, but since they retired it, I don't suppose we'll be seeing that anymore.
Basically, anything that is in orbit that can reflect a good amount of sunlight can be seen from Earth. Then there are times when you see things that you just don't know what they are, lol. I like those times the best, hehe.

edit on 9/3/2011 by gemineye because: just can't spell tonight

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Bleak

The time of the night has a big impact on viewing sattlelites. The best times are an hr and a half before sunries, or a hr and a half after sunset. If the sattlelite is in the terminator ( the line that devides the lit and unlit part of the Earth) It can be bathed in sunlight,, while the observer see's it from the dark. Making it seem to produce it's own light ,or fade into nothing. Some sattlelites rotate, wich give them the illusion of flashing.

join