It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible PTSD triggers, is anyone feeling this as well?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

That's tough to deal with, I'll keep them in my prayers, I guess that's all we can do in this situation.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mandisita
reply to post by LittleBirdSaid

My husband is a vet of OIF 1 & 2, medically discharged with PTSD (among other things.) Thank you for the info about natural remedies- I will definitely be looking into those. None of the prescriptions he was given worked at all.. actually, most of them made his symptoms worse. We have found a certain medication that works well... but its not legal in all states.

In response to the OP, my husband sometimes because hyper-vigilant at night, but not always. Sometimes his senses just go off and he speeds off to go check something out. Another person commented that you may have picked up on something else in the area and i tend to agree. I've heard a lot of "i just knew someone was there" or the like.

Was there a particular threat you remember that happened at night? If a specific traumatic event happened at night it could be a trigger that is specific to you.

No particular threat came to mind. I was walking through the woods, listening to the night sounds and reminiscing about camping with my friends when I was a teen. Good times.

Then all of a sudden, my "Spidey" senses went off the scale...no warning. Really strange. If I was armed at the time, I probably would have pulled my weapon, it was that bad. Upon returning home, it got me to thinking, is there something wrong with me? Or was I actually instinctually responding to a possible threat without even seeing it?

Sorry, “Spidey” senses is the only thing I could think of that related to the feeling.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mandisita

Chinese medicine is also pretty good for herbal remidies. I personally can not take st John's wort (sends me crazy ). But I did go to a qualified chinese medicine doctor and he gave me a course of pretty disgusting stuff to boil up and drink, but it really did help.

www.tcmpage.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by AliceBlackman
I personally recommend Cognitive Behaviour Therapy,

The main premise is as soon as you notice the anxiety / panic / other reactions, try to think about exactly what you were thinking about, rate how bad you feel on a scale of 1 - 10 ... Identify the hot thought (this took me about 3 weeks before I actually heard my "hot thoughts" ... then attempt to re think / re frame // answer the hot thought .. (i.e this is just a biological response to something that reminded me of something terrible , I'm currently not in that situation etc, then once you've reframed rate how you feel again. The rating is important because it helps us see that addressing the hot thought, coming up with alternative explanations actually lessens the physical response the more the exercise is practiced.

This method is great because it provides relief without actually having to go back and pick at scars and scabs that can frankly send some of us over the edge.

www.rcpsych.ac.uk...

I appreciate your responses on this - but I have found traditional therapy has not been helpful for me. As a former military member I find the organized, timed approach to CBT to rather rattle my anti authority buttons. I have had some pretty over eager therapists think they are going to fix my military stalking, rape, and multiple War stressors with cognitive methods. I think this is an excellent approach for many but might not work for complicated multiple trauma events. My PTSD is complex and ingrained. I don't feel I will ever be over it, be healed or have normal relationships again and I have been home and in therapy since 2003.
Part of this for military members is the extistential crisis of being involved in War - needs to be addressed as well. I mean many service members loose their religion, their faith in humanity, and CBT while excellent doesn't address the full spectrium.

What helps me, talk therapy, psycho analysis at my own pace, not to be determined by insurance or processes. I do not want agendas placed on my healing. I was a good solider for 21 years - I need time to determine what is best for me. I am fortunate that I have theraputic support that understands and allows me to work at healing at my own pace and not be retraumatized by a "fix it" method. I want to point out that I also have a brain injury - and I am a female veteran of combat something sort of new to the theraputic world, so they may have to relook at some of these processes to address the new needs of myself and my peers.

Mindfulness (meditation) and unstructured therapy have helped me - not healed me - but the allow me to function.
Just my two cents.
edit on 4-9-2011 by LittleBirdSaid because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by AliceBlackman
reply to post by mandisita

Chinese medicine is also pretty good for herbal remidies. I personally can not take st John's wort (sends me crazy ). But I did go to a qualified chinese medicine doctor and he gave me a course of pretty disgusting stuff to boil up and drink, but it really did help.

www.tcmpage.com...

Agree, and yoga can help still the mind as well.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by mandisita
reply to post by LittleBirdSaid

My husband is a vet of OIF 1 & 2, medically discharged with PTSD (among other things.) Thank you for the info about natural remedies- I will definitely be looking into those. None of the prescriptions he was given worked at all.. actually, most of them made his symptoms worse. We have found a certain medication that works well... but its not legal in all states.

Please be careful to not take relaxation herbs and try and drive till you know how you'll react. I had mild hallucinations with the catnip. Just imagry stuff. I thought there was something wrong with my eyes. May of my Veteran friends, some very sick with Gulf War sydnrome set issues, have found relief in herbal and natural methods. I think there is so much to be gained as I have found help for my own issues the natural way.

A calm down at night method that is over the counter and works very well is Benedryl. Many years ago I worked in a psychiatric hospital and they used this to calm the patients. Please be careful folks with VA meds, they really like to write them - and they do in fact make many people worse. Human support is the BEST remedy for PTSD. True listening and a network of compassion. I have a small network of Veteran buddies - found on line, and we are a lifeline to each other. We have been there - done that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join